• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we really even need an "E3 season" or announcement shows at all?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The way I see it it feels more like an outdated tradition for an industry that simply does not have enough content to truly justify a show

when devs were able to whip up games in 1-2 years of course E3 season would have something nice to show all the time. But when you're in the modern day where a 4 year gap between a game and it's sequel is considered "fast", and you've gotta find hordes of mid indies, AA soulslike clones, GaaS and advertisements for other industries to pad the time- what's the point? why have a summer season for all this stuff when we can just drop trailers on YT and forget about it entirely?

The last year where something like this could be justified was 2023, but we're no longer in that time and at this rate we're never going to see another year like it in the 2020s again. I think that these corps (and you people on the forum too) should stop wasting people/our time and just stop bothering with these shows.

spons

Gold Member
yeah it's all pointless, but on the flip side it makes Geoff a hell of a lot of money.

Robb

Gold Member
Well we obviously don’t ‘need’ it since it’s dead. But I’d definitely enjoy if there was a set time/date close to each other for all of the big three to have their shows on. I’d also enjoy more competition/comparisons between these shows so that each publisher brings their A-game. Having them close together would help with that I think.

Saying that there’s no content makes no sense to me when they all have shows around this time anyway.

It's not the lack of games releasing that make recent showcases disappointing.
Games have never been better, honestly. But publishers have realized they don't need to market their games years before release. Arguably the two biggest games of the year will be Assassin's Creed Shadows and Dragonage Veilguard. Yet, we have seen no gameplay of Shadows and only this week an announcement of Veilguard. And we know both these games will release sometime this holiday. Nintendo started this trend and other publishers have been copying them more and more

Last edited:

SHA

Yes we do, anyway to show they care about what they're doing, it's not just about views, it's approximately 20x times if not more if you count the hearing and the ones who're aware of it but didn't choose to care.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
But when you're in the modern day where a 4 year gap between a game and it's sequel is considered "fast", and you've gotta find hordes of mid indies, AA soulslike clones, GaaS and advertisements for other industries to pad the time- what's the point? why have a summer season for all this stuff when we can just drop trailers on YT and forget about it entirely?

The logic here is truly suspect. AAA games don’t just come out at once. Releases are staggered. This theory that there’s some sort of AAA downtime doesn’t really hold water.

Top Bottom