• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Details on Halo Infinite Canceled Campaign Expansion

Draugoth

Gold Member
1bc40e22-a69d-4a1e-84ea-a0a887dbc750.jpg

Rebs Gaming (who revealed the cut Crusher campaign creature, Halo Infinite multiplayer content, Halo 5 multiplayer Project Infinity, how 343 Industries former leadership ruined the development of Infinites campaign, and confirmed the end of MCCs development) uploaded a video report that reveals specific cut content from Halo Infinites campaign:

Key Points:

• UNSC Infinity was going to be a HUB for Master Chief on Zeta Halo with soldiers and scientists that gave out quests
  • Infinity HUB was scrapped and morphed into a UNSC compound which was scrapped for FOB’s.
  • Far Cry 5 like Factions controlled certain areas of the map
  • Factions controlled by Banished Warlords at Strongholds
  • Strongholds surrounded by support bases (barracks, weapon depot and vehicle depot).
  • 343 looked at collecting upgrades at bases like Ghost Recon Wildlands
  • Some form of dungeons similar to Mass Effect Andromeda was in the plan from a very early stage
  • Breathe of the Wild was a big inspiration, they wanted to include different biomes.

Last edited:

Allandor

The lack of additional campaign content has been incredibly disappointing. As it is, it's just an unfinished game with an incredibly empty open world.
Yeah, campaign was good, but really hoped for new SP content.
E.g. a mode where the map is conquered back by the enemy wave after wave, if the player is not active in those regions....
So far enemies are just respawning over and over again without any interactivity.

Zannegan

Gold Member
You mean like the first three Halo games had? How the hell does Breath of the Wild get credited for something the series already incorporated (prior to 343 running the show) and is cannon? The first game establishes that the Halo rings have biomes.
Maybe BotW was more of an overall inspiration, and they saw the biomes the series had fitting well into that framework? (Eg. special, eeather-dependent gear... though that makes little sense for a guy in a literal space suit). IDK.

It was a fun Halo sandbox but a shit campaign. It should have always launched with multiple biomes and accompanying enemies, vehicles, tactics plus coop etc.

Mini bosses were cool but they really didn't expand the content for launch due to being behind on the tech and engine so much.

So much of 343 mistakes were due to not holding ground and delivering long term. At least MCC and the new studio heads get that now.

Xyphie

Such a weird unfinished game, it's not really bad or anything but it just feels like they forgot to ship the second half of it when you play it. Remember doing the final boss fight against the Harbinger or whatever the big bad was called thinking it was just another boss, and then the game just kinda ended - roll credits.

YuLY

spanish what GIF

Finger is pointed at the wrong place champ.
really? because you know what they say, the fish starts to smell from the head. You really think the grunt programmers or artists are at fault here not leadership ?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Ugh, after 5 years between games and the second time dumping the last games story and starting anew, the end of Infinite was finally starting to hint at some interesting stuff I would have been interested in getting into, then they screw up its future again.

The engine demo still makes me a bit sad, it looked so promising with the different biomes it sounds like this DLC would have brought

We need to hear the future of Halo soon

clarky

Gold Member
I just think people need to keep that in mind when looking at the last showcase.
I mean they even made the Redfall gameplay trailer look good at the showcase . . .
Most things we saw were alot further along than the infinite trailer but yeah, ill believe MS when ive actually played a banger from them(unlikely).

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It was a fun Halo sandbox but a shit campaign. It should have always launched with multiple biomes and accompanying enemies, vehicles, tactics plus coop etc.

Mini bosses were cool but they really didn't expand the content for launch due to being behind on the tech and engine so much.

So much of 343 mistakes were due to not holding ground and delivering long term. At least MCC and the new studio heads get that now.
I really enjoyed it but like you say its half a game. They should have made each piece of the ring a level that you had to recapture with different themes. the just add more bit of the ring with each expansion. I dont see why that would have been so hard for the old retards over at 343i to implement.

Still Heniz Beans is in charge now so lets see what he comes up with.

Edit: Game was missing epic set pieces and moments as well.

Last edited:
I don't really jump on these bandwagon's usually, but this one I will never understand. There must have been some serious challenges to overcome to just abandon it - it was called Infinite ffs. And it was Halo...

Campaign was great too, such a shame. Wonder if we'll ever know what actually happened...

clarky

Gold Member
All you gotta do is make a campaign like Halo 3 or Halo Reach.
None of this open world shit.
A mix of the 2 would be ideal imo. Big overworld with linear missions. Half of Halos levels are almost like that anyway.

The idea behind Infinite was good, the execution not so much. Like i said i enjoyed it but it could have been so much more.

The actual gameplay was as tight as a Nuns chuff.

clarky

Gold Member
What the hell happened to this engine demo vision?

It looked so much better than the game we got.

That’s why it’s hard to trust MS teasers these days. The actual product tends to fail to live up to reality
It was bullshit, just a modified version of the Blam engine in the end.

Last edited:

Dutchy

MCC has 2.5 times the player numbers on steam right now.

But of course that doesn't have anything to do with the extensive 4 player co-op campaigns featuring numerous interesting biomes, incredible level design that never needed a "press X to sprint, grapple or clamber here" and a multiplayer mode so timeless (FUNCTIONING theater mode included) that most people would rather play Pit, Guardian, Narrows for the 15th year in a row instead of a new map on Infinite.

343i's vision of the franchise is inheretly flawed and that's excluding the fact that they can't even deliver a content complete package at launch (3 L's in a row now)

They should swallow their pride and simply follow the bungie games their design philosophy and try to innovate from there instead of doing either half assed attempts at reinventing the wheel or blatantly copying shit from other shooters.

