• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex NFL Pro Explains What Happens in Locker Rooms. Though Some Rooms Really Differ

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
http://www.vox.com/first-person/2016/10/10/13230346/donald-trump-locker-room-talk-chris-kluwe

Dear Donald Trump,

Last Friday, audio leaked of you making incredibly demeaning comments about women and bragging about sexual assault. When asked to justify your statements, you claimed that this was "locker room talk," and it's just how guys speak about women.

You're wrong, and only the type of wrong an over-tanned ham hock like yourself can accomplish, plummeting past the morass of gross incivility into the abyss of depraved sociopathy.

How do I know this? Simple. I was in an NFL locker room for eight years, the very definition of the macho, alpha male environment you're so feebly trying to evoke to protect yourself, and not once did anyone approach your breathtaking depths of arrogant imbecility. Oh, sure, we had some dumb guys, and some guys I wouldn't want to hang out with on any sort of regular basis, but we never had anyone say anything as foul and demeaning as you did on that tape, and, hell, I played a couple years with a guy who later turned out to be a serial rapist. Even he never talked like that.

Read on for more but I also want to bring up another article that brings up the changing atmosphere for current pros even if they are misrepresenting a stat to almost Polygon levels.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/donald-trump-is-tearing-the-nfl-apart/

Fights. Friendships ended. Racial divides. Requirements not to talk about a combustible candidate on team property. B/R Mag’s examination of the football locker room electorate reveals that America’s most popular sport is just as politically divided as the nation itself

Interviews by B/R Mag with dozens of NFL players about Trump over the past four months reveal that scenes of a divided America sparked by the candidate have been replicated inside at least a half-dozen locker rooms of its most popular sport. Some players cite low-level confrontations. Others say friendships have ended. Many see a toughness that could cross political boundaries and a business acumen that’s attractive to the likes of Tom Brady, only for the candidate’s racial bluster to spark more outrage. At least one coach has insisted there be no more player discussions of Trump—not a ban on politics in general, just Trump—while on team property.

Four weeks into the NFL season and four weeks from Election Day, amid an increasingly politicized league confronting on-field protests every Sunday, a straw poll of 43 players by B/R Mag shows:

20 of 22 black NFL players plan to vote for Hillary Clinton.
2 of 22 black NFL players plan to vote for Donald J. Trump.
21 of 21 white NFL players plan to vote for Trump.

The informal survey is in no way scientific—there are some 1,600 players in the NFL—but compare those numbers to recent national polling, and the NFL locker room electorate starts to look at lot like America:

“The locker room normally isn’t politically correct,” Woody said. “I know from talking to players things are different when it comes to Trump.”

TheRed

Holy crap of 21 of 21 white players voting for Trump.
I guess 21 isn't a big number compared to all of them in the league, I just expected at least one to not be apart of that. I mean there's even 2 black people voting for Trump in that sample.

Mesoian

I guess 21 isn't a big number compared to all of them in the league, I just expected at least one to not be apart of that. I mean there's even 2 black people voting for Trump in that sample.

Because Money. Trump's mandate is "make the rich richer." Most NFL players are rich.

Briarios

I have a very hard time believing a monolithic Trump voting white block like that. Seriously ... anytime you get results for a political survey at 100% you should question it.

Futureman

this article is by a white guy though. Also that 21 of 21 was before the "I sexually assault women because I'm rich and powerful" tape.

You're wrong, and only the type of wrong an over-tanned ham hock like yourself can accomplish, plummeting past the morass of gross incivility into the abyss of depraved sociopathy.

I'm so shook I'll need to take some Daaaaaambien to get sleep tonight

wildfire

Banned
I have a very hard time believing a monolithic Trump voting white block like that. Seriously ... anytime you get results for a political survey at 100% you should question it.

It definitely won't be monolithic number of NFL white players. There's over 1500 players. That's not small at all so BR should've tried sampling triple that amount. Though it's concerning that Trump has exposed and endangered a lot of friendships.

