• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI has the biggest launch month in franchise history (based on NPD)

AlexxKidd

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a great game, and it's well deserved.

Slime_%28Dragon_Quest%29.jpg

NahaNago

I just need to do 5 more chapters to finish this game, 5 more chapters of digimon cybersleuth to finish that game, and 5 more chapters to finish final fantasy 15. So weird. I kinda want to start a new game.

Can't wait to finally play this game. I'm happy they kept turn-based combat.

Is it premature to say "Japanese gaming is back, baby"?

Monster Hunter World was CAPCOM's highest-selling game of all time, following the huge success of RE7.
Octopath Traveller surprised Squeenix with its sales.
And now Dragon Quest XI.
I'm sure there are others I've omitted.

TheDuskwalker

Gold Member
Nice! Was worried after it failed to chart in Europe, glad American's are picking it up. Given DQ9 sold 1.02 million in NA and Europe, hopefully this one hits 1.5 or even 2 million.

AlexxKidd

Monster Hunter World was CAPCOM's highest-selling game of all time, following the huge success of RE7.
And now Dragon Quest XI.

I'd say thanks to Capcom alone Japan is back (though they never went anywhere in my house) thanks to the games you mentioned and next year's one-two punch of RE2/DMC5.

sublimit

Banned
Even during last gen there were always great Japanese games to find it's just that their popularity had dropped in the West. But now people are finally rediscovering how great and unique a lot of Japanese games are which is great because it means that we'll keep getting more!

I hope VC4 will also perform great in terms of sales.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Glad to hear it. I've been slowly traipsing through the game at a leisurely pace because I haven't been wanting to rush through. I've played about 30 hours of it but I feel like I'm not even quite half way done. The game is amazing and definitely deserves the sales figures it's been getting.

AlexxKidd

Glad to hear it. I've been slowly traipsing through the game at a leisurely pace because I haven't been wanting to rush through. I've played about 30 hours of it but I feel like I'm not even quite half way done. The game is amazing and definitely deserves the sales figures it's been getting.

Lol, you're not. There's so much to this game and it gets so crazy later on I can't even begin to tell you. Take your time and enjoy the ride, you got a looong way to go.

I saw it on the NPD in the other thread and was so happy to see it there. Hopefully this bodes well for future titles being brought over.

But as for the dollar sales quote, that's to be expected because DQ9 was a DS title that was $30 and DQ11 is a Ps4 game for $60. Maybe that means they sold close to the same amount in software sales if someone wants to pull up the data from however long ago that game launched. Could give us a rough estimate for the numbers

I saw it on the NPD in the other thread and was so happy to see it there. Hopefully this bodes well for future titles being brought over.

But as for the dollar sales quote, that's to be expected because DQ9 was a DS title that was $30 and DQ11 is a Ps4 game for $60. Maybe that means they sold close to the same amount in software sales if someone wants to pull up the data from however long ago that game launched. Could give us a rough estimate for the numbers
Even if it kept pace with DQ9, that's a worthy achievement. When DQ9 launched the DS had already surpassed 100m if I'm not mistaken. It sold like crazy in Japan:

Within a two-day period, the title had sold 2,318,932 copies out of an estimated three million copies that had been shipped. Some analysts said that three million may be too conservative and expected five million copies sold in Japan alone with large overseas sales expectations that could break previous Dragon Quest sales records. [...] The game sold over 4.1 million copies in Japan by the end of 2009,[28] and the Ultimate Hits version sold a further 171,000 copies the following year.
[...]​
As of the ending of Nintendo's fiscal year 2010, Dragon Quest IX sold 1.02 million copies in the United States and Europe.
Also:

DonF

Gold Member
Single player games are dead, lol. Bad games are dead, costumers are more informed and not fall for a trailer or a cool looking art box.

GenericUser

wow, so fucking deserved. Currrently my game of the year, even better then God of War. I'm really glad this quality product sold (and hopefully sells) well. Great news, thanks OP for sharing.

Vawn

Banned
I loved it, yet I enjoyed Octopath Traveler even more. Great revival of JRPGs with these two games after last year's Nier Automata and Persona 5.

Hudo

Gold Member
We can thank ps4 success this gen for that.
It was certainly one contributing factor, yes. But I would probably put better development tools and pipelines and better availability of third-party engines (Unreal Engine 4, for example) as a bigger contributing factor. For example, before Unreal Engine 4, Atlus had to compile a new build for changes in level design/enemy placement etc. That adds up A LOT of development time. Square Enix had the same problem with Crystal Tools and earlier iterations of Luminous Studio. Interestingly enough, Capcom chose to build Monster Hunter World on top of their MT Framework instead of one of their newer engines.

I also wouldn't underestimate the influence of Steam and PC in general in the western hemisphere and also that Steam finally has been adjusted for the Japanese market. (For a long time, the store itself wasn't available in Japanese and prices weren't in Yen. Valve basically (as always) took an embarrassingly long time to correct those things).

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Happy to see Japanese games flourish once again. They always deliver the best games. Will jump in to DQ when it hits the Switchero.

manfestival

I am super happy with this game. 75 hours in and it still just keeps on giving. That is super impressive to me. I barely ever do side quests(this is not an exception) and I am still just getting new main line content.

Fbh

Man I still need to pick this up, money is a bit tight at the moment.

But is great news and just another example of fun and lengthy single player games still having an audience

We can thank ps4 success this gen for that.

Yeah Japan specifically and more in general AA sized gaming really seem to benefit from 1-2 dominant platforms during generation. They are doing great now and previous era of greatness was PS2, while they suffered during PS3/X360/Wii generation.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

And now Dragon Quest XI.

Dont Forget Gravity rush 2.

But Yes and Hell Yeah.

Japanese gaming is back baby!

Dont Forget Gravity rush 2.

But Yes and Hell Yeah.

Japanese gaming is back baby!
Well I didn't want to be exhaustive because I would've also celebrated the success of fighting games like Guilty Gear, Tekken 7, DBFZ, etc. as other examples but that's better for another thread. This one is about celebrating DQ finding some great success in the West (and worldwide). The series has fought this uphill battle for 30+ years in the West.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Well I didn't want to be exhaustive because I would've also celebrated the success of fighting games like Guilty Gear, Tekken 7, DBFZ, etc. as other examples but that's better for another thread. This one is about celebrating DQ finding some great success in the West (and worldwide). The series has fought this uphill battle for 30+ years in the West.

Yeah, you right Dun Dun =).

Man I wish get the game in this black Friday xD

Hudo

Gold Member
Yeah. And let us also not forget that just some years ago, it seemed like Square Enix were done with DQ in the West. They were so done in fact, that Nintendo had to pick up localisation and publishing duties for Dragon Quest on the 3DS.

So DQ11 being successful is actually a big deal. (Might possibly prompt other devs, who are still hesitant about localisation, to reconsider publishing their stuff in the West?)

Does this mean we can finally get DQX? That'd be great!

I want the MMO version too or at least multiplayer aspects like DQIX too not that offline version they talked about

DryvBy

I just started playing it and it's a fantastic game. I can't believe I have never tried on of these games before.

BenBuja

Neo Member
That's great! I've been hoping this would sell well. The game felt like a return to the golden JRPG days. Enyjoyed every second of it.

Pejo

This was my first DQ since the NES games, I was completely blown away. It's exactly the kind of game I've been wanting from Final Fantasy for years and years. Would have been my GOTY if there weren't so many damn good games released this year. The only thing I didn't really like was the aesthetic. I still can't get past the fact that it feels like an RPG in the DragonBall Z universe.

Fantastic news! This is my personal GOTY thus far, it's really a tremendous achievement and it's my JRPG of the generation at this point. I may even like it more than V and VIII.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And people say “turn based combat is dying”

This game and Octopath just proved how wrong they are. And hope make SE think about making next mainline Final Fantasy turn based as well.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Loved it. Still haven't beaten the post game for the true ending though. I hope it doesn't take years for XII. You already have the engine to use, that should shave a ton of time off.

Square2015

DQIX first month debut: 132,000
At ~$39 average = $5.15m x 2 ("dollar sales more than double") = $10.30m

At ~$59 average = minimum of
175,000 debut for DQXI

Edit: did DQIX sell for $40 or $35?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This was my first DQ since the NES games, I was completely blown away. It's exactly the kind of game I've been wanting from Final Fantasy for years and years. Would have been my GOTY if there weren't so many damn good games released this year. The only thing I didn't really like was the aesthetic. I still can't get past the fact that it feels like an RPG in the DragonBall Z universe.
Akira Toriyama's artstyle is big part what makes DQ series charming and alive, especially when it comes to monster design. That artstyle is part of DNA of what makes Dragon Quest, I cant really imagine without it.

Last edited:
And people say “turn based combat is dying”

This game and Octopath just proved how wrong they are. And hope make SE think about making next mainline Final Fantasy turn based as well.

Exactly. After Persona 5, Octopath and now this, hopefully turn based action will still have a secure place in the gaming industry in all regions.

Great news for Dragonquest. Hopefully, this opens the path to more mainline games outside of Japan.

Top Bottom