• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good sci-fi and fantasy you've read in the past few years?

So this is meant to be a loosely-framed "what are you reading" plus "what do you recommend" thread for those sci-fi and fantasy book-readers among us. I searched GAF and it seems like several 'book club' threads have popped up and soon after died away. Maybe that's the fate of this thread, but I'd like to get some of your book recommendations while I'm at it. I suppose if we get enough responses, I can edit this post with a summary of your answers.

Anyway. It doesn't have to be from the past few years. I'm just looking for recommendations out of the books you've read recently. Many folks make recommendations based fondly on fuzzy memories of books they read 10 years ago. I'm guilty of this. I wanna know what you've read more recently because it tends to be a more genuine recommendation.

Good stuff I've read? Well, for fantasy I'm re-reading Gears of the City by Felix Gilman. It is the sequel to Thunderer. Very brain-bendy sort of fantasy, something in between the D&D idea of a "multiverse" and The Matrix. I'm eventually going to re-read all of his books. I think a sign of a great author is if their books are worth re-reading at least once.

After that I'm re-reading The Quantum Thief trilogy by Hannu Rajaniemi. Two of my friends are reading, too. The whole series blew me away so I'm excited to dive into it a second time. It's the coolest kind of cyberpunk I've ever read. It's seriously good stuff, right up there with Neuromancer, Snow Crash, and Philip K Dick's various cyberpunky writings.

Then Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice. I've heard strong recommendations for her trilogy from two friends now, so it's time that I dive in. Anyone have experience with this book?

Good sci-fi? Good fantasy? I'm eager to hear what's good.

finowns

I just finished The Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence it was pretty good.

I haven’t heard of the Quantum Thief I’ll check it out.

Last edited:

finowns

Nice. What'd you like about Prince of Fools?

Also, is it a standalone book or a part of a larger series?

It's book one of a trilogy.

I enjoyed the medieval setting, but actually a post-apocalypse that happened so long ago that people have forgotten about it.

And the main character minor noble Prince Jal a liar and coward who is magically bound to help a warrior journey to rescue his family.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I recently read the "Bobiverse" trilogy starting with We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E Taylor.

I really liked it, but I'll be the first to admit it was definitely the book version of a popcorn movie. The audiobook was also really well done and definitely worth checking out.

LordPezix

1Q84, has a lot of things pulling from different genres but still an amazing read. Takes patience and dedication though.

Best book I've read in 3 years

Papa

Banned
1Q84, has a lot of things pulling from different genres but still an amazing read. Takes patience and dedication though.

Best book I've read in 3 years

I couldn’t get past the bizarre segments where the cult leader is forcefully penetrating minors. Just wtf Murakami.

Codes 208

Gold Member
If game novels count, I actually enjoyed Halo Bad Blood. Basically starts where Halo 5 left off and is narrated by Buck (the story is focused on him reuiniting his old ODST team)

That aside, I've also read the novel version of fight club and Jurassic park. Both were pretty good.

LordPezix

I couldn’t get past the bizarre segments where the cult leader is forcefully penetrating minors. Just wtf Murakami.

Wow, I've actually never met anyone else who has read that book!

What I enjoyed most about it was just how different it was from the other books I've read. (1Q84 was my first Murakami novel). I found myself going back and forth searching for clues that tied things together to make sense of what in the actual fuck was going on in the book lol.

I will say this, I heavily considered being an ice pick assassin after that novel ;)

Papa

Banned
Wow, I've actually never met anyone else who has read that book!

What I enjoyed most about it was just how different it was from the other books I've read. (1Q84 was my first Murakami novel). I found myself going back and forth searching for clues that tied things together to make sense of what in the actual fuck was going on in the book lol.

