• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors Origins coming 2025 for PS5, Xbox, PC | State of Play

Isa

Seriously! Its been so long since 9. And I really tried to like that one but dayyum they did anumber on it. Shame too since the ladies were so well done haha. If they bring back the sheer fun of well, every other DW title then I'm in.

Looks like ass. Thought Dynasty Warriors might finally evolve their gameplay to be more weighty, more visceral with all the new horsepower available in the new gen. Nope. Same old PS2 era floaty shit. Same old lack of physics. Everyone who gets hit has the same canned animation and flies away like pebbles. Weapons hitting your enemies have no impact or physical contact. Stagnant.

StereoVsn

Looks like ass. Thought Dynasty Warriors might finally evolve their gameplay to be more weighty, more visceral with all the new horsepower available in the new gen. Nope. Same old PS2 era floaty shit. Same old lack of physics. Everyone who gets hit has the same canned animation and flies away like pebbles. Weapons hitting your enemies have no impact or physical contact. Stagnant.
Yeah, it’s weird how they never bother to invest a bit more in the engine or the game itself.

I think the various spinoffs are usually better. I liked DQ ones, Fire Emblem, and a few others.

Edit: P5 Musou was surprisingly decent as well.

Last edited:

Hoppa

Fuck yes! Been waiting on a new Warriors game for so long! I’m very cautious of their focus on this non-descript main character though, I better be able to play as all my mains. They always fuck it up when they try to experiment with the formula

Yeah, it’s weird how they never bother to invest a bit more in the engine or the game itself.

I think the various spinoffs are usually better. I liked DQ ones, Fire Emblem, and a few others.

For sure, easier to suspend disbelief because of cartoony visuals.
I like Sengoku Basara myself, still jank but animation and weight is handled far better, plus different controls for each character. Too bad they didn't localize 4...

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This is what I've been waiting for. A true next gen DW game.

I'm there. Day one.

Just a shame we have to wait to 2025.

Very excite. The visuals and scale look fantastic for a DW game. I have recently been playing 8 a lot so I'm looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Metnut

This looked amazing. Have never heard of or played a game in this series before though and seems like the series isn’t exactly well thought of.

Matt_Fox

This looked amazing. Have never heard of or played a game in this series before though and seems like the series isn’t exactly well thought of.

The series has - justly - been criticised in the past for yearly releases which changed or improved very little. However it has been a few years now since the last Dynasty Warriors game so this new one will scratch an itch for a lot of us fans!

It's a pure, unapologetic arcade game - snazzy logos, silly button-mashing gameplay, over the top arcade style music, and characters making OTT declarations of how awesome they are or how they cant believe they've just been defeated.

Gaming's become rather serious in the last decade, and they dont make 'em like this anymore!

The series has - justly - been criticised in the past for yearly releases which changed or improved very little. However it has been a few years now since the last Dynasty Warriors game so this new one will scratch an itch for a lot of us fans!

It's a pure, unapologetic arcade game - snazzy logos, silly button-mashing gameplay, over the top arcade style music, and characters making OTT declarations of how awesome they are or how they cant believe they've just been defeated.

Gaming's become rather serious in the last decade, and they dont make 'em like this anymore!
I wonder, is this genre considered "niche" still after 23 years? I have loved this series since DW2 and it's just amazing how it's kept on going for decades.

I enjoyed both Gundam Musou games and also the Berserk one.Fist if the North star was also really nice featuring more "weight-y" gameplay compared to their main series.
Samurai warriors (4) was also pretty OK 😉

Their spin-offs/crossovers are - for some reason - more enjoyable to me compared to the main series (Dynasty/Samurai).

Last edited:
I wonder, is this genre considered "niche" still after 23 years? I have loved this series since DW2 and it's just amazing how it's kept on going for decades.

I'd say it probably is still niche, even with the positive Nintendo collaborations. I've been playing since the original on PS1, back when it was a fighting game instead, and the main series doesn't really seem to have grown in popularity much. The spin-offs and collaborations seem to to do much better and there such a huge variety of those these days. I still remember being hyped for Hyrule Warriors and grabbing a WiiU, so It's probably more about how they're marketed given the formula doesn't change outside of minor tweaks

Matt_Fox

I think it qualifies as niche, particularly in the West (the series tends to hit number 1 in the Japanese charts). Most DW titles average around one million copies, some sell a bit more some a bit less.

After quite a hiatus I'm really pleased to see this new entry, and it looks like next gen only so it can really impress with the number of combatants.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s a game where you run around a map hacking your way through thousands of defenseless enemies. It’s good for some mindless fun but I feel like the formula got stale 20 years ago.

I swear every time one of these games is announced the initial reaction is “oh shit this looks amazing, can’t wait for a next gen DW”, then it releases and everyone goes “oh…yeah it’s the same game I’ve played 1000 times before”

I guess someone must keep buying these because they keep on cranking them out. It’s worth playing if you’ve never played one before.

The_hunter

The Chinese setting and high fidelity graphics. Never played this style of game, it's different enough from other stuff on the market that it interests me.

What would you guys say is the main appeal of this combat style?

The Chinese setting and high fidelity graphics. Never played this style of game, it's different enough from other stuff on the market that it interests me.

It can be a simple button masher up to medium difficulty, or you can up the difficulty further so you need to make use of combos, blocks & abilities. Either way its pretty easy to pick up & play.

It's a very simple combat style but what makes up for it is how over the top it is. The sheer number of enemies you KO all at once never seems to get old for me.

cireza

Never understood the obsession with this series.
That's too bad. You might think that this is endless, brainless farming, but actually Musou games are management games. Stages are usually superbly balanced in higher difficulties, and the challenge is being able to do everything you have to do in the time you have at your disposal. These are purely optimization games, with stages that can last a bit so you have to plan maybe 15 minutes or more, and this can be very engaging. The first Hyrule Warriors is still my favorite (20ish FPS on Wii U, my eyes still hurt). Some stages to obtain Level 3 weapons are incredibly tight and challenging in this game (in the Quest mode).

I also spent quite some time on other titles that were released on Xbox in the past, including Arslan (which was quite fun) and Warriors Orochi 4 (good fun). Attack on Titan should also be noted because it has awesome gameplay mechanics. Omega Force are REALLY good at making these games.

Last edited:
Really? I like moba.

Always seemed like mindless button-mashing when I played it back in the days (the original I think).
It is depending on which difficult you play on, and also if you focus too much on the mobs. The hardcore loop of the game (at least in the PS3/PS4 generation of games and spinoffs that I've played) was about fighting the other commanders(with their own special abilities), while also defending certain designated zones so that your army doesn't lose too much ground. It was a delicate balancing act that can be challenging on harder difficulties.

My only gripe with some of the older DW games was the fact that the action itself(and combos) was limited. They improved this with some of their 'Warrior' spin-offs of other I.P., so I'm hoping that they take what they've learned from those spin-offs and incorporate it into this new DW.

This is essentially a fresh start after the last mainline DW game came out in...

giphy.gif

It seems the failure of the last DW game really caused them to rethink stuff and take their time for this one.
For me personally I thought it was a no brainer, having it open world only seemed natural considering DW maps in general were very open. Not open world mind you but more sandbox or mini sandbox. I think it could have worked for DW 9 it just wasn't executed well.

Remember playing this back in the PS2 days, haven't touched this franchise since then as I felt it was just way too easy & repetitive.

Has anything changed since then? Besides the enemies on screen, the graphics don't seem all that tbh.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Remember playing this back in the PS2 days, haven't touched this franchise since then as I felt it was just way too easy & repetitive.

Has anything changed since then? Besides the enemies on screen, the graphics don't seem all that tbh.

Theres pretty substantial differences even between Dynasty Warriors 2 and 4 and in turn between 4 and 6 we dont talk about 7 and 8 was great.
That was the last Dynasty Warriors before this one.....Dynasty Warriors 8 was the last one.

We dont know what returning and/or new mechanics are in this one, but it looks like a warriors game thats a start, we just need more information.

Music better be popping. 9 had so many duds that what little did in the soundtrack couldn't even save it.

I would love for Sega to somehow get their composers to collaborate with Omega Force. For some reason I always felt like Sega’s arcade-style of music would fit rather well with DW games. It’s a mixture of that rock that DW is known for, but with a bit of that jazzy melodic flair added in that Sega is known for.

Top Bottom