• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot - Star Wars Outlaws Feels Mediocre With A Protagonist Who's Way Too Strong đź’Ş (Mary Sue Alert)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Star-Wars-Outlaws-Details.jpg

I’m more shocked than anyone that Star Wars Outlaws didn't resonate with me. I love Star Wars, and have been hoping to get a new game in which we don't play as yet another Force-sensitive person. But after playing through three different sections of Outlaws at Summer Game Fest--each of which was about 15-20 minutes long--I walked away disappointed. Nothing about Outlaws feels bad; hell, bad would have been better than what I played, because then at least it could have been memorable in some way. Instead, Outlaws feels fairly mediocre and unmemorable. What I played feels like an amalgamation of different features and mechanics borrowed from other games that do those things better, all while masquerading as a Star Wars game without actually embodying the themes and storylines of Star Wars.

Taking place between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Outlaws sees you play as Kay Vess, a smuggler striving to be a famed scoundrel by accomplishing heists throughout the Outer Rim. Though I didn't get to see these elements, Outlaws will feature instances where Kay can talk her way out of trouble and the game will feature a system akin to Grand Theft Auto's Wanted levels, in which Kay's actions have consequences that can chase her across the open worlds she'll be able to explore.
At SGF, I played in three contained, linear levels. The first saw Kay working her way through an Imperial facility before leaping into her ship and engaging in a dogfight against some TIE Fighters. The second part focused on the game's platforming mechanics, with Kay navigating a derelict ship. The third and final portion of the preview presented a level in which Kay was tasked with stealthily infiltrating an organization's base to steal back some stolen tech.

I have individual complaints with each of the sections but my main gripe with Star Wars Outlaws, based on this slice of the game, is that Kay feels way too powerful. It's possible Ubisoft put me on the easiest difficulty for the preview to make sure I'd get through each one in a timely manner, but if that's not the case then Outlaws is laughably easy. The ease of the third part of the preview feels the most damning. I wanted to see what would happen if I broke stealth, inciting the dozen nearby enemies in the immediate area to attack me all at once. I easily killed them all and subsequently completed the first part of my mission without having to sneak around. With this newfound confidence, I ran through the second half of the level, forgoing stealth entirely.

I eventually reached a locked door that I couldn't go through until all the enemies who had seen me were dead. I was far enough away that I couldn't quite see the enemies all the way back at the start of the area but my cursor occasionally changed from gray to red whenever the game registered that Kay was "aiming" at them, even if I could no longer see them. I just held the trigger whenever that happened and sniped the guards without even having to aim myself.

No Caption Provided

Kay's apparent invulnerability and god-like powers persisted throughout the demo, whether it was surviving three-story drops in the platforming sections or getting into a firefight and tanking multiple hits. Aside from simply feeling dull to play, this actively gets in the way of Kay's characterization as a scrappy scoundrel and smuggler. If anything, playing as Kay should feel more like how Han Solo accomplished problems in the original Star Wars trilogy--you take your shot when you can but you're far better off running away when the blaster bolts start flying. Even if Kay has no apparent Force powers (it's entirely possible we discover she does in the full game), Outlaws seems to be designed in a way to encourage you to play like she actually does--she can easily perform huge acrobatic leaps, make pinpoint shots without a sniper rifle, and take on hordes of enemies like they're nothing.

Kay's strength also detracts from one of the core pillars of Outlaws, which is Kay's adorable partner-in-crime Nix. Nix can be commanded to aid Kay in a number of ways, such as distracting guards, fetching an out-of-reach weapon, or exploding a grenade in a person's pocket. Causing someone who's just minding their own business to suddenly explode is hilarious, but I never felt like I needed to use that command, or any of the others, in order to accomplish my goals. Kay is so versatile and able on her own, I never actually used Nix save for a few moments when the Ubisoft rep beside me told me how I could use Nix to solve the problem at hand and I did so to see how it would play out. I left the preview wondering why Nix is even a part of the game.