I will say this, I heavily considered being an ice pick assassin after that novel ;)

I have a friend who is a bit of a lit nerd and he loves Murakami. 1Q84 was my first Murakami book too and I’m not sure I liked it overall. Some parts yes, others parts no. It was just weird. I read the Wind-up Bird Chronicle which was better but still transitioned into some weird sex stuff at the end. Best book I’ve read in a long time was the North Water by Ian McGuire. Gritty realism is more my flavour.

Kadayi

Banned
I recommend The Expanse Books. I got into them having watched the first season of the show. I think the authors do a pretty decent job of envisaging a not too distance future where humanity has colonised a fair amount of the solar system but hasn't reached beyond that. In particular what I like the most is the authors have kept matters grounded in a hard sci-fi manner, so it's less laser guns and light speed and more particle accelerators and high-G burns.

ilfait

I started out not liking the writing style at all, possibly caused by translation issues, but those issues faded away for me and by the end I loved it. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

LordPezix

I have a friend who is a bit of a lit nerd and he loves Murakami. 1Q84 was my first Murakami book too and I’m not sure I liked it overall. Some parts yes, others parts no. It was just weird. I read the Wind-up Bird Chronicle which was better but still transitioned into some weird sex stuff at the end. Best book I’ve read in a long time was the North Water by Ian McGuire. Gritty realism is more my flavour.

I believe this is in due part of the culture he is from.

Will check this out!

kischine

Nice, a book thread is all I needed to get back to reading. I'm currently at the seventh book of The Witcher series, started cause I want to play the games after the books, but man, I don't know if I should recommend it. The first 2 books are a compilation of stories, which is nice, but the third and beyond are just one story and sometimes it gets too boring. Baptism of Fire I think is the best one, Bonhart kinda gets things going in terms of action. I just want the Netflix adaptation to get to Bonhart, then it will be worth it. The story and characters are medium, nothing amazing to read.

Also Yennefer is a bitch in the books, I imagine in the game she is way better, cause in the books I don't think anyone can like her, she is just awful.

But yeah, if you are thinking on reading the Witcher books before the game, don't do it, wait for the series or just play the game.

I recommend The Expanse Books. I got into them having watched the first season of the show. I think the authors do a pretty decent job of envisaging a not too distance future where humanity has colonised a fair amount of the solar system but hasn't reached beyond that. In particular what I like the most is the authors have kept matters grounded in a hard sci-fi manner, so it's less laser guns and light speed and more particle accelerators and high-G burns.
I've heard good things about the show and the books. I'll have to check out the series. Thanks for the recommendation.

Kadayi

Banned
I've heard good things about the show and the books. I'll have to check out the series. Thanks for the recommendation.

The show is very good, but one has to give it some slack in that much like GRRM with Game of Thrones it's a lot easier to have hundreds of characters on a page versus making a series with hundreds of actors who need paying, and albeit the show's creators do their best to convey numbers, there are limits as to what they can do. The series authors are directly involved in the writing of the show though, so they do a good job of condensing characters and storylines.

It's historical fiction, not fantasy, but I've been listening to Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series since watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Foxes

An exceptionally skilled swordsman, young Tal Hawkins was the only survivor of the massacre of his village - rescued, recruited, and trained by the mysterious order of magicians and spies, the Conclave of Shadows. Now one of the secret society's most valuable agents, he gains entrance into the court named Duke of Olasko, the bloodthirsty and powerful despot whose armies put Tal's village to the sword, by posing as a nobleman from the distant Kingdom of the Isles.
41DJRZ1WYXL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and these books were amazing

51mt0AzWX5L._SY269_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Trilogy

Mara struggles to rule her family after her father and brother are killed in a trap by the Minwanabi, one of the most powerful families in the Empire and longtime enemies of the Acoma. Mara quickly learns how to play the Game of the Council with skill and challenges the binding traditions of her world.

Typhares

Unfortunately I haven't read much in these genre lately mostly focusing on manga and light novel but I will recommend what I read over the years:

The Farseer Trilogy
Novel by Robin Hobb

This is pretty much a must read in fantasy.
Followed by:
The Tawny Man Trilogy

Other Robin Hobb novels and trilogies fit in that universe and are pretty damn good.

The First Law

1 The Blade Itself
2 Before They Are Hanged
3 Last Argument of Kings

The Belgariad
  1. Pawn of Prophecy (1982)
  2. Queen of Sorcery (1982)
  3. Magician's Gambit (1983)
  4. Castle of Wizardry (1984)
  5. Enchanters' End Game (1984)

Followed by The malloreon
  1. Guardians of the West (ISBN 0-345-35266-1)
  2. King of the Murgos (ISBN 0-345-35880-5)
  3. Demon Lord of Karanda (ISBN 0-345-36331-0)
  4. Sorceress of Darshiva (ISBN 0-345-36935-1)
  5. The Seeress of Kell (ISBN 0-345-37759-1)

Mistborn Trilogy
1 Mistborn: The Final Empire
2 Mistborn: The Well of Ascension
3 Mistborn: The Hero of Ages

And I will also recommend the empire trilogy mentioned above By King of Foxes

Ah and a short novelette by R.R Martin:
Sandkings
A quick and fun read.

Undying Mercenaries series is great. If you want more political w genetics then the Dark Ship Thieves series is aight. Hell Divers series is also fantastic. Never forget Honor Harrington exists.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Nice, a book thread is all I needed to get back to reading. I'm currently at the seventh book of The Witcher series, started cause I want to play the games after the books, but man, I don't know if I should recommend it. The first 2 books are a compilation of stories, which is nice, but the third and beyond are just one story and sometimes it gets too boring. Baptism of Fire I think is the best one, Bonhart kinda gets things going in terms of action. I just want the Netflix adaptation to get to Bonhart, then it will be worth it. The story and characters are medium, nothing amazing to read.

Also Yennefer is a bitch in the books, I imagine in the game she is way better, cause in the books I don't think anyone can like her, she is just awful.

But yeah, if you are thinking on reading the Witcher books before the game, don't do it, wait for the series or just play the game.
I have neglected my reading for quite a while now, but just recently started The Witcher series of books. I’m into the 5th book atm (story order, not order of publication) and I agree, that they are not mind-blowing so far, but I am definitely enjoying them.

Reading them is giving me the urge to replay the games as I develop a better understanding of the characters, especially Ciri.

They are good books, just not LotR level high fantasy. But, what is? I really shouldn’t have expected that. I guess I probably expected a deep delving into the lore of the world, but instead the story chops and changes from one scene to another and from one time to another.

I’d still recommend them for any Witcher game fans.

kischine

I have neglected my reading for quite a while now, but just recently started The Witcher series of books. I’m into the 5th book atm (story order, not order of publication) and I agree, that they are not mind-blowing so far, but I am definitely enjoying them.

Reading them is giving me the urge to replay the games as I develop a better understanding of the characters, especially Ciri.

They are good books, just not LotR level high fantasy. But, what is? I really shouldn’t have expected that. I guess I probably expected a deep delving into the lore of the world, but instead the story chops and changes from one scene to another and from one time to another.

I’d still recommend them for any Witcher game fans.
Yeah, I'd recommend them to people who already played the games, but just don't go reading 7 books just to start a series of games you wanted to play. They are good books, maybe even a little bit above average, but not top fantasy best of the best.

The series will probably come in 2020, so if people are in doubt about reading the books, they could wait for the Netflix series.

About reading in the story order, you started with Season of Storms? Which book are you reading now, Time of Contempt or Baptism of Fire?

