• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepro (August 2004) -- ToS review + more..

king zell

thanx to nintendospy @ IGN

Tales of Symphonia was reviewed, here are the scores:

Graphics:4.5
Sound:4.5
Control:4.5
Fun Factor:4.5

Some quotes from the review:

"The writing is among the best in the console RPG business"

"the graphics are awesome, cel-shaded, and fluid with well designed interior architecture, beautifully animated creatures with cool designs, and some neat looking spell effects."

"The overworld looks like it was torn out of an N64 game"

"Stay for the story, characters, and sights of Symphonia... but be wary of the action-heavy, automated battle system"

Also, the game out a few Best of E3 awards, Zelda got best trailer. There was also a list of the top 20 "Showstoppers" of E3, here are the Cube games:

2)Resident Evil 4
11)Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
13)Pikmin 2
17)Paper Mario 2

Also, Star Fox got a mention for Most Improved.

What was their #1 game from the show, Half-Life 2?

It was a tie between the DS and the PSP, the first game chosen was RE4. It was list of the top 20 "Showstoppers"

king zell said:
Famitsu CUBE
Tales of Symphonia (GC, Namco) - 9 / 8 / 10 / 10 - (37 / 40)

Famitsu
Tales of Symphonia (GC, Namco) - 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 - (34/40)

Dorimaga
Tales of Symphonia (GC, Namco) - 8 / 8 / 7 / 9 / 8 - Total 8.0

Dengeki
Tales of Symphonia (GC, Namco) - 9 / 10 / 10 / 9 - (38/40)

GameInformer
Tales of Symphonia (GC, Namco) - 8.75 / 8.5

EGM
Tales of Symphonia (GC, Namco) - 8.5 / 8.5 / 7.5

Gamepro
Tales of Symphonia (GC, Namco) - 4.5 out of 5

"The overworld looks like it was torn out of an N64 game"

Next person to use this phrase should be forced to play nothing but N64 games for the rest of the year so that they can remember what last-gen graphics actually look like. Christ.

ge-man

Traumahound said:
Next person to use this phrase should be forced to play nothing but N64 games for the rest of the year so that they can remember what last-gen graphics actually look like. Christ.

While I haven't played the ToS import, I agree that his is a comment that deserves to die, even if it does apply to some games. It has been abused far too often in situations where it's cleary a huge ass lie or exaggeration.

Bebpo

Banned
"The writing is among the best in the console RPG business"

"Stay for the story, characters, and sights of Symphonia... but be wary of the action-heavy, automated battle system"

Kinda funny considering all the other reviews were saying the story is "cookie-cutter" and so are the characters yet Gamepro seems to think it's the best part of the game :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Having played ToD2jpn PS2 through, I would easilly argue its overworld to be sub-N64 quality. Hell aside from the high resolution it was running at, it would be snickered at on the PSX! (Yes Eternia had a better looking overworld) Some of the most embarrassing 3D modelling to be conceived.

Traumahound said:
Hahaha...I had to convince one of my fellow editors to change a comment he made about La Pucelle having SNES graphics. That went a bit too far for me.

AssMan

Banned
why would u want that ?

Because the game looks better: New fighting moves (finally), better looking auras, rpg mode to build up characters in different areas, new story mode, and over 40 characters.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Meh, I take game length from developers/reviewers with a grain of salt

Wario64's formula to determine game length (first run through): Developer's estimated time / 2 (or 3 in some cases)

Top Bottom