• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Xbox VP, Mike Ybarra says "Given the size of Microsoft Gaming now, it’s just not sustainable to not be embracing all platforms"

GHG

Gold Member
Some interesting points/insight here:

And for those who can't see the tweet here's the text:

I feel great about the show and the strategy Phil is talking about in the press.

As Phil said in an interview, more and more of their games will go to more platforms. He’s obviously referring to PS and Nintendo. Being the world’s largest publisher of great games everywhere is the foundational goal they must embrace. They must make great games that sell and drive player interest on every device available. The games are the platform going forward - and the social graphs etc.

Look, I get hardcore Xbox console fans want exclusives and want Xbox hardware to rule them all. Having worked on many Xbox consoles myself, I admit I have mixed emotions on it. I love Xbox. You have to put emotion aside and focus on the teams, players and business - and make hard decisions. Given the size of Microsoft Gaming now, it’s just not sustainable to not be embracing all platforms. They are taking their players in this journey - and that is not easy. But this is the right plan for their teams and players.

I have no insider information, but I wouldn’t do hardware directly going forward. You have tons of 3rd party hardware companies making PC handhelds - embrace them and focus on making great games while making Windows good on these devices (ton of work here!). Microsoft is good at this. They might do their own PC device but IMHO it will be expensive and low volume. Maybe selling a $600-$800 handheld is smart, but I wouldn’t do it. Too much distraction, cost and risk. Focus the entire org on games and getting your subscription on PS and other devices - which emotion aside is what players at scale will eventually embrace.

Exciting times for gamers everywhere. And I wish all of the platform holders and publishers great success. Most of all, as a player, the future of gaming looks bright - and I am very happy about that!

Hudo

What's with that dude screaming shit about what Microsoft should or shouldn't do from the off?

He did a shit job when he was in charge of Blizzard and what qualifies him now to be Mr. Business Advice on Twitter?

GHG

Gold Member
The problem is how Sony would allow Gamepass on PS with third party software there.

All things considered, I don't think they will. I see gamepass being something that Microsoft reserve for use on hardware they can control or run Windows on.

Didn’t he just attack Blizzard’s quality. You know, the company he was just running?

That was the plan.

Think About It GIF by Identity

cireza

Guy is stating the obvious.

How do you address the infinite growth expected by shareholders when you have a finite number of people buying your hardware and games ? Microsoft shifted more quickly because they clearly see the dead-end.

Last edited:

SHA

NIIY2o7.jpeg

I don’t mind though. Makes the decision between PlayStation/Xbox a lot easier.
That could make the next xbox technically superior in every possible way, if they make their games on Playstation then obviously they need to understand how the console is built.

They will not, they will sell their games on PC, cloud and handhelds but we are talking 20 years from now.

Why do they need to give up their 100 million+ hardware sales and subs to release on PC, cloud, and handhelds though? They can do both at the same time.

Guy is stating the obvious.

How do you address the infinite growth expected by shareholders when you have a finite number of people buying your hardware and games ? Microsoft shifted more quickly because they clearly see the dead-end.

Shareholders are going to lose their minds once population stagnation really starts to hit first world countries.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
NIIY2o7.jpeg

I don’t mind though. Makes the decision between PlayStation/Xbox a lot easier.
I mean, yes and no. I’ll support Xbox as long as they have game pass. The only thing that would keep me from getting the next Xbox is if they cancelled game pass, or allowed game pass on a PlayStation/Nintendo console.

Game pass is too good to not support.

I don’t care to “own” games at this point in my life. Renting/subscriptions are all I need.

Last edited:

splattered

I really dont care where the games are for people but what DOES bother me is the thought of there no longer being Xbox console moving forward :(

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean, yes and no. I’ll support Xbox as long as they have game pass. The only thing that would keep me from getting the next Xbox is if they cancelled game pass, or allowed game pass on a PlayStation/Nintendo console.

I don’t care to “own” games at this point in my life. Renting/subscriptions are all I need.

Gamepass and Gamefly is all I need to sustain my gaming hobby.

Robb

Gold Member
For now I guess. I’d probably had said the same about Netflix in its early days until they got comfortable and started to up the prices just because they can.

But I’ll definitely keep going with GamePass for now as well. I just don’t see it in my future long-term.

XXL

I’ll support Xbox as long as they have game pass. The only thing that would keep me from getting the next Xbox is if they cancelled game pass, or allowed game pass on a PlayStation/Nintendo console.
That's great, but you realize this a massive problem they have created for themselves.

Currently, Xbox is Game Pass to the hardcore fanbase. You just have read a few threads anywhere to see that.

The hardcore fanbase they have will leave if they have to purchase software for the system.

You have to see how this a problem for them.

This isn’t a sustainable.

This is exactly why they are expanding out to other platforms....quickly.
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
He's half-right, IMO. I think he's just not accounting for the people who have invested into the Xbox Store library. Leaving those people behind is not good business, so another generation of Xbox consoles should definitely be made.

Oppoi

I really don't see how a service like gamepass will work long term when people are expecting games like DOOM and COD. I think gamepass will shift towards lower value at a higher price. I mean isn't that the model?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Given the size of Microsoft Gaming now, it’s just not sustainable to not be embracing all platforms.
Let's recap again:

1. Microsoft argues it cannot compete by growing their internal studios organically, thus it needs to buy other studios to compete with Sony
2. Microsoft buys other studios
3. Microsoft is too big now to keep games only on Xbox, thus they are going to publish them on Playstation

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Is it just me or is there a serious logical lapse somewhere? All this reads as Nadella saying "bruh, you just spent 60 billion USD on buying ABK, you have to be kidding if you think I will be satisfied with keeping these games on your shitty box".

But ABK games were already multiplatform, so...

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Ultimately it really depends on the scale of your business, and the install base/ addressable market for your games. Certainly just Xbox consoles and PC isn't enough of userbase for most of their games, any longer. Not with Xbox sales being so slow and the market clearly picking PlayStation this cycle over Xbox.

But since Microsoft gaming is so enormous and now encompasses not only all of Bethesda but also Activision/ Blizzard/ King, they absolutely need most of their games to be multiplatform going forward. You just can't ignore the Switch base, nor the PS base.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Let's recap again:

1. Microsoft argues it cannot compete by growing their internal studios organically, thus it needs to buy other studios to compete with Sony
2. Microsoft buys other studios
3. Microsoft is too big now to keep games only on Xbox, thus they are going to publish them on Playstation

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Is it just me or is there a serious logical lapse somewhere? All this reads as Nadella saying "bruh, you just spent 60 billion USD on buying ABK, you have to be kidding if you think I will be satisfied with keeping these games on your shitty box".

But ABK games were already multiplatform, so...

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

No it's all logical. You are just misunderstanding the bolded.

They said this 20 years ago. It wasn't true then and it isn't true now.
Confirmed that 20 years ago cloud game streaming and phone/ tablets were ubiquitous devices that could run high-end games. (PSA: none of those technologies even existed yet)

**The first iPhone was 2008**

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Confirmed that 20 years ago cloud game streaming and phone/ tablets were ubiquitous devices that could run high-end games. (PSA: none of those technologies even existed yet)

**The first iPhone was 2008**
There absolutely were PCs and handhelds 20 years ago. Streaming was also around but not what it was today.

My point was more around people predicting the end of consoles for 20 years. It wasn't true then and it won't be true any time soon. If anything PCs are going to become more and more console/tablet like with curated experiences.

Top Bottom