• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fed Court Orders NC to redraw districts, Hold New General Assembly Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoy101

If you know NC, you know this is a Big Deal.

WRAL said:
Federal court orders NC law makers to redraw districts, hold new General Assembly elections in 2017 — In a unanimous ruling Tuesday, a three-judge panel ordered the General Assembly to redraw 28 North Carolina state house and senate districts by March 15, 2017, and to hold a special primary and general election in the fall of 2017.

tumblr_lgqwsbEa891qfjmnk.gif

Yeees, I'm sure it will get appealed. Let me just live with the smug smile I have for a bit.

EDIT: Way More Detail

North Carolina has 120 state House districts and 50 state Senate districts. Although only a handful were found to be drawn unconstitutionally, the federal court order will likely lead to both maps being entirely redrawn because every change to one districts affects the adjoining districts.

Both Republicans and Democrats have regularly use the redistricting process to give their parties an advantage in both federal and state elections. In this case, Republicans parlayed a successful legislative campaign in 2010 into new legislative districts that gave them a stranglehold on state legislative maps.

Republicans will enjoy a 74-seat super majority in the House and a 35-seat super majority in the Senate for the session that opens in January. However, voters who just cast their ballots in legislative races – as well as statewide and local campaigns – on Nov. 8 will head again to the polls in the fall of 2017 to choose a new legislature.

The federal court order opens up the possibility that Democrats could erode the GOP's grip in new elections, but that's far from certain. Another federal court order required the General Assembly to redraw Congressional maps earlier this year. The new maps yielded the same 10-3 Republican advantaged that the GOP had enjoyed under the old maps.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
States should have freedom to protect themselves from massive individual voter fraud and draw districting lines that are aesthetically pleasing to spirograph fans.

JoeBoy101

I'm wondering now if the McCrory recount effort and the lurking threat of legislative action to name him as the winner might've pissed the Feds off a bit?

SG-17 said:
Are they ordering a new election for state officials only or for federal House and Senate seats too?

Probably just the state house and senate seats. Statewide officials are by popular vote and county lines won't matter for them, right?

I'm wondering now if the McCrory recount effort and the lurking threat of legislative action to name him as the winner might've pissed the Feds off a bit?

Probably just the state house and senate seats. Statewide officials are by popular vote and county lines won't matter for them, right?

I'd imagine state level. Federal and statewide races like governorships aren't affected by redistricting.
I thought that House seats were directly tied to districts?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty important news. Could get Cooper into veto range and halt the further disenfranchisement of North Carolina, an important swing state. Real good opportunity for the first step in the Democratic fightback.

JoeBoy101

I think it just dictates number of seats, but the state votes for all of the Representatives to Congress.

EDIT: After reading, it SEEMS like the congressional districts are drawn by the Feds for Congress and the State Congress decides it for State.

Hazmat

It looks like this affects the districts drawn for the state legislature, which do not necessarily line up with the districts for the federal legislature. Texas has like 150 state representative districts, but only 36 federal ones (I don't know about NC).

impirius

Federal courts are the only thing keeping NC from going completely off the rails. Keeping my fingers crossed that this:
1) is substantial
2) survives appeal

JoeBoy101

Can you explain what that 'big deal' is for non-US people, please? I have an idea of it, but no grasp of details.

Sure. There is a large majority of GOP in the state congress in North Carolina. Over the past, well, decade, they have systematically redrawn the voting lines in NC to gerrymander their seats. This means that those areas that vote Democrat are lumped together in areas, while Republican voters are lumped together. Through the redrawing, Democrats have substantially less seats, and Republican seats are near unassailable as they are voted in by counties that are vastly Republican.

Many groups have been fighting legally against this gerrymandering with limited to minor success at best. This decision by the court absolutely blasts through some of the worst recent moves by the GOP and, to me the big deal, forces a near immediate election so that the party can't just weasel out of it or redraw down the road.

DrForester said:
Should we even bother celebrating when it will be overturned by Annoying Orange's SCOTUS next year.

Maybe, and perhaps likely, my dear Doctor. BUT, first, I'm just going to roll around in this to bolster my spirit.

Second, the court can understand that legitimatizing the naked and blatant attempts at this in NC would hand that same weapon to Democrats to use in states they are favored in. And that's looking at it strictly from a partisan standpoint.

As a NC resident, I am pumped. Anyone have any clue as to redistricting possibilities and potential Dem pickups? Like exactly how good could this news be?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Maybe, and perhaps likely, my dear Doctor. BUT, first, I'm just going to roll around in this to bolster my spirit.

Second, the court can understand that legitimatizing the naked and blatant attempts at this in NC would hand that same weapon to Democrats to use in states they are favored in. And that's looking at it strictly from a partisan standpoint.

Well, if you want to have your happiness crushed again in a year or so, be my guest. Republicans know that minority rule is their only way to power now, and they will ensure it stays that way.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This is fantastic news!

....until it heads over to the new Supreme Court and gets obliterated.

Blader

If districts have to be redrawn by March, that'd be too soon for Trump's SCOTUS pick to rule on wouldn't it? In which case the ruling of the lower courts would stand.

I think it just dictates number of seats, but the state votes for all of the Representatives to Congress.

EDIT: After reading, it SEEMS like the congressional districts are drawn by the Feds for Congress and the State Congress decides it for State.

State draws both sets. They already had to redraw US congressional districts by court order this year.

Finalizer

Federal court orders NC law makers to redraw districts, hold new General Assembly elections in 2017 — In a unanimous ruling Tuesday, a three-judge panel ordered the General Assembly to redraw 28 North Carolina state house and senate districts by March 15, 2017, and to hold a special primary and general election in the fall of 2017.

all of the yes gifs

all of them

how will nc gop ruin it this time???

robochimp

If districts have to be redrawn by March, that'd be too soon for Trump's SCOTUS pick to rule on wouldn't it? In which case the ruling of the lower courts would stand.

I wouldn't count on a timely appointment to the Supreme Court. Dems are screwed for senate seats in 2018 as it is, they have no reason to move quickly on hearings for a new justice. The nuclear option of ending the filibuster has already been taken off the table.

Blader

No? That's gonna be the first thing he does.
Trump's SCOTUS pick will likely get through to the bench by February. If the case reaches SCOTUS before then, the new judge would recuse himself from ruling. So the only way SCOTUS could stop the NC districts from being redrawn would be if they took up the case after Trump's pick is confirmed but before the redistricting in March, no?

jfkgoblue

Trump's SCOTUS pick will likely get through to the bench by February. If the case reaches SCOTUS before then, the new judge would recuse himself from ruling. So the only way SCOTUS could stop the NC districts from being redrawn would be if they took up the case after Trump's pick is confirmed but before the redistricting in March, no?
That's definitely what will happen

slit

For those bringing up "Trump's SCOTUS" you do know right now he only has one pick and the pick will be replacing a very conservative justice. Ideologically SCOTUS doesn't really change.....yet.

For those bringing up "Trump's SCOTUS" you do know right now he only has one pick and the pick will be replacing a very conservative justice. Ideologically SCOTUS doesn't really change.....yet.

Unless LGBT rights or the death penalty are involved you should never have faith in Anthony Kennedy to do the right thing.

slit

Unless LGBT rights are involved you should never have faith in Anthony Kennedy to do the right thing.

No, he has some other left leanings as well, but that really isn't the point. The narrative seems to be Trump is picking all new justices for SCOTUS on day one or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom