• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

I'm pretty sure I haven't watched this film since it was released back in 2001, and now that I've watched it again out of curiosity I'm pretty sure I remember why now.

It has been released multiple times on home media, including this most recent release on 4K UHD Blu-ray with HDR grading. The original film was a significant technological accomplishment back at the turn of the 21st century, but today it's a 4K upscale of a movie originally rendered at around 900p resolution with asset quality which was characteristic of its day. To put it bluntly as possible, it has not aged well at all technically. I think my PS5 is able to render in realtime with better quality than this film looks. It doesn't look bad or anything, but today it's no better than your average video game cutscene in appearance.

In terms of its legacy, well today the film has to stand on something other than it's technical merits, and let's just say this movie bombed for a reason. It is basically a deeply boring and nearly incoherent 1 hour and 45 minutes long Final Fantasy video game cutscene. Despite its relatively short length, it felt much longer than it actually was because of how boring it is. The script is awful, the dialogue is awful, and the voice acting is wooden and awful. Alec Baldwin actually put his best foot forward as the male lead, but Ming-Na sounded like she was reading the script and bored to tears while internally laughing at the garbage she was reading off the script pages. I don't know who thought this story was a good idea but I hope it wasn't Hironobu Sakaguchi because I can't imagine what he was thinking with this one.

This movie ultimately cost so much and bombed so badly that it not only bankrupted Square Pictures after only 1 film, it financially destroyed the parent company Squaresoft which is what forced the merger to create the modern company Square Enix in Japan. Suffice it to say that it was not worth it. This movie sucked on almost every imaginable level, and honestly the script would be rejected and laughed at if it were proposed for a Final Fantasy video game. To actually have spent the kind of money they did on making it into a movie is astounding levels of hubris.

Anyways, this one can go back into a forgotten memory. I'm glad I only wasted 1 hour and 45 minutes on this film.

kunonabi

My big problem with it is that the narrative would have been better as a tv/mini series. The world itself is interesting and a lot of the background stories would have been good to actually see and the film's events and payoffs would have benefited greatly from them being on-screen.

Total poop. Didn't even have swords innit?

Third-rate sci-fi. Actually went to see it in the theater... now that I think about it, I didn't really play another game in the series after it came out. Coincidence? Probably not. It was a level of shitty that seeps deep into your soul, rotting and festering, assuring that no longer can any joy spring forth from the seed that is Final Fantasy ever again.

winjer

I went to see it on the cinema with some friends, back in the day.
The part I remember best about the movie, was the sense of boredom when we were leaving the cinema.

ahtlas7

At least we got this
Ffmaxim_aki_ross.jpg

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Final Fantasy has never been good when it's been adapted to the silver screen. Spirits Within, Advent Children & Kingsglaive all suck ass compared to its video game counterparts. Amazing visuals sure, but the script, dialogue, pacing and overall directing is very amateurish.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They should have started with Advent Children. Give the fans what they want to see. Arguably, that was a weird ass movie too 😂

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I saw it in the theater. As you say, it was tedious and incoherent. It failed to capture any of the magic of the games. No good reason for it to exist.
It was a fools vision! It almost destroyed SquareSoft. This was the first company I ever took notice of in terms of the people behind the games. I remember keeping up with the news with EGM magazine, among others.
Edited*

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Been playing FF for nearly 3 decades but still haven't seen this.

I think it'll keep it that way.

At least Advent Children had fan service and some very nice visuals and set pieces for when it released. As well as recreating the FF7 cast in humanoid form.

Dev1lXYZ

I saw this in theaters back in the day. I knew what I was walking in to from the beginning and had pretty low expectations. It was a technical marvel and they spent a lot of money advertising it. It was groundbreaking in a sense that they thought they could create digital actors and basically license them out kind of like how the old studio system had done.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Seeing this in the theater was one of the high points of that year...that and the cool
'year 2000' space ice cream bites that had just come out that no one seems to remember but me

I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this but I like the story/characters far more in Spirits Within than any FF game that came out afterwards
It should not have been a major release better as an anime OVA or spinoff game but I fucking loved the direction they were going in
I own this on amazon prime and watch it at least once a year "FF12" was my "spirits within" what a shit game
GAF seems to be the mecca of love for that game I'll never understand it lol

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is one of the all-time "oh yea THAT happened" in vidya. Like, "remember the time Square almost tanked their entire company coming off an incredible 5 year stretch with a shitty ass movie?"

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Product of its time that looked incredible visually but absolutely sucked balls narratively and everything else, it was a total mess and pretty much summed up big screen Japanese movies/gaming for me.. all incomprehensible nonsense wrapped up in a shiny package

nkarafo

All i remember from this movie was some bullshit "the characters look like real people" my dumb friends were parroting around. I don't know where that came from, probably an internet or magazine article or something. And even after we saw the movie they still would insist they do look like real. Like, you see those characters on screen and you think they are actual actors and not CGI, "that's how good the CGI is". God i hated my dumb friends those days.

AJUMP23

Saw it in the theaters walked out and wondered what that was about. It made no sense.

I should watch it again.

Isn't thin also why Square and Enix merged, because this almost bankrupted the company. Square Pictures.

Last edited:

JBat

Gold Member
Wasn't the plot basically scientology? Haven't seen it in 20+ years so can't remember if that's true

BlackTron

Gold Member
I didn't horrifically regret the experience when it came out in the theater but never had any desire to watch or even think about it ever again...

AREYOUOKAY?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I watched it in 2001 when I was like 9 and I'm pretty sure I had no idea what was going on. They were on a planet and there were energy monsters and the planets life force was tryna kill them or some shit.

Having said that... even then at 9 with very little understanding of the movie, I somehow knew it was bad 🤣

Last edited:

Thaedolus

My dad took me to see it opening night and uhh…I couldn’t tell you what it’s about or that I’ve ever desired to see it again.

It's not really an awful movie or anything and the technology was really awesome at the time, but it wasn't worth the price that resulted (Sakaguchi, etc). Not a great "FF" movie, misses many of the tropes and tendencies the series had and that probably was part of the issue. But only part.

Audiophile

There were a lot of elements I liked and it hits hard nostalgia-wise for the time period I watched it in. I'll probably grab the 4K and give it another spin; as I last watched it on DVD rented from the local video rental place.

Got the Elliot Goldenthal score mentioned above already.

I'm not a Final Fantasy fan/player though, so maybe I'm just seeing it as its own thing. I have very little knowledge of FF, but I'm gonna hazard a guess it has very little to do with any given game or lore...?!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not a Final Fantasy fan/player though, so maybe I'm just seeing it as its own thing. I have very little knowledge of FF, but I'm gonna hazard a guess it has very little to do with any given game or lore...?!

Yes, and that's one of the reasons that the movie didn't really appeal to my inner fan boy.

Top Bottom