• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 64 Devs Reveal the Port Will Include a Brand New Chapter

Fake

Doom 64 has been discussed a lot in the lead-up to Doom Eternal, especially by Eternal's co-director Hugo Martin. Can you talk about any connections Doom fans should keep an eye out for in either game?

James Haley, senior developer:
On our end, persistent players will have the opportunity to unlock a new chapter in the Doomguy's saga, taking place shortly after [Doom 64's] original campaign concludes. The Mother Demon you defeated in that outing had a sister, and since you've been messing up Hell non-stop, she tries to get rid of you by sending you away. If you can make your way back and take revenge, you’ll be rewarded with a bit of lore that fans of both series, new and classic, should enjoy.

Have any notable tweaks been made to the controls or gameplay, and if so, are any of them able to be toggled on or off?

Edward Richardson, multiplayer developer:
Some little things here and there, such as an Autorun toggle, and the automap can be navigated with the [Switch] touchscreen or [PS4] touchpad. Otherwise, the keyboard and mouse controls will feel very familiar to classic Doom players on PC, and also on Xbox if you hook up a keyboard and mouse.
The original game was quite dark, so while we haven't permanently changed the lighting⁠—that would be sacrilege⁠—there's a couple of new brightness settings that change the overall brightness and the environment brightness which will help make the game far easier to see on modern displays. There's also an option to change the blood color between red and the lesser-known green from the original Japanese release.

JH: Optional motion control support on the Switch and PlayStation 4 is my favorite addition. Using it to fine tune your aim gives a sense of really being there in the moment.

Last edited:

MrA

I can live with that, bethesda certainly fixed the mess with the doom ports then went above and beyond, now only if they would do that with 60 dollar games with mountains of microtransactions and not just 5 dollar dl games,

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
gyro controls are so not next gen imo
but i am ok with devs giving gamers the option.

i liked gyro in zelda botw tho felt natural since it's a bow

Birdo

Banned
That's cool that they added extra content.

I still wish that they added a few new (Optional) Colossi to the Shadow of The Colossus remake. But I guess it would have been a lot of work.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Is that free if you pre order digital only ?
Nah, it's for preordering period! Not quite sure how that's working, but they just mentioned preordering period whether it's physical or digital.

"The Mother Demon had a sister"

Come on, this is so fucking cheap!
I mean, considering where the lore was at that point it doesn't seem far-fetched at all. I appreciate the fact that they're even bothering TBH. Looking forward to the details though.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Nah, it's for preordering period! Not quite sure how that's working, but they just mentioned preordering period whether it's physical or digital.

I mean, considering where the lore was at that point it doesn't seem far-fetched at all. I appreciate the fact that they're even bothering TBH. Looking forward to the details though.
I assume it must be a code in the box, i'm going to order the basic Eternal game then.

Sybb

Banned

Yeah, but it reminds me of the Skedar Kings in Perfect Dark:

"Oh sorry, there's another one..."

MacReady13

I'm so excited for the new Doom, but is it weird that i'm more excited to replay Doom 64 again? possibly the most underrated/under appreciated game I've ever played, and a brilliant and worthy addition to the Doom franchise.

Loke

"The Mother Demon had a sister"

Come on, this is so fucking cheap!

Yeah, sounds like Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour where the final boss of that exclusive episode was just a reskinned Cycloid Emperor with some really shitty new abilities.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I seriously doubt you will keep your copy if you cancel the pre-order. Otherwise it's not free if you have to buy something else to get it.
Oh course!, You can't just preorder and cancel it, it requires owning the game. Could very well just be a printed sheet in a physical copy. 🤷‍♂️

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It sucks that those who pre-ordered it digitally can't play Doom 64 right now. It's sitting on my X1X SSD doing nothing but waiting to unlock.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
It sucks that those who pre-ordered it digitally can't play Doom 64 right now. It's sitting on my X1X SSD doing nothing but waiting to unlock.
That's what makes me think it directly connects to Doom Eternal in multiple ways. I mean, I always thought that since it was pinned on as a "preorder bonus", just felt like it was more than a coincidence. Especially since in the timeline they were generating DOOM 64 took place before 2016, then them adding a new chapter just makes me think it's gonna tie things even more so. Or at least attempt to.

Top Bottom