• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, do you think movie theaters are becoming an expensive, relic of the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion sprang up after looking at Beasts of No Nation trailer (if you haven't seen it, stop everything and watch it right now). This movie is being produced by Netflix and easily rivals a hollywood production. And it's not being released in theaters.

Movie theater chains are resisting showing this movie. Understandably, as they dont get any profits from doing so. But theater going experience isn't exactly a 5 star experience either. The seats are uncomfortable, the food is expensive, you cant pause if you need to take a pee break, and you are forced in a big ass rooom with a bunch of people many of which may or may not be annoying. And the tickets are creeping up in price. On the other hand, going on a date or with a group of friends to a theater isn't the worst thing you could do.

Christopher Nolan also said something recently about theaters, which is that they need innovation, else they will be a thing of the past:
According to The Guardian, Nolan told the audience that they could no longer simply stick a giant TV in a room and expect people to come watch film on it. He said:
For some reason, it has become acceptable to say [to audiences] we are providing this empty room with a TV in it and just watch a film. That has to change and if it doesn’t change, forget film, forget digital, if that experience for the audience is not valued, people stop going.

I see Beasts of No Nation ushering a new phase of quality filmmaking where Hulu, Yahoo Screen, Amazon Video and Youtube will also jump on. They already established their turf when it comes to TV series. This will drive the profits of AMC, Fandango, Regal, etc to new lows. Of course they will be around for movies like BvS or Avengers, but cant help but think the theater going experience will change very soon and might even become obsolete.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Multiplex cinemas are bleh. It is all about smaller theaters that serve reasonably priced snacks and beer for me

For the price of just two multiplex tickets, I can get two tickets, two slices of pizza and a mini pitcher of beer at my local theater.

FloatOn

I feel like independent theaters will always be around if only for the novelty. Same with theaters that show old films.

and yes, the blockbusters will keep theaters alive as well.

the only thing that will get lost is the "middle-tier" movie and they are kind of already bowing out with being on VOD the same day as theatrical release.

BioHazard

Beasts of No Nation is definitely being released in theaters. It's just a limited release. I'm going to see it Saturday

Mesoian

Nothing can beat a great audiovisual experience in a good cinema.

And the fact that most larger cinemas are spending time and money overhauling their seating in order to make it a more comfortable experience makes me still willing to go to the movies. Those giant recliners are the best. Don't have to worry about people kicking your seat and you can curl up and get as comfortable as you can.

Movie theaters seem like they're still going pretty strong to me. Obviously they will have some kind of limited shelf life; they won't last forever as a source of entertainment, not once technology can catch up and surpass the experience. I'm sure VR movies will be the final nail in the coffin eventually.

Nope. I think there will be more smaller theaters with more specific audiences but i'm sure they'll never really go away.

There is absolutely nothing like watching a movie in a theater with optimal conditions. I dearly hope that never becomes something of the past.

As for added value, the theater i go to almost every week usually has some sort of debate/invited speaker right after the movies for people who want to stay after the movie, which is always really cool, and from what the manager told me they almost always get the invitees to volunteer for the talks.

i mean movies theoretically can be offered online now for streaming as we have seen with some films that release digitally before/at the same time.

The issue lies that if you go towards video streaming online you open your film to be pirated more easily than just a camcorder recording.

Begbie

Beasts of No Nation did receive a limited theatrical release, it premiered last month at TIFF. Until blockbuster films stop breaking records every year theaters will be around. They aren't going away anytime soon.

I only go to my local theater since its cheaper. They play movies after they've been out for 2 or 3 weeks but I'm fine with the wait since its only $5 to see a film during the day and $7.50 at night. Big chains are just too expensive.

I love theaters like Alamo Drafthouse and Cinetopia that serve real food, often beer, and have strict policies about noise and phones. I hope those are here to stay.

I don't think they're relics of the past. They are expensive though.

Films releasing in theaters is still the biggest part of the industry and that's not going to change as long as the money's still there.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Unfortunately, I don't think theaters are going anywhere. Personally, I would never go to a theater again if everything was released at the same time on streaming. I'd probably pay triple what I pay for a ticket to just not have to deal with theaters.

Nope, for about $6, I can go see a movie with superior sound and visual quality than I have at home.
That's worth it to me.
I go see a new movie on average once a week.

