• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI releases 475 page previously classified file on O.J. Simpson

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has released 475 pages of documents relating to O.J. Simpson, the NFL Hall of Fame running back who was acquitted of charges he killed his former wife and her friend.

The documents largely focus on the murder investigation into the 1994 stabbing deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman. Simpson was a person of interest and ultimately charged, and his 1995 trial, often called one of the most famous trials of the past century, drew worldwide attention and spectacle.

Simpson was acquitted of all charges on Oct. 3, 1995. He was found liable for wrongful death in a civil court case two years later and told to pay $33.5 million in damages to the Brown and Goldman families. Simpson maintained his innocence throughout the rest of his life. He died in April.

The FBI publicly releases records it maintains on individuals after they die. Some names in the Simpson documents have been redacted. While the FBI labeled this release of documents "Part 01," it's not clear when or if more documents will be released. In previous such cases, the bureau has released documents in batches as agents review them.

The vast majority of files released by the FBI center on evidence collection and testing, including testing of fibers found at the crime scene and blood testing. The FBI also went to Italy to study Bruno Magli shoes, a rare shoe determined at the time to be worn by the murderer. The documents show the detail that went into tracking the sales and understanding the soles of two models of the shoes sold in the U.S. at the time.

The FBI also sent out a memo to its investigators, explaining the attention the case was receiving.

"Due to the intense media interest in captioned matter, and the potential prejudicial impact that public dissemination could have on pending criminal proceedings," the memo states about the investigation, "the following information should be handled on a strict need to know basis, and should not be disseminated outside the FBI."
"

Link to file

zW5kq8d.png

Toons

I mean, everyone knows he actually did it, right? Is there anyone who actually thinks he was innocent?

He did it.

But the courts job is to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did... with evidence. The case against him was not great in any case. The evidence had been tampered with, the plantiffs resources and witnesses were unreliable at best and corrup at worst, and the media sensationalized the whole thing to where it ecame less and less about the actual crime and more about race relations in America.

Should've never even played out the way it did.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It really just shows that if you wanna kill someone then just do it fast, don't involve anyone that might squeal on you, and then clam up no matter what.

Not that I've thought about it or anything, just a random post :p

calistan

Gold Member
Or ya know. Don’t murder people. If you want to kill someone Don’t do it.
I have a recurring dream about killing somebody - just a random douchebag who breaks into my house or otherwise pisses me off - and then realising that I need to get rid of the body before my wife gets home.

That’s the part that always wakes me up. There’s no easy way to dispose of a corpse in an urban environment.

nush

It really just shows that if you wanna kill someone then just do it fast, don't involve anyone that might squeal on you, and then clam up no matter what.

Not that I've thought about it or anything, just a random post :p

I met a man that killed two people, he got away with it as well. Not arrested or anything. He was such a nice old man, but from that day forward he earned the nickname killer lam.

Winter John

I find it interesting that all you due process/rule of law folks are suddenly claiming the courts somehow got it wrong. O.J was a great man. Things may or may not have happened that he may or may not have been involved in. Whatever. He went to trial and he was found innocent. That’s good enough for me. Unlike some of you flip floppers I have faith in the law. But let’s be real here. If ever there was any guy on the planet who deserved a freebie it was OJ. Dude was a legend. Maybe things got a little out of hand, or maybe not, who knows, but ask yourself this, how many MVPs did she get?

Thaedolus

My feedback as a professional writer with a degree in writing (despite all my constant typos) and as an admirer of Ernest Hemingway, my feedback would be to issue a revised version:

He fucking did it

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
He did it.

But the courts job is to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did... with evidence. The case against him was not great in any case. The evidence had been tampered with, the plantiffs resources and witnesses were unreliable at best and corrup at worst, and the media sensationalized the whole thing to where it ecame less and less about the actual crime and more about race relations in America.

Should've never even played out the way it did.
As a European this and other cases is a proof how deranged the US jury system is - court proceedings become a theatre where evidence takes a back seat to feelings.

dave_d

That's a pretty old theory. There was a documentary about it, probably about 20 years ago.
There was a TV show as well that was 2017'ish.

Found it here

I think I saw this actually. The best part of the show was the surprise witness William Dear sprung at the end to prove his case. The funny part about that is while his witness basically implied OJ did it.

Top Bottom