• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

https://www.t3.com/news/fallout-65-million-viewers-in-2-weeks

To say this is a massive success is an understatement.
the 65mil number is bullshit. All streaming and media sites inflate them. People watch the show for 1 minute or hover over the title, and it starts playing incidentally, count too. Not saying it is not extremely popular, just that the number is BS.

Twitter is the biggest culprit. Videos with 300mil views, when 99% of the views are because they just show up in peoples feeds as they scroll down

Last edited:

taizuke

It was a trans man

According to Amazon Dane is supposed to be none-binary in the show, which is weird cause i thought the show wanted us to see him as a man even though anyone can tell he's actually a woman. Making him none-binary makes no sense when 1) is never addressed and 2) treating him as a man fits more with the BoS being mostly male dominated in the show. I say mostly male dominated cause i saw a couple of other woman (none-binary or trans probably) celebrating Dane getting the title of squire.

Btw, can woman be part of the BoS in the games or is this something they changed for the show?

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gdamn , Bethesda I tried to play Fallout 3 NV crash on startup , tried Fallout 3 GOTY same crash......guess Bethesda never changes .
The GoG version of New Vegas works great, hasn't even been six months since I tested it extensively. Were you on console or PC? If on Steam there's a patch you can download from Nexus Mods that essentially makes it the GoG version, which is annoying to have to do but it fixes most issues and mod compatibilities with the game.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
the 65mil number is bullshit. All streaming and media sites inflate them. People watch the show for 1 minute or hover over the title, and it starts playing incidentally, count too. Not saying it is not extremely popular, just that the number is BS.

Twitter is the biggest culprit. Videos with 300mil views, when 99% of the views are because they just show up in peoples feeds as they scroll down
Also the number doesn't include people watching/watched it unofficially.

Soodanim

Just finished the series. I really enjoyed it, can't wait for more. I'll definitely be jumping back into that world after this. I've always loved it since the moment I took a chance on 3 but it's been a while.

I have one question though: why were little pissant crybabies moaning about New Vegas being shat on by Bethesda given the ending? I'm guessing it's entirely the whines of people who didn't finish the show, am I close?

Sophist

so the megacorporations prefer to fuck up the world and reign on a fucking wasteland where they can't even enjoy the rich life because...it's a fucking wasteland?! Such a great fuckin plan

It's a competition to who will rebuild and dominate the world "Everyone will implement his own idea of what is the best future for humanity and may the best idea win".
Bud's idea is a breeding selection:
The good "managers" that are positive, motivated, willing stays in Vault 33.
The bad ones that are pessimists, unmotivated or negative goes to Vault 32.
It's eugenics that has been done for ~200 years when the tv shows begin.
This is why Vault 32 failed since only bad "managers" are there together, resulting in famine and civil war.
This is why Lucy is very positive and optimist about everything.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

It's a competition to who will rebuild and dominate the world "Everyone will implement his own idea of what is the best future for humanity and may the best idea win".
Bud's idea is a breeding selection:
The good "managers" that are positive, motivated, willing stays in Vault 33.
The bad ones that are pessimists, unmotivated or negative goes to Vault 32.
It's eugenics that has been done for ~200 years when the tv shows begin.
This is why Vault 32 failed since only bad "managers" are there together, resulting in famine and civil war.
This is why Lucy is very positive and optimist about everything.
Doesn't change that a Mega Corp planning to wipe out 99.9% of its customers and destroying the economic ecosystem that gave them their wealth/power is dumb writing.

Last edited:

Sophist

Doesn't change that a Mega Corp planning to wipe out 99.9% of its customers and destroying the economic ecosystem that gave them their wealth/power is dumb writing.

I would say that the series gave enough reasons. Vault Tec has three kinds of customers:
- Rich peoples that pay for a spot in the vaults.
- Big corps that buy/invest in the vaults (including the residents!) to implement their ideas/projects.
- The USA government.

The USA government is broke and a bother (regulations). The war is on its end meaning people will no more pay for a spot. The big corps need guaranties that investing in the vaults will worth it and by that they mean that the Vaults will be filled with people. By dropping the nuclear bombs, you get rid of the government (and the law) and you fill the vault with peoples who are no more customers but now products. It's cold war capitalism exaggerated into a dystopi.

Wildebeest

If people love it, then the writers just know the audience, and you can't call it dumb on the part of the writers. Bethesda Fallout is chock-full of totally braindead "cool" story lines, played totally straight, which people seem to love.

Audiophile

Bit of a sidenote on the aesthetic side, but it's nice to see a show produced by a streaming platform shot on 35mm film. Digital can look great but I'd argue it very rarely does unless its used by real masters. All too often it looks either flat and completely lacking in delineation or goes all the way in the other direction with a tac-sharp, high contrast, high frequency look that just overwhelms the senses. Film provides a wonderful, coherent baseline from the get go and aside from a touch too much vignette blur here and there (likely the lenses), they've built on it really nicely. There's even a little instability in the frame that makes it more organic.