I've got plenty of issues with modern multiplexes, but I'd imagine that very few people want their first experience watching Spectre or The Force Awakens to be in their living room.

I only go to my local theater since its cheaper. They play movies after they've been out for 2 or 3 weeks but I'm fine with the wait since its only $5 to see a film during the day and $7.50 at night. Big chains are just too expensive.

Yeah, mine does too, and i feel that it's almost better to watch something outside of its premiere season. Sometimes they even do relatively old movies which is even better. It really adds to the experience, putting you in the shoes of an enthusiast rather than a hobbyist.

BioHazard

Beasts of No Nation did receive a limited theatrical release, it premiered last month at TIFF. Until blockbuster films stop breaking records every year theaters will be around. They aren't going away anytime soon.

This too, it seems like people are going out to the movies more than ever. I do wonder though what people's max price point would be. It's now 15.50 per person to see a film at a multiplex (Regal/AMC) in NY and independent/smaller theaters aren't that much cheaper.

But it seems like most of America, outside of the big, expensive cities still has reasonable ticket prices, like $5-10. I always laugh when someone online complains about 3D bumping their ticket price up to like $8.50 or something

EDIT: Also check out Moviepass, it's saved me probably hundreds of dollars each year.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
For big summer tentpole type blockbusters, nothing beats the movie theater.

But for smaller, lower budget films, it seems that watching at home is the better option now.

I think the traditional cinema as we know it is going to be extinct. Nolan is right, there's no real hook for going to the movie theater besides watching the newest movie on a giant screen. Netflix has positioned itself to be ahead of the curve, and sites like Hulu and Amazon Prime are going to be competitors now to the normal distribution companies with 2-3 years time. With 4K and now 8K TV sets in the pipeline, we're getting a lot closer to theater quality films at home.Theaters have to evolve so that a hook to go to one still remains. In some ways, theaters have really abused this luxury of getting movies first to price gouge for refreshments and cheap out on seats. My prediction would be, theater going would become a luxury of sorts and the chains would position themselves as such. They'd be a lot closer to Alamo Drafthouse, with an emphasis on experience. The only real hook left for theaters is IMAX and 3D. 3D is already available with TVs, so really its just IMAX and the sound system that comes with it. That's not a good enough reason for me at least to regularly watch movies in the long run. And I prefer the smaller theaters anyway, that offer a variety of programming like foreign films or late night horror movies.

And frankly, where else can you go? 4D films? Smelloscope? Choose your own adventure type films? It's all gimmicky ideas.

EDIT: Here, in NY, it cost be $16 to see Sicario in theaters late night. Maybe I'm biased.

I hope so, I just don't get the appeal when you factor in the cost of everything. It would be vaguely more palatable if the popcorn wasn't so trash every time but they just put in the absolute bare minimum in effort and quality and we all just take it because "they gotta make money somehow." Fuck that. If it wasn't for my girlfriend I'd never go to a theatre.

This too, it seems like people are going out to the movies more than ever. I do wonder though what people's max price point would be. It's now 15.50 per person to see a film at a multiplex (Regal/AMC) in NY and independent/smaller theaters aren't that much cheaper.

But it seems like most of America, outside of the big, expensive cities still has reasonable ticket prices, like $5-10. I always laugh when someone online complains about 3D bumping their ticket price up to like $8.50 or something

EDIT: Also check out Moviepass, it's saved me probably hundreds of dollars each year.
Yeah, here in Atlanta, It's about $6 on a Sunday, $8 on Friday and Satuday before 4, and $10 during primetime on the weekend.

hiredhand

This discussion sprang up after looking at Beasts of No Nation trailer (if you haven't seen it, stop everything and watch it right now). This movie is being produced by Netflix and easily rivals a hollywood production. And it's not being released in theaters.
First of all Beasts of No Nation is getting a limited theatrical release,

Secondly the movie was not really produced by Netflix in the same way as something like House of Cards. Netflix payed 12 million dollars for the rights for the already finished film.

Demise

I can understand it's cool to see some people you don't know and share a good moment with everyone, but there's always trash people that fuck the experience (speak loud, hit your seat every three seconds, cough every 10 seconds, take call and everything...)

Yeah, they use the worst kind of price gouging. I can't imagine going to a movie without my girlfriend's purse full of snacks and drinks, cause buying anything there is like robbery. Also, feel kinda gross walking outta there with sticky shoes.

You need to explain that Beast with no nation thing again. Why are theaters getting no profit from it?
Major Theater Chains to Boycott Netflix’s ‘Beasts of No Nation’
The country’s four largest exhibitors — AMC, Regal, Cinemark and Carmike — separately told Variety that they do not plan to show the drama about child soldiers in Africa because they do not want to provide screens to films that do not honor what is typically a 90-day delay between a theatrical debut and a home entertainment release.

In a release touting the deal, Netflix said the picture will have a qualifying run for Oscar consideration in “select theaters” later this year — language that seemed to acknowledge that “Beasts of No Nation” will have trouble securing a berth in many theaters. After all, there’s a precedent. When Netflix announced last fall that it will partner with the Weinstein Company and Imax on a sequel to “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” most exhibitors refused to show the film.
They wont get profits because the movie is out on BluRay/Streaming, etc. Technically they will make money, but I doubt it will be enough to offset their costs.

Blader

A great theater experience is still better than anything at home... but a great theater experience is becoming so rare nowadays. And for me, has nothing to do with the price (though it is absurd; $65 for 3 IMAX tickets to The Walk?!), or digital projection, and everything to do with the fucking horrible crowds. There's always a problem person in every theater, whether it's being on their phone, talking too fucking loud and often, or getting drunk in the seat behind me.

When you have a crowd that's completely into the movie and feeling everything you are, it's an amazing experience that can actually elevate the movie you're watching. But crowds largely fucking suck so much.

majik13

A man, now I feel bad I missed the free theater screening of Beast of No Nation last night at my work, with the director and star. Hadn't watched the trailer till now.

ApharmdX

Banned
Nothing can beat a great audiovisual experience in a good cinema. I think they'll stay around just for that.

The visual part, you can beat at home. Most quality flat panels at home, when set up properly, will have better contrast and black levels than you get at the theater. The audio part, no, that's hard to duplicate.

I will go see the big Hollywood blockbusters in the theater, because the experience is better from an audio standpoint. Like I saw Mad Max: Fury Road in the theater, twice, and watched it at home once. I'd have lost something if I just watched it at home.

I have yet to sit even in the most lavish of home theaters that comes close to the experience of a movie theater. And I've been in some humdingers. Nothing compares to the experience of going to see a movie in the theater to me. It's an event you're sharing with a group of people, no different than going to a concert. You're immersed in the world of the film with the impressive array of speakers, projection and seating. Also the smells, theatrical presentation and decoration adds a lot.

For me the big drawback isn't ticket pricing. It's the other theater-goers. The quality of the patrons is getting worse and worse. They're always on their phones, talking to each other or generally only mildly interested. To a lot of them, I would guess it is just like a big TV in a room. They incessantly check their phones, which lights up the entire region of seating. It's a shame.

I find it astonishing that so many people claim to have constant issues with crowds at movie theaters.

I can't even remember the last time I encountered a truly disruptive fellow moviegoer at a multiplex. I can't even remember the last time someone's phone went off during a movie.

And I go to the movies quite a lot.

The group experience is what makes it for me as well; I guess I'm also lucky to not have to deal with annoying moviegoers as well because all my recent theater experiences have been just peachy.

There is just so much content to watch these days. I don't feel I really need to see them at the theater anymore. I dont feel the need to be 'at the cutting edge' like when I was a teenager or a young adult. Stuff can wait. I just catch stuff on VOD or netflix these days. I can watch whenever I want, with who I want, and eat my own food.

garath

Movie theaters offer an unparalleled movie watching experience. And a lot of them are actually adapting, adding new comfy chairs, digital projection on all screens and high quality imax. Even my budget theater next to me is putting in new reclining chairs.

The cost is the only thing about it that is becoming unbearable imo. 15+ dollars for a single showing is really tough to swallow. Makes me only go see the top releases where I used to see a LOT in the theater.

An-Det

Theaters are definitely in a weird position, but as a whole they're not going anywhere. I go once or twice a week and see most new releases, but if I didn't subscribe to Moviepass with all my nearby theaters supporting it I would go pretty rarely. It helps that I don't buy food there or sneak anything in (it would get expensive fast with how many movies I see).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom