• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War E-Day will bring back the Horror from the original games

Draugoth

Gold Member
Gears-of-War-6a0df6bfd97a2f850089.jpg

“For us, it’s like a what-if story,” he said. “What if the ground opened up and monsters came out? Yeah, it’s set on a fictional, other planet, but there are very human reactions and stories we get to tell. To do that, we need to be able to tell a story that feels like a horror story.”

Searcy continues, explaining that Gears of War: E-Day will still have the heart and sci-fi the series is known for, but it will also focus in on this specific moment in time by telling a story that takes place over only a few days. The decision to lean in more on horror comes from The Coalition’s desire to recapture the feeling of terror many players might remember experiencing when playing through the series.

“We looked back at what people felt like when they played Gears of War or any of the Gears – Gears 4 included,” he said. “But when people tell you what they remember playing, the things that stood out to them, the feelings, a lot of it is about these, kind of dark, almost horror-esque, scary moments.”

via IGN

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Never felt any sort of "terror" while playing these games. Not even close :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good luck with the jump scares and tension though

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The Boomer intro and the berserker intro were never matched in the preceding Gears games.
I hope they are recapturre that level of horror.
I liked the rift worm though.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The original game wasn't scary in the slightest

Now waiting for them to tell us it will be "boots on the ground" combat
It had some horror art design elements. More dark levels, jump scares, abandoned mansions. You navigated with lights on the tank to fight enemies or run between spotlights like Pitch Black. The Berserker is kind of a Mr. X.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Boomer intro and the berserker intro were never matched in the preceding Gears games.
I hope they are recapturre that level of horror.
I liked the rift worm though.

Berserker intro is good shit.
Act 3's opening chapter is also very atmospheric.

HL3.exe

The weird thing to me is that Marcus takes forever to kill one grubb in the trailer.

Actually an interesting idea if they foreshadow that individual grubbs have more self-preservation and fights our more scaled down that way, more tough fights.

... But that's never gonna happen.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

they mean this ad when they say Gears of War was horror like

I never felt the games themselves had the same mood though, but anyways this is the most interesting thing to come out from Gears of War since the trilogy concluded

Punished Miku

The weird thing to me is that Marcus takes forever to kill one grubb in the trailer.
This is going to show them literally emerging from the ground and slaughtering an unprepared human race that doesn't know what they are, or how to fight them. They're going to lose in this, over and over.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Actually an interesting idea if they foreshadow that individual grubbs have more self-preservation and fights our more scaled down that way, more tough fights.

... But that's never gonna happen.
This is far more realistic than the games. Locust grunts are huge and close to 7ft tall with a ton of muscle. They should have absolutely not trouble crushing even a really strong human. The only ones who might stand a chance in a physical fight would be someone like an heavyweight mma fighter or boxer.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Lets be honest, gears 1 had afew scary parts with the kryll and the first berserker fight but the game wasnt really that horror centric and coalition actually said this about gears 4 and theres 0 parts of it being scary, why cant they just say its a darker game because there is 0 horror especially in coop

Punished Miku

This is far more realistic than the games. Locust grunts are huge and close to 7ft tall with a ton of muscle. They should have absolutely not trouble crushing even a really strong human. The only ones who might stand a chance in a physical fight would be someone like an heavyweight mma fighters or boxer.
Or a pro football player :pie_thinking:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I think a lot of people are missing the point here.

They are not saying they are making a horror game, they are not saying Gears was a horror game. They are not saying Gears was "scary"... They are saying they are going back to the horror rooted ELEMENTS of the first few Gears games.. Horrible things, dark, brutal, dark tone... those are all elements of horror.

Kind of like how every Terminator Sequel after 2 fucking sucked.. Because they didnt understand what made the first 2 so fucking masterpiece were the elements of HORROR. They went all out sci-fi explosive action, and killed the franchise. Like Gears.

Go back to your ROOTS.

Linear.
Dark.
Horror elements.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Eh, I guess they mean the "horror of war" more than it being scary? I don't know but I never once felt horror in Gears. I felt like I was the man who was getting rid of hollow earth alien scum lol.

This is awesome news.

Gears 1 certainly did have some horror/thriller elements; the first time you encounter the Kryll, the first fight with the Beserker, level 2 at night in the rain and introduced to Wretches, etc.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean personally I thought Gears 5 was the most horrifying of the series so far.

I remember when it sank in who the main character was going to be for the rest of the game. I turned it off, uninstalled immediately, was truly horrifying, no way was I brave enough to slog through the rest of that shit.

Last edited:

Juza

This is the first game without Rod Fergusson, but it still sounds awesome and just what Gears fans have been wanting since the first one. It looks like Fergusson's leaving actually turned out to be a good thing for the franchise.

I just hope they don't screw it up.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Gears 1 was the only one that was remotely "scary".

Gore in gears has always looked funny more than disgusting, at least for me, i would love if they can scratch their gore tech and have a completely new one because if not, i'm honestly not sure if they can even get on par with ds remake gore, let alone di2.

SCB3

People are mistaking the word horror for Scary, thats not what Gears of War ever was, the "horror" comes from the fucking Ground opening up and a bunch of Monsters coming out, the art style and implications are the horror part

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Not on PC. Nothing confirmed for consoles yet.
I’ll be so pissed if it’s not 60 on XSX. My memory is that the original Gears games all ran at 60, but it turns out they mostly ran at 30. Now I’m worried.

Codes 208

Gold Member
I hate horror games. I never got the feeling that Gears had any sort of that.
The kryll sections, berserkers, mansion and underground levels definitely gave off a horror vibe

The game had frequent jumpscares and i still vividly remember the scene where you come across the room of mutilated bodies at the mine station.

Gears 1 definitely invoked that darker, resident evil-esque horror vibes. Gears 2 dropped a lot of that in favor of a more actiony storyline and gears 3 felt almost super hero-y in comparison to 1

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I’ll be so pissed if it’s not 60 on XSX. My memory is that the original Gears games all ran at 60, but it turns out they mostly ran at 30. Now I’m worried.

Probably gonna do 30 campaign 60 MP/Horde..
Or just get a decent PC.

But The Coalition have a proven track record of performance so they might have a performance mode for this on console.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Good. Fuck that colorful shit, ruined the franchise. The series became irrelevant the instant they went all colourful and open world. Trying to chase trends and cater to pussies

They’re still wearing that stupid looking armor from a ‘90s comic book.

skyfinch

The original game wasn't scary in the slightest

Now waiting for them to tell us it will be "boots on the ground" combat
I was definitely scared. But my uncle, (who is also named Dom) used to comfort me with home made sock puppets. "It's a giant worm!" he would make me say whenever the sock puppet would tickle my lower back.

Senua

Gold Member
Yup the first Gears definitely had horror elements, which were lost in subsequent entries. It's the main reason the first game has always been my favourite.

Every subsequent Gears became more standard action affair which was highlighted (literally) by the colour palette and brighter tone. Everything I'm hearing about this is awesome tbh

Last edited:
Top Bottom