• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams that came true: Remember the timeline of the main rumors about the ''Dreamcast 2''

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Believe it or not, even today, in the second half of 2024, there are diehard Sega fans who dream of a new console from that amazing company. Wow, in a few months we will be in 2025, so it will be 24 years since Sega left the console market. Dreamcast had a short commercial cycle, at that time there were two releases, one Japanese and one Western a window of 11 months, the GCN was the first console to break this tradition and from the 7th gen onwards the launch of consoles became almost simultaneous in all markets, from a western perspective the Dreamcast only lasted 18 months, but we felt its presence for a while, but by early 2002 the Dreamcast had completely ceased.

The origin of the ''Dreamcast 2'' myth

The first rumor we can track was an invitation from Sega to the press for E3. That was the content.

"Learn about SEGA's 2004 line-up and hear BIG news you'd NEVER guess"
"explosive news--something even YOU won't be able to guess!"

Average Joe (me) didn't even know that the Dreamcast was a failure, but we knew that Shenmue lost money and that Sega was in a lot of debt, so they left the business.
diehard fans believed in 2004 that Sega would announce its re-entry into the market and that without debt, they would make a 'remodeled Dreamcast'.

that didn't happen, basically it was about the Lindbergh arcade board

Second wave of rumors

The 7th gen ran its course with Sega supporting all consoles, xbox 360, wii and PS3 but in 2008 the rumors appeared again

It is quite possible that someone has taken that press release and tweaked it for their own needs as the original article, an article back in 2004, which discusses Imagination Technologies, working with Sega on arcade hardware; From the Press Release that can be found (link no longer available). So yes at one point, Sega was working with IT, but for arcade systems only, not for a new console.

''Today we can exclusively reveal that SEGA has signed with Imagination Technologies of the United Kingdom to provide, to quote our source "a very high end next generation graphics chipset" for exclusive arcade and console use.
If we were to take an educated guess we would have to say that this emplies the in development PowerVR Series 6, the successor to the PowerVR SGX5XX Series.
Regarding other technicalities nothing is yet known. Thus information such as Ram Configuration, Ram type, CPU, CPU provider etc... currently remain a mystery.''

In 2008 Sega had its biggest loss since the 6th gen, this led them to change strategy so many patents were registered leaving room for speculation, the patents covered a wide range of devices including handhelds but In the end it was the RingEdge arcade board and not a console.
During this period (2010) many articles commented on the rumors, one of them was an interview with Yuji Naka saying that he wanted to work on Dreamcast 2.
Diehard fans said it was a more powerful console than Wii U but it was aborted by a behind-the-scenes deal with Nintendo. In this deal, Sega would make games for the Wii U (don't ask me where they got that from, these guys are very creative).

The third wave of rumors

It appeared before E3 2013 talking about an enigmatic Sega Spectrum ''a new world of entertainment'' again, nothing.
2014 Rumor that Sega in partnership with Valve would have a Steam Machine with its logo.
again, nothing.
2014 was a victory for the fans, Shenmue 3 announced, without a doubt the community contributed because Dreamcast 2 and Shenmue 3 were two mantras. But 2019's Shenmue 3 wasn't that good.
2016 Project Dream petition to make a Dreamcast 2 and give it to Sega
2018 Sega announced the Genesis Mini - diehard fans deduced that this was a strategy to approach retailers, in all markets.
2019 Rumor includes Sega in the project with Google - it was a lie Google did everything alone.
2020 was SEGA 60th anniversary where they showed off their new poster boy Sega Shiro and announced the enigmatic ''Super Game'' project.
2023 December, SEGA made an announcement at TGA for 5 games (there is no mention of the PS5, Xbox, Switch).

Conclusion

None of the rumors were confirmed, I think it was better this way, Sega would be massacred if it launched a console in 2006, at that time Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo injected millions of dollars into marketing, a Sega console would be out of place in price x performance, neither can we forget that Sonic 2006 and Golden Ax Beast Riders flops. The fanfic involving the Wii U is nonsense, even if Sega made a console in 2012, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were at their peak in games and the 8th gen would be released in 2013, it would be a flop cause Sega didn't have Atlus.

The truth is that in this business, there is only chance of sustaining a platform companies with killer apps in at least 4 franchises. Sega has only achieved good sales in the last 5 years in franchises such as Persona, Sonic and Like a Dragon, that is, the room to re-enter the market is in the next generation, Microsoft promises to bring forward the next gen to 2026, the window for Sega would be 2025 or never .

There won't be a 'Dreamcast 2' But I think Sega fans will be proud again, the Super Game initiative games are very interesting, and whatever that thing is they'll have to show it to us very soon. A physical product for example for a 2025 window needs to be shown this year, a digital product can be released later with less difficulty of course.

March Climber

Gold Member
I always saw the original Xbox as the Dreamcast 2. It felt like the perfect last second torch pass from Sega to Xbox, from controller shape to the online to the variety of exclusives.

If the rumors around mid to late 360 gen were anywhere close to true, it probably would have been a purchase of Sega and it’s I.P. by a console entity.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
idc laughing GIF

We had a Dreamcast 2 it was The N@AMI 2 and to me that is what SEGA would have based the follow-up to the DC on .Also, rumours are sometimes full of crap, like the Rumor that SEGA was using 360 tech for its new Arcade board Lindberg
I also very much doubt Shenmue lost SEGA 'That much money' Sure $70 million was a lot but the 1st game sold well and over a million copies, it was the dire sales of the sequel that put pay to the sequel more than money IMO.

Far too much is made of Shenmue costs IMO. FF 7 cost Sqaure over $44 million and that was one 32-bit game.

Rat Rage

Gold Member
To all of you strange Dreamcast fans who wish for and/or believe that a miraculous Dreamcast 2 console annoucement in this day and age would be an actual amazing thing, here is some food for thought that might shock you: A Dreamcast 2 console would absolutely suck in this day and age.

Why? Because, let's face it: Anyone who wishes for a Dreamcast 2 ACTUALLY wishes for a continuation of the Dreamcast, or better everything that made the Dreamcast great, in other word's the Dreamcast's games!

So, you actually wish for a return of all the games that made the Dreamcast great, not just the hardware, which is impossible these days, because of the process Dreamcast games were A) developed and B) green-lit by the publishers.

These old Dreamcast games, which only focused on being fun and being great Video Games cannot be made today anymore. AAA publishers work totally different now (in other words, they fucking suck!).

Sorry, but the dream is over!

Instead of fantasizing about a Dreamcast 2, you'd be much better off grabbing a real Dreamcast 1 and an old CRT television and re-enjoy all those games you love in the most authentic way possible.

Last edited:
The Dreamcast was a lightning in a bottle console, with a super fun library, that came out at the right time that it did.

Is fine to be Nostalgic towards it, or to appreciate it in 2024, but I don't understand why anyone would want a D2.

The Dreamcast was a very arcadey console. And the word "arcadey" doesn't apply to the vast majority of games made in the 2020s.

If we see a come back to a more arcadey and FUN game design, I can see it working.

Hi-Fi Rush, for example, PERFECT Dreamcast 2 game. But games like Hi-Fi Rush aren't being made.

D2 would flop completely, and only be carried by a cult following.

Kokoloko85

Sega fan since I can remember. Sonic 1 days. Was Sega over Nintendo and Playstation.

Never saw Xbox as Dreamcast 2 lol. Never thought Sega was coming back as soon as they released a game for another platform.

I dont want to see another Sega console.
I do want Sega to release all there previous games on a online store/sega store/ sega classic mini console.

Drew1440

I kind of wish Sega would release some sort of Android micro console, kind of like the AtariVCS from a few years ago but with a few MegaDrive, Satan and Dreamcast games preloaded with the option to buy more.

Also what happened to that Sega inspired Spartan console from a few years back?

Geometric-Crusher

At that time consoles had personality, I define the Dreamcast as a rebellious and creative console not just an arcade console. The games were not made to be serious, or try to dialogue with real-world problems, they were pure and simple entertainment that only existed because a company on the verge of collapse ostensibly sponsored every project that was presented to them.

Games like Sonic Adventure even the cover has psychedelic art, other games were an explosion of creativity like Jet Set Radio that was like Tony Hawk without being Tony Hawk. Others were bizarre like Seaman.

Skies of Arcadia is the most similar RPG to Final Fantasy not produced by Square Studios.

However, after the Dreamcast disappeared, the industry became what it is today with games wanting to convey messages or serving as a means of relieving stress by killing virtual enemies.

I remember none of it. And Xbox was never a Dreamcast 2 to me. Back then I just wanted games like Half Life and No Cliche's next game to actually be released on the hardware. They could have released Soul Calibur 2 on it too if EA (which was US company) actually didn't kill Dreamcast. Retrospectively I wonder if they (the big US companies) didn't kill the Dreamcast in favor of Xbox. I dunno.

Geometric-Crusher

people that think Xbox was the successor of the dreamcast must not have had a dreamcast...
for sure, most Sega fans migrated to PS2, PC and GC. Proof ? all Sega games on xbox except NFL 2k5 had poor sales.
When this type of talk was made, it was based on trivia like having 4 controller inputs, and a partnership with Sega to release exclusive games for the Xbox, the Xbox controller looked like the Dreamcast's because it was the only way to add peripherals , absolutely normal things.

GameCube also had Dreamcast games, one of them the praised Sonic Adventure 2, PSO, Skies of Arcadia. What about the PS2 with Virtua Fighter 4 and 50 other Dreamcast games ?

Another nonsense is to associate Dreamcast with Xbox because of WindowsCE (even Pocket PC-PDA had winCe) anyone who understands the history of Dreamcast knows that few games used WinCE because the performance was inferior to Sega's software in that console.

