• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Relax with the hyperbole. Test footage from a game several years away (using a few features of Unreal Engine familiar to professional animators) is a different topic of discussion from products completely produced and playable today. Deniz is doing great work, but they still have to actually make the game...

I mean isn’t it saying something that an AA dev can do that and even in a testing phase and there’s nothing on that level from companies with 100x more money and man power?

CamHostage

I mean isn’t it saying something that an AA dev can do that and even in a testing phase and there’s nothing on that level from companies with 100x more money and man power?

Not really.

You can find all kinds of high-quality animation tests out there, much of it from professional developers; there's also great rundowns and tests of some of the newer animation blending techniques coming into practice. Project Deniz is showing how all of this can be done well, but they're not showing the rest of the world how to do the job.

What's really nice, though, about what Ethanol Games is doing in their Deniz project is smart use of secondary animation with gift movement from the physical representation of for example the hair. Her hair is portraying the action as well as anything the character is personally doing in these animation movements, flying wildly as she runs or turns and throwing hard as she slams into the wall. In conjunction with the well-coordination and exaggerated audio, the character's stress is well portrayed in this animation test.

I like this work a lot, I'm just not lighting up a torch over this to join some rabble against what the pros have been doing in their work.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The Matrix Awakens demo, Marvel 1943 and Hellblade 2 say differently. Look at the Marble and Cars demo by Nvidia on a 4090…CGI quality realtime graphics aren’t hard to achieve with nanite and luman like technology…

Also to the second part of your post, This is where new compression methods, tools and bigger hard drives come in. Also the industry higher ups need to stop being greedy. There is plenty of money to fund these projects, it’s the higher ups that don’t want to lose a bonus paycheck.
So a demo, a game we’ve only seen snippets of gameplay from in a trailer (which itself was mostly in engine cut scenes) and a game which has been dramatically downgraded since it’s reveal trailer.

1943 does look great. It will look better than most games because like Hellblade II it’s fairly linear much like The Order. It also wasn’t me being disappointed with it. It was the usual suspects who want real time CGI on a 12tflop graphics chip.

The amusing thing to me is if we could wipe some of their minds for just a moment. Then let them out in the open World stages from FFVII Rebirth (graphics mode of course) and told them it was running on UE5 with Nanite/Lumen I bet they’d believe you. It’s an astonishing looking game and one of a number of current gen games I think are stunning. I’ve sung the praises of Rift Apart, Horizon 2, Returnal, Ragnorok, GT7, Spider-Man 2, AC Valhalla, Plague Tale 2 and Forza Horizon 5 in here before. I more than appreciate what we have even the cross gen games look phenomenal on current gen. Am I a little let down because like the others I thought we’d get closer to lower budget CGI?… sure but my point was I got over it and I’m just enjoying games. The consoles are what they are so until 2028 when PS6 launches we’re stuck with them :p

Last edited:
Not really.

You can find all kinds of high-quality animation tests out there, much of it from professional developers; there's also great rundowns and tests of some of the newer animation blending techniques coming into practice. Project Deniz is showing how all of this can be done well, but they're not showing the rest of the world how to do the job.

What's really nice, though, about what Ethanol Games is doing in their Deniz project is smart use of secondary animation with gift movement from the physical representation of for example the hair. Her hair is portraying the action as well as anything the character is personally doing in these animation movements, flying wildly as she runs or turns and throwing hard as she slams into the wall. In conjunction with the well-coordination and exaggerated audio, the character's stress is well portrayed in this animation test.

I like this work a lot, I'm just not lighting up a torch over this to join some rabble against what the pros have been doing in their work.
I’m genuinely uniformed in this arena so I will defer to you on it. It just seems to me that if a small group can do something like this - an AAAA team should be able to put out a game with similar quality animation. Is the idea that these techniques are only recently coming into use and we’ll be seeing stuff like this in the next few years from the bigger developers?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I’m genuinely uniformed in this arena so I will defer to you on it. It just seems to me that if a small group can do something like this - an AAAA team should be able to put out a game with similar quality animation. Is the idea that these techniques are only recently coming into use and we’ll be seeing stuff like this in the next few years from the bigger developers?
I can promise you rockstar and naughty dog are working this right now. They just don’t tweet about it. Stuff like this is coming but like always animations are prioritized by a handful of studios. Look for the next AC to have some next Gen animations. Their AC teams used to take pride in their animation work.

So far this Gen, we have mostly had devs who don’t care about third person animations. At least the ones creating next Gen only games like Ubisoft massive, respawn, insomniac, Bethesda, capcom and remedy.

Top Bottom