• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 : Can’t play split-screen, game keeps saying “at least two players needed.”

Stafford

So I had my nephew over today and thought it would be great to play Gears of War 2 co-op, but sadly this ended in lots of frustration and eventually going back to Gears of War Ultimate Edition instead.

Something very weird is going on and I can’t get it to work. So I start the game and I go to co-op campaign. I choose split-screen campaign. I then get a message about how at least two players need to sign in to play split-screen. Makes sense.

With the second controller I press the guide button, choose add or switch and I log into another account (one that doesn’t have Gold or anything) but I still get the same message. I also tried it by adding a guest, but nope.

I Googled it and one piece of advice was to go to the main menu. Press Y on the second controller which brings up the 360 menu sign in thing. If I choose the same account as before I get a sidebar(not 360)asking who I am. If I choose that same account again, we still can’t play split-screen co-op. Another tip was to select “guest” in the 360 menu thingy, but then I get “Can’t sign in to Xbox Live. Please use a profile with a valid membership.”.

I’m lost. How can we play this game in split-screen co-op? Gears of War Ultimate Edition does work, but that’s a Xbox One game. It’s something to do with this being a 360 game, yet we CAN play Earth Defense Force.

I'm on a Xbox Series X, I have Game Pass Ultimate, although I am a secondary user since my sharing buddy really wanted to use cloud gaming.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Second controller/profile needs to be logged in to game at the main menu before you even select game modes.
Press i think its start on that controller and the game should now show both names/guest in the top right corner.

I replay Gears every year but only play Gears 3 split screen horde, so my login info might be off.....but im pretty sure thats the order.

Stafford

Second controller/profile needs to be logged in to game at the main menu before you even select game modes.
Press i think its start on that controller and the game should now show both names/guest in the top right corner.

I replay Gears every year but only play Gears 3 split screen horde, so my login info might be off.....but im pretty sure thats the order.

The game still doesn't recognise there are two players. But I just found the solution. I need to be on the dashboard, game not running. With my own or other controller add the second profile and then start the game, split-screen campaign works fine now. So this was it, sheesh. Next time my nephew is here it's Gears of War 2 time!

One other thing though, even though I did switch back to my own account before stating the game, the game sees the second account as the host. So my nephew will be Marcus and I will be Dom. That’s not a big problem, but any idea why this is the case?

Yeah, I always struggle with the "getting a friend" part of the 2-player co-op myself.

Sad All By Myself GIF by Travis

Top Bottom