• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 7 will allow you to play in 3rd person, suggests job offer

March Climber

Gold Member
Do people really hate first person perspective or something? Far Cry is one of the few remaining FPP series. Most big IP's switched to TPP.
I think part of the problem is that we spent the last few generations having FPS games on console with an FOV of 60 or below. It still kind of happens today (Immortals of Aveum for example).

People simply want to see more around them, and some console owners are probably tired of devs cutting corners in that specific area to improve performance.

Also, third person simply presents an opportunity to sell more cosmetics than just gun and knife skins.

IAmRei

Also, third person simply presents an opportunity to sell more cosmetics than just gun and knife skins.
make a sense, to sell more is very make a sense, considering it's also UBI.
in Xenoblade 1-3, i can change my camera, be it further, shorter, top down, over shoulder, or even first person. i'm glad if other games started to think the possibilities of this.

March Climber

Gold Member
in Xenoblade 1-3, i can change my camera, be it further, shorter, top down, over shoulder, or even first person. i'm glad if other games started to think the possibilities of this.
To be fair as someone who has been checking out more shooters lately, there is a distinct difference in how gameplay and game design is treated in first person compared to third person or TPS/FPS Hybrid.

It’s hard for me to explain, but a first person-only game has a different philosophy to level design, sight lines, corridors, how distance comes across, interactions, etc. Far Cry is like this, so changing it to a hybrid means it will have to change in other facets of it’s design to accommodate for those players who only use third person. Thus, it’s going to make FC feel more like something similar to Ghost Recon Wildlands instead.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Do people really hate first person perspective or something? Far Cry is one of the few remaining FPP series. Most big IP's switched to TPP.

Yes. I'll put up with it for some of my favorite series like the Resident Evil games, but I'll actively avoid them if they only interest me a little. Great news for me!

Last edited:

winjer

I don't even care about playing it in first person.
FC6 was absolutely mediocre. So I have little hope for any game moving forward.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is the actual job description ad:

72e2a758-f6c2-4bfe-a24b-a416a7565da0.png

HL3.exe

Same, I enjoy First person more. I'm more a part of the world that way, instead of puppeteering a character on screen.

I kinda get why TPP is more popular, because it feels better on controllers, while FPP feels more natural and direct with m&kb.

IAmRei

To be fair as someone who has been checking out more shooters lately, there is a distinct difference in how gameplay and game design is treated in first person compared to third person or TPS/FPS Hybrid.

It’s hard for me to explain, but a first person-only game has a different philosophy to level design, sight lines, corridors, how distance comes across, interactions, etc. Far Cry is like this, so changing it to a hybrid means it will have to change in other facets of it’s design to accommodate for those players who only use third person. Thus, it’s going to make FC feel more like something similar to Ghost Recon Wildlands instead.
ah yes, that's could be another factor they should think of

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm a lot more comfortable with 1st person these days than I used to be, but adding in 3rd as an option with a toggle is still vastly superior. Any kind of open world traversal, platforming, I prefer 3rd. Then switch to 1st when you get close to enemies.

I don't particularly want a third-person view in Far Cry 7 personally as it would tarnish the sense of immersion.

What I would like to see is a first-person view where my avatar has a sense of physicality in the world, i.e. having a visible body and feet, as well as casting shadows and so that makes me feel grounded in the world. There is nothing more immersion breaking than looking down in a first-person game and seeing that you are just a floating camera, something I actually thought spoilt the recent, otherwise superb, Robocop: Rogue City game.

Last edited:

People just love third person open world games. Still. Somehow. I was bored of them 8 years ago but it's still all we fucking see come to market.

I bet it also has something to do with selling cosmetics for your character too.

DAHGAMING

I wonder if we will have this option in tje new Ghost Recon aswell, that series has jumpped from FPS to TPS , Rainbow Six Vegas was FPS but jumpped to TPS in certain moments eg when in cover.

I read a rumour a few months back that the next Ghost Recon is going back to its FPS routes, now with this Far Cry TPS rumour im thinking maybe we will see the option to use either in there future FC, GR, R6 games.

As long as its an option im ok with it aslong as the gameplay is balanced in both modes and 1 mode dosnt feel tacked on and clunky.

Shut0wen

They need to seriously go back to the far cry 3 formula, series is incredibly grindy now and side missions are by far worst is any free roam game

Top Bottom