NahaNago

I always found the Robin Hobb Assassin series to be depressing. I haven't read Raymon Feist stuff in years. The latest stuff I read was mostly fluff stuff from , Kim Harrison, Charlain Harris, and Jim butcher.
I use to be really into L.E. modesitt and piers anthony's Xanth series. Terry Goodkind stuff was good but just like most series in my opinion continued for far too long, I have that same opinion about Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I really liked Simon R. Green's The Deathstalker series. I also read Orson Scott Card in the past but he is considered controversial these days. There is also Patricia Briggs does a lot of shapeshifting stuff , Rachel Caine's The Morganville Vamp but I don't know if I ever finished it. Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake stuff was good in the beginning but it gets really sexual as the series goes on I think around the 12th book in the 20+series, which shouldn't be too surprising since her other series before this was also extremely sexual. I use to read a lot of fantasy but my main author Kim Harrison finished her series, Simon R. Green moved on from deathstalker stuff, and Jim Butcher should have started a new series but I do understand that the Dresden Files is probably a money maker.

The majority of the stuff I listed would be considered just your typical action fluff movie stuff. The odd ones are L.E. modesitt and Piers Anthony. Modesitt's stuff is fantasy but is a bit stiff too read. Xanth is a very punny fantasy world.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah, I'd recommend them to people who already played the games, but just don't go reading 7 books just to start a series of games you wanted to play. They are good books, maybe even a little bit above average, but not top fantasy best of the best.

The series will probably come in 2020, so if people are in doubt about reading the books, they could wait for the Netflix series.

About reading in the story order, you started with Season of Storms? Which book are you reading now, Time of Contempt or Baptism of Fire?
After doing some research, I found the recommendation was to read them in this order:

The Last Wish (short)
Sword of Destiny (short)
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallows
Lady of the Lake

Yes, I am up to Baptism of Fire, but I am not sure what book Season of Storms is, that was not listed in the recommended list I found. It was a fair while ago though, so maybe the book wasn’t translated at the time or had a title change?

manfestival

As for good? Not sure, I do not read enough scifi to actually give proper commentary on actual good material. However, I do LOVE the warhammer 40k books. The books are filled with action and a good bit of lore. However, it is a daunting task to get yourself up to date just to get the references or even put yourself in a position to get everything in context. You can't simply read a book and everything makes sense because they just throw out things like terminator armor with 0 description since so much of the burden of knowledge relies of you as the reader. The stuff is great though, if you get to know enough.

AaronB

I've gone back to some old favorites in the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k settings. I reread the entire Gotrek & Felix series, the Commissar Caiphas Cain series, and now I'm deep into the Gaunt's Ghosts. Each of those series are fantastic.

Once that's done, I haven't read anything in a D&D setting in a long time, or I've heard good things about the Red Rising series.

Last edited:

kischine

After doing some research, I found the recommendation was to read them in this order:

The Last Wish (short)
Sword of Destiny (short)
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallows
Lady of the Lake

Yes, I am up to Baptism of Fire, but I am not sure what book Season of Storms is, that was not listed in the recommended list I found. It was a fair while ago though, so maybe the book wasn’t translated at the time or had a title change?
That's the order of publication. Season of Storms is a book that released 14 years after the Lady of the Lake (which is the end of the series) but the story takes place before the rest of the books. As far as I know it also took a while to release in english.
But yeah, if I'm not mistaken Baptism of Fire is the best book cause of Bonhart (I could be mistaken with Tower of Swallows though).

After I finish this series I think I'm gonna read a Brandon Sanderson book, I have a friend that loves him and told me I should start with Elantris, and after that read the Mistborn series or The Stormlight Archive (which is his favorite series of B. Sanderson).

Why no one recommending The Kingkiller Chronicle? The Name of the Wind is probably my favorite book. The wait for the Doors of Stone is killing me.

Why no one recommending The Kingkiller Chronicle? The Name of the Wind is probably my favorite book. The wait for the Doors of Stone is killing me.
Definitely a good fantasy book. I need to re-read it and then read the sequel and the novelette before the third book comes out.

manfestival

I've gone back to some old favorites in the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k settings. I reread the entire Gotrek & Felix series, the Commissar Caiphas Cain series, and now I'm deep into the Gaunt's Ghosts. Each of those series are fantastic.

Once that's done, I haven't read anything in a D&D setting in a long time, or I've heard good things about the Red Rising series.
I recommend the warhammer stuff too but I would be wary of recommending anything that requires a heavy burden of knowledge prior to the reader getting into it. Unfortunately 99% warhammer related require that knowledge to some degree.

kischine

Definitely a good fantasy book. I need to re-read it and then read the sequel and the novelette before the third book comes out.
I love Patrick Rothfuss, the Wise Man's Fear is really good, but I don't recommend the novelette, unless you LOVE Auri, the book is poetic nonsense from a schizophrenic, literally.

Dev1lXYZ

Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman

A real page turner. Medieval horror, mixed with a little fantasy set in France.

American

Banned
If you're willing to read comics, check out Tokyo Ghost, Low and Black Science all by Rick Remender.

Tokyo Ghost in particular is one of the most beautifully illustrated comics I have ever seen.

badblue

Gold Member
I'm going to be pimping Audible here, but their audio dramas (Out of the Shadows, River of Pain and Sea of Sorrows) are awesome. They mostly take place between Alien and Aliens, and in Sea of Sorrows they make a reference that everything during Alien 3/4 is "classified".

Galaxy Outlaws is pretty good as well, it sort of scratches that Firefly itch for me. And you can get the whole set (85 hours) for one token. (or free if you find some referral code out there from some youtuber)

John Saclzi's The Collapsing Empire was good. I am very much looking forward to the next book.

Not Alone by Craig A. Falconer I found to be more Fiction then Science Fiction but it was still a very enjoyable story.

+1 for the Bobiverse books by Dennis E. Taylor.

Last edited:

Relativ9

Just finished Artemis on Audible, i really liked it. Not excatly an epic or anything, but still really good, and Rosario Dawson has a great voice/style.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm going to be pimping Audible here, but their audio dramas (Out of the Shadows, River of Pain and Sea of Sorrows) are awesome. They mostly take place between Alien and Aliens, and in Sea of Sorrows they make a reference that everything during Alien 3/4 is "classified".

Galaxy Outlaws is pretty good as well, it sort of scratches that Firefly itch for me. And you can get the whole set (85 hours) for one token. (or free if you find some referral code out there from some youtuber)

John Saclzi's The Collapsing Empire was good. I am very much looking forward to the next book.

Not Alone by Craig A. Falconer I found to be more Fiction then Science Fiction but it was still a very enjoyable story.

+1 for the Bobiverse books by Dennis E. Taylor.

Are you me?

I'm listening to Galaxy Outlaws right now and absolutely loving it so far (I'm on the 4th "book"/"episode"/"whatever") and while it's not exactly the height of narrative fiction, it's a fun listen.

+1 for Scalzi's Collapsing Empire, as well as the Aliens dramas. I also kinda liked the X-Files dramas, but I think we've already established that I like listening to shlock. :goog_wink:

I've been on a Phillip K Dick kick lately. In the last year, I've read the Man in the High Tower, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and Ubik. All 3 were excellent. I've started Flow My Tears the Policeman Said. And I've purchased but haven't started the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. He's definitely my favorite Sci-Fi writer.

I've been on a Phillip K Dick kick lately. In the last year, I've read the Man in the High Tower, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and Ubik. All 3 were excellent. I've started Flow My Tears the Policeman Said. And I've purchased but haven't started the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. He's definitely my favorite Sci-Fi writer.
I'm so excited on your behalf! If you liked those books, you'll probably enjoy Three Stigmata and Flow My Tears as well.

M. Crassus

Mistborn series, and the Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind). These books restored my love for fantasy recently.

God Enel

I started out not liking the writing style at all, possibly caused by translation issues, but those issues faded away for me and by the end I loved it. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
That was the first book I read Murakami too and I enjoyed it very much. I'm not sure ignorant I've read another one but a lot of people say that the first book you read will often times the best one.

Top Bottom