March Climber

Gold Member
people that think Xbox was the successor of the dreamcast must not have had a dreamcast...
One of my favorite things to do on this forum is to remind people (or show those who are unfamiliar) that the original Xbox not only had a quirky side to their library, but had an amazing selection of their own fun unique experiences and online experiences that made them worthy of being a successor.

v1zESs1_d.webp

2959850-ogxbox.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

sddefault.jpg

5gmwfjlzsrw91.png

VZvz-_DIUDp3vQ_lRz7iyGXb_1K3mj4fc8Nk_AayOgY.jpg

2696838-steelbattalion_xbpal.jpg

q6jqj032ijd81.jpg

BookReaderImages.php

As a rebuttal to your post, I'm convinced that the people who think that the Original Xbox was not a spiritual successor to Dreamcast, must either hold a lifelong grudge or simply don't want Xbox (or an American console) to be known that in that way.

Havoc2049

I was a Dreamcadt to Xbox gamer back then and the Xbox definitely felt like the continuation of what the Dreamcast had started. They were both online capable out of the box and I switched from Sega-Net to Xbox Live.

Direct Sequels of Dreamcast games:
Crazy Taxi 3
The House of the Dead 3
Phantasy Star Online EP. I&II
Sega GT 2002 & Sega GT Online
Shenmue II (Especially if you lived in North America)
Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive Ultimate
Project Gotham Racing and Project Gotham Racing 2
Headhunter Redemption
Jet Set Radio Future
Soul Calibur 2

Then there was new IP and continuation of old IPs:
Gunvalkyrie
Outrun 2
Outrun 2006
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Otogi and Otogi II

This is all off the top of my head, so I'm probably missing a few games.

EDIT: March Climber beat me to it. 🤣

Last edited:
id love sega to release another console, but i just dont see how it'd be competitive.

they dont have the capital or investor confidence to release a powerful console, and if they tried the more feasible switch-route, they'd be battling nintendo for market share... and that probably wont end well.

then again, you miss all the shots you dont take, so go for it sega.
*poke poke* do something

I want a Saturn 2.
That's the dreamcast.
for sure, most Sega fans migrated to PS2, PC and GC. Proof ? all Sega games on xbox except NFL 2k5 had poor sales.
When this type of talk was made, it was based on trivia like having 4 controller inputs, and a partnership with Sega to release exclusive games for the Xbox, the Xbox controller looked like the Dreamcast's because it was the only way to add peripherals , absolutely normal things.

GameCube also had Dreamcast games, one of them the praised Sonic Adventure 2, PSO, Skies of Arcadia. What about the PS2 with Virtua Fighter 4 and 50 other Dreamcast games ?

Another nonsense is to associate Dreamcast with Xbox because of WindowsCE (even Pocket PC-PDA had winCe) anyone who understands the history of Dreamcast knows that few games used WinCE because the performance was inferior to Sega's software in that console.
This. I was a fan of the gamecube indeed. Few of Xbox games shared the passion of both Dreamcast or Gamecube games which were games based on fun and/or gameplay, a japanese tradition. Xbox was the console to have to play Halo, Oblivion and a few others western games, later those Gears of War games. Those games were good stuff I agree. But they have mostly become worse now because of political (wokism) or/and corporate (make billions of dollars) agenda that killed both the artistic and creative vision. On the other hand many of the japanese companies are still doing the same fun games based on gameplay. The good western games still exist, they are mostly AA and indies stuff.

Modern SEGA (arguably past SEGA, as well) no longer has the infrastructure, expertise, nor the resources to produce console hardware on the scale of a device that would compete with Xbox, PS & Nintendo. Really their only truly successful hardware product was the Genesis, which had faded entirely by 1995. Dreamcast was a solid effort with some great software, but too little too late for them, and at that point they were already behind and basically just drowning. The disaster that was the Saturn basically ruined them, from the standpoint of being able to sustain themselves as a hardware/ software platform business, like Nintendo is.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

Waiting for that Megat0n announcement.

The DC for me was mainly a PSO machine. Though, I did try other games on it like Power Stone 2, Alien Front Online, Grandia 2 and Street Fighter 3.
Did you know that Sega is the only company that keeps releasing cryptic videos to say hey I'm alive?

2017 the mysterious trailer from Sega ''Amazing Sega''

2020 introducing new poster boy

2024 they literally made another one.

This company likes to promote itself :pie_thinking:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Dreamcast's name comes from Broadcast, so its headlining feature was online connectivity. Xbox definitely carried that torch, well into the 360 generation. It is the Dreamcast 2.

Geometric-Crusher

Can fans just make it and start porting indie stuff over?

A fan made Sonic Adventure 3? Dynamite Cop! 2? Sonic Shuffle... Eh, nevermind on that.
Indie games on the Dreamcast with the graphic look of Sonic 1998 will still take a while. Then imagine Sonic Adventure 3.

There is an easier way, we will continue playing our games normally until the Super Game reveal date is completed, I insist that Sega needs to show this to us, if it is a physical product the deadline should be something like September or October, If it's a digital product then we can forget Sega's console, maybe forever.

Geometric-Crusher

GREexH0a4AAsV6g

In recent days, a lot has been said about ''Sega Saturn'' and ''Virtua Fighter'' in common media, from magazines to TV shows.

It may not mean anything but the more Sega talks about Virtua Fighter, the more possibility there is of a Virtua Fighter return. Without a doubt, Sega has made many moves related to VF.

Top Bottom