That said both pieces are a good look into the past and present situation in how the NFL playerbase interact with each other socially.

I do enjoy Chris Kluwe's writing. He sometimes goes a bit over-the-top, but it's honestly hard not to when discussing someone as extreme as Donald Trump.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Didn't Kluwe used to post here?

I think it was him. I know at one point we had an NFL kicker posting here.

Bleepey

I am not sure which I find myore surprising 2 black people who'd vote for Trump or every white person votes for Trump. Long story short:
I-dont-believe-you.gif

Draxal

I am not sure which I find myore surprising 2 black people who'd vote for Trump or every white person votes for Trump. Long story short:
I-dont-believe-you.gif

Trump used to own the USFL New Jersey generals so he does have experience as an owner, he's friendly with Herschel Walker as a result.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Really? You're surprised that rich, white guys who have spent their entire lives in their own little bubble would vote for Trump?

Tall4Life

That sample size is so pitiful that that statistic is meaningless.

Those white players could all be from the same Southern team that would already be predisposed to loving Trump.

Dai101

Banned
21 of 21 white players voting for Trump

im_shocked.gif

Then you read 2 black players and ask your self "why?" and "how?" and then remember the likes of charles barkley, stacy dash, moneyweather ....

I've heard substantially worse, but not since college/HS. I would assume a professional locker room teeming with press/tape recorders would have a decent level of decorum

I am surprised that any black person in an NFL would vote for Trump and every white guy in an NFL team are voting for Trump.

They're rich. There's always going to be some minorities willing to overlook racism if it lines their own pockets.

what bubble are you referring to? They didn't grow up rich, and I'd argue they have spent more time around more minorities than you have.

A) From a young age their athletic ability has led to them being told how exceptional they are, they've been coddled and treated differently throughout school, college and then become millionaires. It doesn't matter if they grew up poor or not, of course the Republican bootstraps, American Dream bullshit resonates with them.

B) Go on then. I'd love to hear that argument.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've heard substantially worse, but not since college/HS. I would assume a professional locker room teeming with press/tape recorders would have a decent level of decorum

I never heard anything like this in high-school, mostly because even the most sexually active of us still didn't fully have the vocabulary for this kind of crudeness. I don't mean we didn't know the words obviously, I mean we didn't really know how to express this level of grossness

rjinaz

Sigh. Round and round we go.

Sexual assault talk is not locker room talk. Nasty sex talk, sure. High school teens? Ok I can see that, horrible ones that get expelled regularly. If you are in college and hear that you should have reported it.

Are white americans fucking insane?

As a white american who is voting for Hilary, this isn't representative of whites as a whole (Though Whites, and especially White men, are the reason Trump is in the race at all). Remember, pro football players are also incredibly rich and also more likely to see themselves as special individuals due to being told that they are and treated as such their whole lives

Nairume

Banned
Trump used to own the USFL New Jersey generals so he does have experience as an owner, he's friendly with Herschel Walker as a result.
He's also partially the reason the USFL is gone.

His history of destroying jobs even impacts football.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
21 of 21 voting for Trump.

Something is wrong (I HOPE) with that sample.

Either way - that's pretty shameful. Embarrassing.

White men without a college degree are Trump's key demographic, especially if they're in a higher income bracket. NFL players mostly don't have degrees (getting drafted before completion) and they're in the highest income tax bracket. So, yeah, this is Trump's core group of supporters. But, yeah, white guys ruin everything.

A lot of the NFL's white players come from backgrounds where people like Trump are all over the place. People from the deep South, people from Evangelical backgrounds. Trump polls very well among poor whites because they feel he speaks on behalf of them and that's the background a lot of the NFLs white players come from.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention, is that white people can have all the black friends and date all the Asian women they want. Unless, they actually make a concious effort to try and understand why minorities don't vote Republican, even if they are Democrats themselves, they'll never understand. That's the problem with race relations.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Trump was probably referring to Golf locker rooms, where most of the well off sociopath deviants congregate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom