• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what's your opinion on DDP Yoga?

GreyHorace

When I first read that former wrestler Diamond Dallas Page started his own Yoga series, I thought, "Okay. Former WWE star got his own gig after his career ended. Cool."

Then I saw he helped with the rehab of other former wrestlers who've fallen on hard times. Like Jake the Snake Roberts and Scott Hall. I then thought, "Wow. Helping his fellow wrestlers deal with their physical hardships. Standup guy."

Then I started seeing these videos online of all the benefits his yoga program has been giving to ordinary folks. Such as this guy:

Here's Joe Rogan's interview with DDP where they talk about the guy in the above video.

I started wondering then, there must be something to DDP's Yoga program that could really benefit me. Some disclosure, I'm a guy nearing middle age who's a bit overweight. Thankfully I haven't had any major health issues in the last few years but still I don't get much in way of exercise. I do walk to work everyday which probably averts from getting too fat, but I realize I need to lose some of it and get fit at some point. Work prevents me from going to a gym so I thought maybe there's a workout I can do at home. I then thought of DDP Yoga.

So what's GAF's opinion on it? Is it really effective as what is shown in the videos above? I'm thinking of ordering the DVD box set but does anyone think I need an instructor for this? Would like to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

Greedings

Probably about as effective as any type of exercise combined with a diet.
Maybe the slow and static movements are better for people with injuries or conditions, instead of more intense things like running or weightlifting. I doubt it’s magic though.

GreyHorace

Probably about as effective as any type of exercise combined with a diet.
Maybe the slow and static movements are better for people with injuries or conditions, instead of more intense things like running or weightlifting. I doubt it’s magic though.
Don't need a magic remedy. I just need a good exercise program that I can do at home that can be effective.

Greedings

Don't need a magic remedy. I just need a good exercise program that I can do at home that can be effective.

Didn’t mean to imply that. Apologies. I just really hate these transformation things they show. For every person who transformed, there’s 100 who are still fat slobs. That person who turned their life around was going to do it no matter what. They had the motivation and had the drive, the particular brand of celebrity exercise they chose is essentially irrelevant.

I think paying someone to teach you how to exercise is outrageous. Exercise is the most natural thing in the world, we all know how to do it, it’s just motivation that’s hard.
Go for a run, if you can’t, go walk. Ride a bike. Do some pushups. Most importantly, eat less.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DDP yoga is suited for people with injuries and other prohibitive factors to getting started on a typical exercise routine. It's low impact and incremental. For what it is, it looks like a good program. Really depends on what your starting point is and where you're looking to go. If you're just sedentary and moderately overweight, something more conventional may be better for you, but it's all about what motivates you to get to the finish line.

Dthomp

It's decent, me and my wife bought it years ago and used it off and on. It's really like most other DVD/Yoga/Workout videos however, and after a dozen watches you'll do it muted to avoid the cringey audio from DDP. If you are interested in Yoga with a bit more exercise involved it's not bad. I also had the DVDs before they did anything newer so I just got sick of swapping DVDs. The stories of people who stuck with it speak for themselves. In all honesty, any exercise is good.

GreyHorace

DDP yoga is suited for people with injuries and other prohibitive factors to getting started on a typical exercise routine. It's low impact and incremental. For what it is, it looks like a good program. Really depends on what your starting point is and where you're looking to go. If you're just sedentary and moderately overweight, something more conventional may be better for you, but it's all about what motivates you to get to the finish line.
Well I'm not suffering from any major injury or any other physical ailment currently. So I guess my question is whether DDP Yoga is something I can do everyday that will help me lose weight and help with my flexibility (seriously, I'm stiff as a board. Can't even touch my toes without bending my knees).

Thank you for the reply EviLore.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well I'm not suffering from any major injury or any other physical ailment currently. So I guess my question is whether DDP Yoga is something I can do everyday that will help me lose weight and help with my flexibility (seriously, I'm stiff as a board. Can't even touch my toes without bending my knees).

Thank you for the reply EviLore.

If you have flexibility issues, yoga will help. It can also be helpful to take some classes at a yoga studio, at least to get started. The feedback from an attentive instructor can be valuable for correcting your positions and telling you when to use alternative poses. After you're confident in the basics it's not a big deal to do it on your own at home.

Keep in mind the quality of classes will vary a lot from place to place. I'll only go somewhere that focuses on practical fitness without any new age mysticism, but it's possible to find those spots in a decent sized city usually.

GreyHorace

If you have flexibility issues, yoga will help. It can also be helpful to take some classes at a yoga studio, at least to get started. The feedback from an attentive instructor can be valuable for correcting your positions and telling you when to use alternative poses. After you're confident in the basics it's not a big deal to do it on your own at home.

Keep in mind the quality of classes will vary a lot from place to place. I'll only go somewhere that focuses on practical fitness without any new age mysticism, but it's possible to find those spots in a decent sized city usually.
Yeah, that's what I expected. I've never done Yoga before and that's why I think an instructor is necessary in order to do it correctly. I don't want to be wasting my time engaged in a physical act repeatedly only for someone to point out later that I've been doing it all wrong.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Cracklox

I haven't tried it so no input there, but seeing it basically save the lives of Scott and Jake, two of my favorite wrestlers growing up, I'll always have immense respect for both DDP and the program.

The world could use more people like DDP too tbh

Riven326

Banned
I might try it soon. Over the past couple years, I lost weight. I went from 260 to 180. Outdoor job, lots of physical work. It's been good. But about a month ago I hurt my back pretty bad. I was leaning to one side for a few weeks and had to do some recommended chiropractic stretches to get back to normal.

I'm doing better on that front, but I still have pain on the right side. Might be a pinched nerve. Could even be a tight muscle. Not sure, can't take time off from work. Need the money, you know how it is. Anyway, I figure this DDP Yoga routine might help me out some.

Nymphae

Banned

The Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise Plans are two exercise plans developed for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) by Dr. Bill Orban in the late 1950s, first published in 1961.[1] The 5BX plan (Five Basic Exercises) was developed for men; a corresponding program was developed for women under the name XBX (Ten Basic Exercises) and the two plans were subsequently published together as one book. The popularity of the programs in many countries around the world helped to launch modern fitness culture.[2][3][4]

Simple exercises, only 5 different ones that require no equipment, for only a total of 11 minutes a day. You progress through the 5 charts of exercises at the rate listed for your age. It's always the same 5 things you do but they slowly ramp up the effort required for each of the exercises, until you reach the chart listed for your age group, and then you maintain that level of fitness you've worked to by simply doing the routine 3 times a week after that I think.

I don't think it gets much simpler and effective than this, give it a look, it starts out at a level so ridiculously easy you'll be wondering if you're reading the chart right lol.

Last edited:

Duellist

It's great, I used it along with diet to go from 235lbs to 185. Then added in weights to go to 165. Gained lots of flexibility and got my core rock solid. Going to be starting it again soon as I've been lazy and gained lots of my weight back. Recommended!

Last edited:

bronk

Banned

You are definitely right about going to one that focuses on practical fitness. I've went to a few and man oh man some feel like a damn cult. Im just here to stretch/workout for an hour.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Didn’t mean to imply that. Apologies. I just really hate these transformation things they show. For every person who transformed, there’s 100 who are still fat slobs. That person who turned their life around was going to do it no matter what. They had the motivation and had the drive, the particular brand of celebrity exercise they chose is essentially irrelevant.

I think paying someone to teach you how to exercise is outrageous. Exercise is the most natural thing in the world, we all know how to do it, it’s just motivation that’s hard.
Go for a run, if you can’t, go walk. Ride a bike. Do some pushups. Most importantly, eat less.
Based.

Tesseract

Banned
sometimes getting motivated takes the right person (people) to get you going, building momentum by yourself isn't easy

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I tried it. Its not bad and DDP is a ton of fun. Also he renames the moves, and it helps if you are an old wrestling fan.

I didn't really find it that amazing or effective and you could probably find a better work out. I enjoyed doing it and it wasn't always easy but its not the most intense thing out there and you would be better served doing some running and some light gym stuff.

But if you want to get into Yoga then its a good fun program with someone who has a ton of energy that comes through the screen. Its just not a mircale worker nor do I think you will become swole from doing it.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
DDP is a cool friendly guy. Always wanted a wrassler autograph and I got one from him. Glad he helped out Jake the Snake and Razor because they needed it.

Undertakers wife would like a word about that, DDP was stalking her damn it.

Wrestling is REAL....
and that's a good thing!
Wk7VJPs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yoga, stretching etc. is effective, multiple injuries prevented due to doing them, yes it can be fun.

Top Bottom