• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake trilogy’s ending will surpass the original’s, director reveals

20240617-32524-header.jpg

One of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’s co-directors, Motomu Toriyama, recently gave some more hints as to what we can expect from the upcoming final part of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake trilogy. Speaking at an anime convention, Toriyama reveals that we can expect the much-anticipated third part to have a satisfying ending that surpasses that of the original Final Fantasy 7.

Toriyama and battle director Teruki Endo were guests at the Indonesia Anime Con held on June 15 and 16, where they answered various questions about the Final Fantasy 7 Remake trilogy. As a final question in the Q and A session, they were asked “Is there anything you couldn’t do in Remake and Rebirth that you hope you will be able to achieve in the third part?” Echoing battle director Teruki Endo’s recent comments, Toriyama stated that they want to give players even more freedom to explore in the final entry and are working on new ways to do this.
Moriyama then revealed that the ending of the final part will tie together all the story threads from the expanded remake’s previous installments. “We would like to bring you a moving and impressive ending which will answer all the mysteries in Rebirth and exceeds the original game”

Ozzie666

Can’t wait to experience it after the weight of mini games. Seriously looking forward to this one and my ocd is ready.

All threads? Rebirth was a 100-150 hour game. Part 3 could easily be a 150-200 hour game if they choose to cover everything. But I bet most loose threads will be resolved with Sephiroth doing exposition “You see Cloud, we ARE The Patriots after all, you understand?”

Kazdane

Gold Member
Bring it on! I loved Remake and Rebirth, and I like how they're expanding the universe of FFVII. Although surpassing the original's ending will be hard in part due to nostalgia and in part because the story was simpler, so it was easier to wrap up everything nicely.
Dis Gon B Good GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
my prediction.

Aerith and Zack confirmed dead but is alive in another timeline together. Cloud created the new timeline.

Ansphn

But will the graphic be blurry? I had to take a break from the game when a was over a mountain that looked like it was from a PS2 game.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

After Rebirth... I 100% trust them.

I hope it will have the submarine and snowboarding mini games.

Come On Time GIF by Liverpool FC
The Snowboard
for sure, it had a huge mural in Gold Saucer Entertainment zone saying 'Opening Soon' or something like that. Also, you know why we didn't get it still, we still haven't climbed the mountain after the Ancients city.

If they don't include the submarine I will be very sad. :lollipop_crying:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Considering

1: FFVII 97's ending is the best ending of all time

and

2: The REtard-team fucked up both Remake AND Rebirths endings so massively, it retroactively ruins all prior games,

I'm absolutely certain they're full of shit. This team is REALLY fucking good at making action combat, soundtrack, art, graphics and even dialogue, but when it comes to directing endings, they are the absolute fucking worse. I have 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% faith the ending to this trilogy will be any better than the shitfest that was the ending of Remake and Rebirth.

omegasc

I think he means it will go beyond the final act of the original, like into advent children territory, not that it will necessarily be better 🤔

Švejk

The World Crisis (ending) music from the original OST still brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it ... And now, playing Rebirth along side with my daughter.. I can't even imagine what emotions this one will embed in my feels.

Disco Dave

Gold Member
After Rebirth... I 100% trust them.

I hope it will have the submarine and snowboarding mini games.

Come On Time GIF by Liverpool FC
Opposite for me. I enjoyed Remake but found Rebirth a bloated mess. Some of the world building was enjoyable but the rinse and repeat side quests and Chadleys constant interruptions made me quit after reaching Junon. I know you can fast forward his text but it was just gamebreaking for me. Like, just shut the fuck up GigaChad and stop repeating the same thing for the 20th time.

I also despise the Kingdom Hearts style of convoluted storytelling. The original was a flawed masterpiece. It just needed a boob job. Instead it got botox, liposuction, hair transplant, a penis enlargement and a nose job.

Aion002

Opposite for me. I enjoyed Remake but found Rebirth a bloated mess. Some of the world building was enjoyable but the rinse and repeat side quests and Chadleys constant interruptions made me quit after reaching Junon. I know you can fast forward his text but it was just gamebreaking for me. Like, just shut the fuck up GigaChad and stop repeating the same thing for the 20th time.

I also despise the Kingdom Hearts style of convoluted storytelling. The original was a flawed masterpiece. It just needed a boob job. Instead it got botox, liposuction, hair transplant, a penis enlargement and a nose job.
Indeed the opposite. That's a pity.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I also started getting annoyed by the amount of side quests, because I got really curious about the main quest, so I simply decided to skip a couple of them.

I really liked that the game doesn't make you do anything that you don't want to do, including Chadley quests, which didn't annoy me at all. Also, the game allows the player to go back to any side quest at any moment after finishing the game, thanks to the chapter selector, so skipping the side quests isn't a issue (any progress made on the side quests are also saved) and gives me more reasons to go back to the game later.

I really liked that they retconned things from other FFVII stuff (Like Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and others) and made new things, I would definitely enjoy it less if it was just FFVII with ps5 graphics, if I want to replay the original FFVII for the ninth time, I can do it at any moment, luckily I am not bothered by the ps1 graphics.

Just saying, one thing you can do about Chadley and Mai, if they annoyed you so much, you can mute both on the game options in the world exploration. Just go to the in game options and set the communications dialogue to come through the PS5 controller's speaker. Then, in the PS5's settings, turn the volume on the controller all the way down, with this you won't hear them while exploring the map. You can also, on cut scenes, just press start and choose skip when they show up.

As someone that didn't play the Remake yet, I love how divisive these two games are. Genuinely. The comments here and on every thread related to them, are really engaging to read.

I think that's a strange thing to say though ("exceeds the original game")... I'm not saying it can't be done, but, that just seems like something that is very subjective.

If we were talking about a dated game, I would understand. But Final Fantasy 7's ending is arguably pretty excellent, by today's standards even...

Again, I didn't play these games yet, so I don't have doubts or no-doubts, because I don't know how they handled the story in these.

It's just strange. But I appreciate their confidence.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Moriyama then revealed that the ending of the final part will tie together all the story threads from the expanded remake’s previous installments. “We would like to bring you a moving and impressive ending which will answer all the mysteries in Rebirth and exceeds the original game”

'equals the original game' i could live with. but, to the extent these guys are basically 'expanding on' a all-time classic major accomplishment of another group of individuals, i find them attempting to 'exceed' the original in anything it managed to achieve to be kinda obnoxious...

'an amazing new version of the original', that i'm fine with. 'better than the original'? how can that even be possible, when you consider that, unlike your 'version', the original was completely made up from scratch?...

Pejo

If it doesn't surpass the original on the first attempt, they can just use time ghosts and do it again! Brilliant!

Top Bottom