Most boring Halo to date. 4 and 5 are almost fun compared to it.

Ozriel

M$FT
Title seems off. video and summary bullet points seems to be talking about stuff cut from the released game and not about campaign expansion.

This is a big case of mismanagement. Between poor MS supervision and confused leadership from 343i, it’s clear Infinite could have been so much more.

Shubh_C63

Infinite Money. All the time in the world.
And yet they failed spectacularly. in every medium.

Sad thing is even now they have a chance to redeem the franchise, the brand is just That strong.

Last edited:

splattered

I would love to see a rebooted Halo sequel similar to what we are getting with Gears E-Day.

Shame it will probably never happen.

dem

I can't believe they never even put out one expansion of Infinite.
The single player game feels like they bit off so much more than they could chew. Like at some point they cut the scope of the game by like 70%.

I wonder wtf 343 has been doing since then

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's too bad, the game suffered from too much scope and not enough time. Still was a fun play through for me but this add on would have helped it a lot.

clarky

Gold Member
All they needed to do was have couch coop.
LOL no. For the 15 people that would have actually used it maybe.

Game had a hell of a lot more pressing problems than that.

It's too bad, the game suffered from too much scope and not enough time. Still was a fun play through for me but this add on would have helped it a lot.
This has to be a 4D chess troll post right?

The game had all the time in the world and a piss poor upper management problem.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I wonder wtf 343 has been doing since then
Restructuring, fixing Infinites MP, and they made a start on the new Halo game I believe.

I'm Hopeful for the next game, Pierre Hintze has gone good work for Halo and i'm willing to see what he comes up with. A fresh start is needed Infinte has got too bad a rep now, unfairly i'd say its in a pretty good state just now.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

1bc40e22-a69d-4a1e-84ea-a0a887dbc750.jpg

Rebs Gaming (who revealed the cut Crusher campaign creature, Halo Infinite multiplayer content, Halo 5 multiplayer Project Infinity, how 343 Industries former leadership ruined the development of Infinites campaign, and confirmed the end of MCCs development) uploaded a video report that reveals specific cut content from Halo Infinites campaign:

Key Points:

• UNSC Infinity was going to be a HUB for Master Chief on Zeta Halo with soldiers and scientists that gave out quests
  • Infinity HUB was scrapped and morphed into a UNSC compound which was scrapped for FOB’s.
  • Far Cry 5 like Factions controlled certain areas of the map
  • Factions controlled by Banished Warlords at Strongholds
  • Strongholds surrounded by support bases (barracks, weapon depot and vehicle depot).
  • 343 looked at collecting upgrades at bases like Ghost Recon Wildlands
  • Some form of dungeons similar to Mass Effect Andromeda was in the plan from a very early stage
  • Breathe of the Wild was a big inspiration, they wanted to include different biomes.

It shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone that the campaign was undercooked, at least the gameplay was good. I do wish they had focused on adding more campaign elements than PvP battlepass shit... but that's me

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
LOL no. For the 15 people that would have actually used it maybe.

Game had a hell of a lot more pressing problems than that.

This has to be a 4D chess troll post right?

The game had all the time in the world and a piss poor upper management problem.

So Gta gets 12+ years for its open world and Halo gets 5 or 6? I'm not saying there wasn't room for being faster, but if they had stuck to a traditionally on rails halo, the game would have had better levels, better everything. They were so busy trying to make it huge and open, it rushed the end product. I hope they ditch the open world for halo 7.

clarky

Gold Member
So Gta gets 12+ years for its open world and Halo gets 5 or 6? I'm not saying there wasn't room for being faster, but if they had stuck to a traditionally on rails halo, the game would have had better levels, better everything. They were so busy trying to make it huge and open, it rushed the end product. I hope they ditch the open world for halo 7.
6 years is plenty enough time to release the next game in an established franchise. One that's feature complete.

If they had too much scope as you put it that's on management to reign that shit in. An experienced studio should know what is and isn't possible within the timeframe they have.

Last edited:
Their main mistake was making the game on a new engine which by all accounts is a pile of shit.

The move to ue5 is the last chance halo has.

Varteras

Gold Member
You mean like the first three Halo games had? How the hell does Breath of the Wild get credited for something the series already incorporated (prior to 343 running the show) and is cannon? The first game establishes that the Halo rings have biomes.

You mean you didn't know that Halo got biome variety from BotW? Come on, man. Next you're gonna tell me you didn't know Dark Souls took inspiration from it for swinging a sword. Vantage points that reveal the map? Assassin's Creed ripped off BotW. That's well documented. World of Warcraft's gear breaking? Yep. A take on BotW's best system where your weapons have to be constantly replaced. Don't even get me started on cooking food. Or deflecting projectiles. Or having a male main character. Or a princess to save. BotW invented video games. Get your head out of the sand!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What a shame. Infinite's campaign was probably one of the better open-world first person campaigns, would have loved to see them do the expansion-promise.
Murder monkey harassing you like a jaded ex wore thin at about the 5th same/same outpost encounter.

Ah Halo, the series that was so groundbreaking and helped push the FPS genre forward...had a bunch of plans to copy shit from other games.
It’s always been clear that Bungie was the driving force behind almost everything that made Halo good. 343i and Microsoft have no clue what they are doing.

The fact that 343i was so adamant on the “no Bungie” thing that they tried to remove actors and didn’t want to hire anybody from Bungie for the longest time should tell you everything.

They killed the thing that even allowed Xbox to become a force in the market to begin with.

Top Bottom