No Caption Provided

My misgivings about Outlaws' lack of challenge aside, what I saw of the minute-to-minute gameplay also isn't all that remarkable. Kay handles a blaster just about as well as any other third-person shooter protagonist, and much like her peers in the action genre, she is regularly stymied by locked doors that can only be bypassed with annoying lockpicking minigames or finding an energy pylon to energize with an electrified shot. Again, none of what I played feels outright bad but it is very familiar and none of it stands out as notably good as a result--it doesn't help that a lot of what Outlaws does, Star Wars games that have come out in recent years have done much better. The shooting is fine but pales in comparison to Battlefront II, for example. The ship combat is unremarkable, especially on the heels of Squadrons. And the platforming challenges and puzzles feel like unimaginative speed bumps that don't take into account the same level of spectacle or narrative importance as those in Fallen Order or Survivor.

I also didn't get a strong impression of Kay or any of the characters she met during the three sections I played. Perhaps Ubisoft is going for more of a blank slate for Kay to make her easier to connect to for more people, but even so, Star Wars lives and dies by its characters and it's difficult to feel excited for Outlaws when I played the game for nearly an hour and didn't really relate to anyone. It's an odd miss for Ubisoft, which usually develops games that are hit-or-miss for a lot of people but--at least for the story-driven ones--tend to have a handful of fairly memorable characters. Granted, Outlaws still could. But the sections I played through don't suggest that to be the case.

The aspect of my time with Star Wars Outlaws that stands out to me the most is just how much my preview experience reminded me of previewing 2022's Saints Row, a game that paints over half-baked systems and average storytelling with the trappings of a franchise I love. Outlaws so far feels exactly the same, using the imagery and sounds of Star Wars to disguise an otherwise mediocre game. Maybe the full release of Outlaws will surprise me in a way the full release of Saints Row didn't, but I have serious misgivings about Outlaws that I didn't have prior to playing it. The full game could be fantastic, but if so, this preview didn't sell me on it.

As one final addendum, what I played at Summer Game Fest did not look anything at all like what was shown off during Ubisoft Forward--that gameplay seems way more exciting and appropriate for a Star Wars game about a smuggler struggling to survive during the height of the Galactic Empire. That gameplay showcase dives into how Kay can use her scrappiness to learn new skills that will aid her in a pinch while still highlighting her shortcomings as an easily overwhelmed flesh-and-blood human who is better off fleeing from a dangerous situation than sticking around. If Outlaws plays more like what we saw at Ubisoft Forward and less like what I actually got to play at SGF, I think it will prove to be an entertaining Star Wars game. Only time will tell which experience we're going to get, though.

fuck you women wrestling GIF by THE WRESTLERS

Frustrated World Cup GIF

semiconscious

Gold Member
What I played feels like an amalgamation of different features and mechanics borrowed from other games that do those things better, all while masquerading as a Star Wars game without actually embodying the themes and storylines of Star Wars...
this is what i was expecting, &, not being much of a star wars fan (& only of the original trilogy), i admit i'm perfectly fine with it. i'm just into an open-world time killer, & i've enjoyed massive's work...

I have individual complaints with each of the sections but my main gripe with Star Wars Outlaws, based on this slice of the game, is that Kay feels way too powerful. It's possible Ubisoft put me on the easiest difficulty for the preview to make sure I'd get through each one in a timely manner, but if that's not the case then Outlaws is laughably easy. The ease of the third part of the preview feels the most damning. I wanted to see what would happen if I broke stealth, inciting the dozen nearby enemies in the immediate area to attack me all at once. I easily killed them all and subsequently completed the first part of my mission without having to sneak around. With this newfound confidence, I ran through the second half of the level, forgoing stealth entirely...
is there a reason the guy didn't ask about the difficulty? because, until being explicitly told what the difficulty was, i feel that it's kinda irresponsible describing it as 'my main gripe'. hell, what if it turns out that your 'main gripe' was simply playing on easy?...

also, note to op: copying/pasting someone else's work is stealing, dude. excerpting's fine, but copying an entire article? not cool...

i mean, it's not like you're chatgpt or something...

CamHostage

is there a reason the guy didn't ask about the difficulty? because, until being explicitly told what the difficulty was, i feel that it's kinda irresponsible describing it as 'my main gripe'. hell, what if it turns out that your 'main gripe' was simply playing on easy?...

I'm confused on that too. We do know that there are a number of difficulty settings in Star Wars Outlaws, but most seem to be for accessibility tuning to bring down frustrations, rather than piling on challenge; I don't think we know yet what it does if you want the game to honestly test your skills?

Personally, I find most of these types of hero action shooters to be really loose in "challenge", that they can rarely add enough mechanics to vary the game and are too hung up in the cinematic action and "brutal combat" to be thrilling as "games". They're "interactive experiences" in a natural world, with puzzles and navigation challenges and fun visual setpieces splashed about plus some general combat systems like punching or shooting added for familiarity of those seeking what they consider action, but by their very nature they struggle to have distinct challenges where mastery of technique rewards players. You can make enemies spongier to bullets, you can make a hero die easier from damage, but you have to do more than just what's normal if you want challenging gameplay. (Usually quicker kill rates just make a game more frustrating, not fun.) I'm not a total fan of Vanquish, but you can look at that and go, Oh right, these games could have some flavor to them if the heroes ever realized they were in a videogame!

uhh sweaty it’s 2024, women can never be too powerful

Uh, sweatshirt, I think the word you're looking for is "sweetie" or "sweety".

And crank about whatnot if you will, but what's going on here is not really because it's a female character. This is just what happens when action is designed around setpiece settings and thrill-the-fans cinematic events rather than mechanics and challenge. This character can do everything imaginable at the push of a context-sensitive button; a game needs shades of techniques or limitations on capabilities, it needs failure conditions and rewards on skill or tactics. From the previews, none of this was evident (or active on that difficulty level,) which you get in a game rushed for visual and cinematic value and bulletpoint design without the fundamentals of gameplay built in. (Swarms of enemies at various intensity levels in graduated failure states, for example, reads great on a fact sheet, but if all the enemies can be easily dispatched with bog-standard gunplay, the feature doesn't feature.) That goes for whatever character or franchise you use. She doesn't have "Mary Sue" powers; she does nothing special or exemplary (aside from having Nix go grab guns.) It's just that the game has not developed (or not shown it to have been integrated) anything to confound those basic hero actions.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I mean...that literally just sounds like most games.

Was she suppose to be weak? I mean, what would be the point to limit what the character can do? How the fuck would that be appealing?

I'm sorry man, this shit sounds so fucking fake and forced its not even funny. One might as well copy and paste this shit about any damn game. Be like "way too strong, Kratos literally killed a god, like WTF, TOO STRONG 0/10" lol

Of all the things to complain about, this simply isn't it. This isn't a souls game, this IP isn't even know for any of that and the general idea of what they are going for is an action game with light comedy ala Star Wars vibes. I don't think anything even remotely suggested that this was suppose to be some hard title or something or hardcore simulation. Her fighting hordes of enemies is expected in a fake game about Star Wars, a fictional thing...

That is like crying that in a James Bond game, 1 punch knock a dude out lol (Yea....like in the films and stuff, craaaazzzzy right?)

Still a day 1. I don't even know if I'll even bother with other modes, hardmode is fun and all, but I just want to go thru it the first time for fun and to hear the story and if the game moves me enough, I might do a hardmode run like after or something, but I just don't like this IP enough to act as if it MUUUUUST be this souls thing, what I like from the IP is simply the atmosphere, story, core concepts and this game seems to be hitting all of those well enough for me.

ByWatterson

I was really digging it until I saw gameplay sections like this. Popular media has created this absurd idea that a girl can curbstomp a man twice her size and strength with just training and technique - and maybe, possible!

But some random outlaw chick bodying trained soldiers 11 years after TLOU Joel had to use Old-Man-Strength to straight-up strangle dudes?

Yeah, no. Breaks the illusion. Shame, as the rest of the game looks pretty great to me.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I was really digging it until I saw gameplay sections like this. Popular media has created this absurd idea that a girl can just curbstomp a man twice her size and strength just with training and technique - and maybe, possible!

But some random outlaw chick bodying trained soldiers 11 years after TLOU Joel had to use Old-Man-Strength to straight-up strangle dudes?

Yeah, no. Breaks the illusion. Shame, as the rest of the game looks pretty great to me.

There is a reason why Lara Croft used guns and acrobatics in the original games.

Sadly you can’t suggest such things without appearing as “sexist” in most companies these days.

Last edited:

Doom85

It's possible Ubisoft put me on the easiest difficulty for the preview to make sure I'd get through each one in a timely manner, but if that's not the case then Outlaws is laughably easy.

Justin Timberlake What GIF

So the author decided to base half the article’s title on an assumption? Despite having the Ubisoft rep STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THEM and could have easily asked, “hey, what difficulty and accessibility settings did you put this on?”

