• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC 2015: Game Developer Choice Award Nominees Revealed.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.gdconf.com/news/bayonetta_2_hearthstone_and_de.html

Game of the Year

Bayonetta 2 (Platinum Games/Nintendo)

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Monolith Productions/Warner Bros.)

Destiny (Bungie/Activision)

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard)

Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega)

Honorable Mentions: Titanfall (Respawn/Electronic Arts), Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Ubisoft Montpellier/Ubisoft), Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft), Dragon Age: Inquisition (BioWare/Electronic Arts), Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco/Nintendo)

Innovation Award

Bounden (Game Oven)

This War of Mine (11 bit studios)

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (The Astronauts)

Monument Valley (Ustwo)

Honorable Mentions: Crypt of the Necrodancer (Brace Yourself Games), Extrasolar (Lazy 8 Studios), Elite: Dangerous (Frontier Developments), Elegy For A Dead World (Dejobaan Games), 80 Days (Inkle Studios)

Best Debut

Yacht Club Games (Shovel Knight)

Respawn Entertainment (Titanfall)

The Astronauts (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter)

Stoic Studio (The Banner Saga)

Upper One Games (Never Alone)

Honorable Mentions: Dynamighty (CounterSpy), Hinterland Games (The Long Dark), 1337 & Senri (Leo's Fortune), MachineGames (Wolfenstein: The New Order), Hipster Whale (Crossy Road)

Best Design

Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games)

Dragon Age: Inquisition (BioWare/Electronic Arts)

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo EAD Tokyo and 1-Up Studio/Nintendo)

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard)

Honorable Mentions: Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo EAD Tokyo/Nintendo), Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega), Destiny (Bungie/Activision), Monument Valley (Ustwo), Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Best Handheld/Mobile Game

Threes! (Sirvo)

Super Smash Bros. 3DS (Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco/Nintendo)

Hearthstone (Blizzard)

80 Days (Inkle Studios)

Monument Valley (Ustwo)

Honorable Mentions: Bounden (Game Oven), Bravely Default (Silicon Studio and Square Enix/Nintendo and Square Enix), Desert Golfing (Blinkbat Games), Velocity 2X (FuturLab), Fantasy Life (Level-5/Nintendo)

Best Visual Art

Monument Valley (Ustwo)

Hohokum (Honeyslug and Richard Hogg/Sony)

Child of Light (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Honorable Mentions: Never Alone (Upper One Games/E-Line Media), The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (The Astronauts), Transistor (Supergiant Games), Broken Age: Act 1 (Double Fine Productions), Destiny (Bungie/Activision)

Best Narrative

80 Days (Inkle Studios)

This War of Mine (11 bit studios)

Kentucky Route Zero: Episode 3 (Cardboard Computer)

Honorable Mentions: Dragon Age: Inquisition (BioWare/Electronic Arts), Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Ubisoft Montpellier/Ubisoft), Tales From The Borderlands: Episode 1 (Gearbox Software/Telltale Games), D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (Access Games/Microsoft), Hatoful Boyfriend (Mediatonic/Devolver Digital)

Best Audio

Transistor (Supergiant Games)

Honorable Mentions: Child of Light (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft), Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft), D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (Access Games/Microsoft), Bayonetta 2 (Platinum Games/Nintendo), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Brace Yourself Games)

Best Technology

Wolfenstein: The New Order (MachineGames/Bethesda)

Elite: Dangerous (Frontier Developments)

Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Honorable Mentions: Assassin's Creed Unity (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft), The Last of Us: Remastered (Naughty Dog/Sony), Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac Games/Microsoft), Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega), Infamous: Second Son (Sucker Punch Productions/Sony)

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm very okay with Mordor winning awards left and right, but that game even being nominated in the category "Best Narrative" is ridiculous.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm very okay with Mordor winning awards left and right, but that game even being nominated in the category "Best Narrative" is ridiculous.
U839J7a.jpg

I agree. Best narrative how? ^ This is the most comical way i've seen romance done in a game in a long way.

Kayant

Best Technology

Wolfenstein: The New Order (MachineGames/Bethesda)

Elite: Dangerous (Frontier Developments)

Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Honorable Mentions: Assassin's Creed Unity (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft), The Last of Us: Remastered (Naughty Dog/Sony), Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac Games/Microsoft), Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega), Infamous: Second Son (Sucker Punch Productions/Sony)

Wat?? Over games like AS:U, SO, A:I, I:SS really...

TI82

Banned
Game of the year:

Hearthstone, love this game

Innovation:

Shadow of Mordor, clearly.

Best debut:

Yacht Club Games

Best design:

Hearthstone

Mobile game:

Hearthstone

Narrative:

No pick

Best audio:

Transistor

Best technology:

Shadow of Mordor

Alasfree

I agree. Best narrative how? ^ This is the most comical way i've seen romance done in a game in a long way.
They presented the tutorial like this exactly because is comical and ironic that in a game filled with stealth killing the tutorial is about a stealth kiss.
At least it's how i interpreted it.

Corgi

Banned
Pretty surprised bayonetta got nominated. Developers don't really often play niche stuff that aren't popular indie games. Did the first bayonetta do well at gdc awards?

Euron

This. It will probably sweep the awards, deservedly so, but why is it nominated for the category regarding its biggest criticism? That's like nominating Mass Effect 3 for Best Ending.

Also, WTF at Destiny being nominated for GOTY and not Dragon Age or Smash?

Does Hatoful boyfriend actually have a good story? If they were going for a VN type game they could have least put Danganronpa 2 or 1 on the list.

KorrZ

Destiny nominated for Game of the Year. What the fuck? Stop it people, we can't encourage these completely devoid of content releases.

Gaogaogao

I hope Alien isolation wins best audio and/ or art and Shovel knight for best debut

wish shovel knight was up for more categories cause it deserves to win everything.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They presented the tutorial like this exactly because is comical and ironic that in a game filled with stealth killing the tutorial is about a stealth kiss.
At least it's how i interpreted it.
I think it's unintentional comedy. Also Infamous SS and ACUnity not being in the best tech category while Destiny and oddly enough Wolfenstein being there is something I just can't agree with as those games look great but I don't see how they're using the best overall tech.

Nzyme32

I'm also not getting the Destiny GOTY nomination, amongst a bunch of the others. Innovation award seems to have a good selection going though

Staf

Mordor for best innovation.

Mordor for best narrative.

jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif

Narrative i agree isn't really its strong suit and shouldn't really be nominated in that category. Best innovation however they should win. That nemesis system is so damn good with how it dynamically creates antagonists that are better than most games.

JNA

Banned
Mordor for best innovation.

Mordor for best narrative.

jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif

What's wrong with best innovation for Mordor? The nemesis system is definitely worthy of that. Narrative I agree with you though.

The one BS thing here though is Destiny for game of the year? I say that as a guy who played many hours of it but no way should it be anywhere near that award.

Those people are high for having that game over DA:I.

border

Interesting that Alien Isolation got a GOTY nomination.

Destiny nominated? Salty tears incoming. It's strange how well-loved the game is beyond this forum's walls.

strafer

Alien Isolation did something different and completely awesome yet the majority votes on the most generic game of all time.

Wonder who is all in ICAN.

Mordor's Nemesis system is worthy of innovation. Probably should win that category.
Isolation audio is another easy win.
Best tech, as much as people here will throw a fit, should probably go to Destiny.

Can't really speak of the rest. Looking at GOTY it's probably down to Bayonetta, Mordor, and Alien at a development angle rather than a hype/outreach one. Destiny doesn't bother me, but I think that the other 3 did more for the industry (Alien/Mordor) or just all around better games. Can't speak on the mobile Warcraft game.

Gaogaogao

best design --> shovel knight
best handheld --> shovel knight
best visual art --> shovel knight
best audio --> shovel knight
best technology --> shovel knight

shovel knight, you da real mvp

border

Best Visual Art is the most fiercely competitive category of them all. I wouldn't want to have to make that decision:

Best Visual Art

Monument Valley (Ustwo)
Child of Light (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm absolutely fine with Mordor winning 'Best Innovation'. They deserve all the credit in the world for the Nemesis system, and that will absolutely be a big deal in years to come.

But no way in hell does it deserve to win against Bayonetta 2 as Game of the Year

jett

D-Member
Narrative i agree isn't really its strong suit and shouldn't really be nominated in that category. Best innovation however they should win. That nemesis system is so damn good with how it dynamically creates antagonists that are better than most games.

What's wrong with best innovation for Mordor? The nemesis system is definitely worthy of that. Narrative I agree with you though.

The one BS thing here though is Destiny for game of the year? I say that as a guy who played many hours of it but no way should it be anywhere near that award.

Those people are high for having that game over DA:I.

One of its mechanics is innovative, but 95% of what you do in that game is lifted either from the AssCreed or from the Arkham games. And for me personally, the nemesis didn't make much of a difference.

Ridley327

Not really, either danganronpa game would have fit better.

The real reason is that danganronpa is niche as fuck.

And Hatoful Boyfriend is some mainstream sensation blowing down the doors of publishers that are now scrambling to get their own pigeon dating sims out in short order?

Top Bottom