Even though it's done with a DI direct from the Kodak Vision OCN, there are some shots that looked photochemically processed (like a timed Interpositive), some immediately reminded me of circa-2000 big budget movies. Even if it can't capture the same low light detail as digital, the actual aesthetic and fall off of darker scenes is so much easier on the eye rather than the slurry I see in most digitally shot shows.

Also, just in terms of the grade in general, it's nice to see a balance of warmer and neutral scenes that within themselves have distinctly coloured elements. Far too many shows now just throw on the cold blue/grey-filter or the piss-filter blanket tints and call it a day.

Further sidenote, if watching on Amazon Prime, the full rate 4K Dolby Vision stream is much better than HDR10 or SDR stream; not for the HDR but the chroma and encode is stronger. The film grain is really nicely done here but it clumps up on the encoder in the latter two.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished. Thought last couple episodes ranged from poor to mediocre. Overall tho a good show and a truly excellent adaptation of the source material. Very excited for season 2!

TVexperto

just finished it! never played new vegas but is this canon with the game? will there be overlaps with the game? if yes ill play it before season 2

Ulysses 31

If people love it, then the writers just know the audience, and you can't call it dumb on the part of the writers. Bethesda Fallout is chock-full of totally braindead "cool" story lines, played totally straight, which people seem to love.
Saying the writing can't be dumb at certain points because many people liked the show looks like an appeal to popularity to me.

If we look at the before and after of what characters want, need and where they're going, the writing doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all (IMO) and I'd call it dumb/bad at several points(The ghoul wasting so much ammo on the power armor in ep 2 when he knows its weakness, Maximus keeps failing upwards making BoS look like idiots just to name a few).
I would say that the series gave enough reasons. Vault Tec has three kinds of customers:
- Rich peoples that pay for a spot in the vaults.
- Big corps that buy/invest in the vaults (including the residents!) to implement their ideas/projects.
- The USA government.

The USA government is broke and a bother (regulations). The war is on its end meaning people will no more pay for a spot. The big corps need guaranties that investing in the vaults will worth it and by that they mean that the Vaults will be filled with people. By dropping the nuclear bombs, you get rid of the government (and the law) and you fill the vault with peoples who are no more customers but now products. It's cold war capitalism exaggerated into a dystopi.
What the show fails to do(IMO) is show/tell what preparations Vault Tec made to survive in the post apocalyptic irradiated wasteland where they can't rely on modern currency anymore and 99.9% of goods and services are gone. They're taking a huge pay cut only to compete again in a wasteland with way less resources.
just finished it! never played new vegas but is this canon with the game? will there be overlaps with the game? if yes ill play it before season 2
It's canon and a continuation of the games, 9 years after Fallout 4 and NV is 6 years before FO4, which might be a bit disappointing seeing how certain factions and shady sands are just nuked off screen and lore changed if you're familiar with the FO 1&2 and the asspullery with the ghoul serum that never was brought up ever before(who's even making and distributing these?).

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's not even just that.

They are destroying everything that is worth living.

No sports or sports teams, no fancy restaurants, no luxury cars, no luxury of any kind, no movies or serial tv or videogames or any form of media, the earth is a fucking scorched wasteland that is gonna need centuries to recover but hey, now they can reign on this shitshow without anyone going against them, i call that a victory :lollipop_squinting:

This stuff make the thanos plan sound like the smartest shit in the universe.

Last edited:

FireFly

What the show fails to do(IMO) is show/tell what preparations Vault Tec made to survive in the post apocalyptic irradiated wasteland where they can't rely on modern currency anymore and 99.9% of goods and services are gone. They're taking a huge pay cut only to compete again in a wasteland with way less resources.
Well the show indicates that they expected the surface not to be liveable, so that Vault dwellers would essentially inherit the Earth. Then Vault-Tec basically would be the government and would have absolute power and the ability to guide the next several hundred years of human development.

Last edited:
Bit of a sidenote on the aesthetic side, but it's nice to see a show produced by a streaming platform shot on 35mm film. Digital can look great but I'd argue it very rarely does unless its used by real masters.

The rest of your commentary is interesting, but it's extremely unlikely this was shot on 35mm analog. Do you have a source? (Edit, yes it's 35mm, nice.)

I don't want to comment on the show which would be a too hot a take for this thread, and I had to shut it off after 20 mins. Let's just say, not for me.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Ahh, you mean like a transvestite. Makes it even more confusing and out of place as that is almost always done for comedic effect and there was nothing funny about it in this case.
It was very out of place and just distracting. But like I said it's 2024 so you gota get them brownie points!

GymWolf

It was very out of place and just distracting. But like I said it's 2024 so you gota get them brownie points!
Choosing his scrawny 45 kg of no muscle ass to be a squire that has to bring around a gigantic heavy bag was even funnier.

They weren't even trying to be subtle with the agenda.

Last edited:
Top Bottom