• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax may have been hacked again.

KSweeley

There's reports that Equifax may have been hacked again:

Mashable: http://mashable.com/2017/10/12/equi...utm_sid=5356feeef9c510f432deea19#sE_6YWNBHqq5

Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/information...n-this-time-to-redirect-to-fake-flash-update/

Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...b-page-after-report-of-new-hack-idUSKBN1CH2F3

Reuters report:

October 12, 2017

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Equifax Inc said on Thursday it has taken one of its customer help website pages offline as its security team looks into reports of another potential cyber breach at the credit reporting company, which recently disclosed a hack that compromised the sensitive information of more than 145 million people.

The move came after an independent security analyst on Wednesday found part of Equifax’s website was under the control of attackers trying to trick visitors into installing fraudulent Adobe Flash updates that could infect computers with malware, the technology news website Ars Technica reported.

“We are aware of the situation identified on the equifax.com website in the credit report assistance link,” Equifax spokesman Wyatt Jefferies said in an email. “Our IT and security teams are looking into this matter, and out of an abundance of caution have temporarily taken this page offline.”

The Atlanta-based company, which has faced seething criticism from consumers, regulators and lawmakers over its handling of the earlier breach, said it would provide more information as it becomes available.

As of 1:15 p.m. (1715 GMT), the web page in question said: “We’re sorry... The website is currently down for maintenance. We are working diligently to better serve you, and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We appreciate your patience during this time and ask that you check back with us soon.”

Equifax shares were down 1.2 percent
at $109.18 in early afternoon trading.

Randy Abrams, the independent analyst who noticed the possible hack, said he was attempting to check some information in his credit report late on Wednesday when one of the bogus pop-up ads appeared on Equifax’s website.

His first reaction was disbelief, he said in an interview with Reuters on Thursday. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” he recalled thinking. Then he successfully replicated the problem at least five times, making a video that he posted to YouTube.

This was pretty much confirmed this morning.
But, while Equifax can get fucked, it's just the Equifax webpage... so... likely no user stuff there.

Of course, just typical for a company that seems to take security so seriously.

True Fire

Our society is so fucked. This is going to become more and more common, and we depend so much on agencies like Equifax that people will be screwed without even knowing.

hobozero

I guess the silver lining is I no longer get complaints when my department enables new security requirements for our users.

Well, less complaints...

Oh who am I kidding, users suck. They wouldn't be satisfied if we set everyone's password to "password" - they'd complain it was too long...

JoeBoy101

I guess the silver lining is I no longer get complaints when my department enables new security requirements for our users.

Well, less complaints...

Oh who am I kidding, users suck. They wouldn't be satisfied if we set everyone's password to "password" - they'd complain it was too long...

That's funny as I've started forgoing numbers and symbols for longer passwords.

GodofWine

Well, eventually, if EVERYONE's data is leaked, the odds of anything happening to you drops pretty low. How's that for a GOP style Global Warming Keeps Cold People War Spin.

3AOcm20.gif

RevoDS

Guys. They weren't hacked, one of their ad providers was or let a bad ad slip through the cracks. It's a rather important distinction.

GAF has had similar issues in the past, was it hacked? No.

Lay off the clickbait/sensationalism

Daedardus

Guys. They weren't hacked, one of their ad providers was or let a bad ad slip through the cracks. It's a rather important distinction.

Lay off the clickbait/sensationalism

Since when do company websites serve ads to earn some extra money? Seems like they were hacked to introduce serving malware through added advertising, which still counts as a security breach. It's not the same as identity theft, that I can agree with you on.

liquidtmd

Banned
Was the original hack definitely due to the Apache Struts exploit?

I work in a major banks I.T team. They should have taken that shit unbelievably seriously. We did.

Since when do company websites serve ads to earn some extra money? Seems like they were hacked to introduce serving malware through added advertising, which still counts as a security breach. It's not the same as identity theft, that I can agree with you on.

It wasn’t ad, it was a third party web analytics library called Fireclick. It’s common for websites to use these libraries to help measure traffic and do analytics. When the browser loads up the page and the fireclick JavaScript is loaded, it was redirecting the users to -> ostats.net -> webhostingshub.com -> USA.quebec-lea.com -> USA.zeroredirect6.com -> cdn.centerbluray.info

TransUnion had the same issue

Top Bottom