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

I almost suspect they thought to ask the rep, but knew that would kill an angle for the clickbait.….

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Hopefully it is not as easy as described otherwise it makes so many mechanics pointless. Quite common in AAA games to have mechanics which are just for the spectacle, but not really required to go through the game.

Playing a Star Wars game without being a Jedi is boring as sin. Who ever thought this would be appealing?

The Jedi-Sith conflict is so central to the overarching Star Wars mythos. Playing as a random smuggler in the same universe just feels like an utter waste of the IP.

It's like making a Dragonball Z game, but instead of playing a Saiyan, they force you to play as Krillen... Like, who wants to play that?

WoJ

I'm personally not interested in this game, but the more I read of what games "journalists" put out trying to talk about games, the more I think "do these people even like video games"? They're all such miserable twats who want to act like they are some deep philosophical thinkers who can "deconstruct the meaning behind what the stealth really means in a video game". And I'm not even talking about the activist nonsense that exists.

Seriously, it's a fucking video game. Try and have fun twats and stop smelling your own farts and taking yourselves too seriously.

skneogaf

Why make it with a new unknown character that absolutely nobody cares about!

I have zero interest in this and I love star wars.

Last edited:

consoul

Show demos are sometimes tuned to be easy or even impossible to fail. That difficulty may not represent the final game.

With that said, still sounds bad.

coffinbirth

I'm confused on that too. We do know that there are a number of difficulty settings in Star Wars Outlaws, but most seem to be for accessibility tuning to bring down frustrations, rather than piling on challenge; I don't think we know yet what it does if you want the game to honestly test your skills?

Personally, I find most of these types of hero action shooters to be really loose in "challenge", that they can rarely add enough mechanics to vary the game and are too hung up in the cinematic action and "brutal combat" to be thrilling as "games". They're "interactive experiences" in a natural world, with puzzles and navigation challenges and fun visual setpieces splashed about plus some general combat systems like punching or shooting added for familiarity of those seeking what they consider action, but by their very nature they struggle to have distinct challenges where mastery of technique rewards players. You can make enemies spongier to bullets, you can make a hero die easier from damage, but you have to do more than just what's normal if you want challenging gameplay. (Usually quicker kill rates just make a game more frustrating, not fun.) I'm not a total fan of Vanquish, but you can look at that and go, Oh right, these games could have some flavor to them if the heroes ever realized they were in a videogame!

Uh, sweatshirt, I think the word you're looking for is "sweetie" or "sweety".

And crank about whatnot if you will, but what's going on here is not really because it's a female character. This is just what happens when action is designed around setpiece settings and thrill-the-fans cinematic events rather than mechanics and challenge. This character can do everything imaginable at the push of a context-sensitive button; a game needs shades of techniques or limitations on capabilities, it needs failure conditions and rewards on skill or tactics. From the previews, none of this was evident (or active on that difficulty level,) which you get in a game rushed for visual and cinematic value and bulletpoint design without the fundamentals of gameplay built in. (Swarms of enemies at various intensity levels in graduated failure states, for example, reads great on a fact sheet, but if all the enemies can be easily dispatched with bog-standard gunplay, the feature doesn't feature.) That goes for whatever character or franchise you use. She doesn't have "Mary Sue" powers; she does nothing special or exemplary (aside from having Nix go grab guns.) It's just that the game has not developed (or not shown it to have been integrated) anything to confound those basic hero actions.
Avatar, which uses this same engine, also lets you adjust incoming as well as outgoing damage. Doesn't necessarily mean Outlaws would have it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sounds fitting for Star Wars. Guess people suddenly agree with teh gamez journ0listz though?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Justin Timberlake What GIF

So the author decided to base half the article’s title on an assumption? Despite having the Ubisoft rep STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THEM and could have easily asked, “hey, what difficulty and accessibility settings did you put this on?”

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

I almost suspect they thought to ask the rep, but knew that would kill an angle for the clickbait.….
This.

Its odd cause, they seemly made up their minds right then and there and instead of actually asking questions to have a solid preview of all the functions, they stay on 1 mode and cry about it later.

Why even fucking preview this?

Journalist theses days don't even seem to do the bare minimum of what that definition even means.

Top Bottom