• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Fandango Remastered HD upscale mod released

Original post from 17 days ago

The MOD page

Go to the mod page for a slider full of comparisons

About​

In 2015, Grim Fandango Remastered was released, helping to bring the 1998 classic to modern systems. It brought with it improved models, lighting, sound, controls, and more. However, the source to the original static backgrounds and animations were unfortunately lost and so remained in their original 640x480 16-bit form. This mod attempts to bring the quality of the backgrounds up to match the high fidelity of the rest of the remaster by upscaling them to 2560x1920 with 32-bit color.

Features​

• Mods
    • Allows for the creation of asset mods that can swap out any file usually loaded from the game's .LAB datapacks.
  • High-Quality Assets
    • Upgrades the renderer to support high-quality assets with any resolution and 32-bit color. Without this, assets are max 640x480 with dithered 16-bit color.
    • GrimHD uses a blend AI (mainly LDSR) and programmatic techniques to upscale all image assets in the game 4x.
  • Forced VSync
    • Previously, the remaster didn't use vsync while in-game and produced frames as fast as it could (sometimes causing coil whine).
  • High-DPI Fix
    • On high-dpi systems with UI scaling above 100%, the remaster renders at a lower resolution and lets the system scale it up. This isn't that noticeable with 640x480 backgrounds but it stops high-quality assets from displaying at their full resolution. GrimMod forces the game to always render at the window's actual resolution.
  • Quick Renderer Toggle
    • In the remaster, toggling the renderer between Original/Remastered is a smooth transition which makes changes less noticeable. GrimMod makes the toggle instant, highlighting the differences between the renderers.

Last edited:
This has been on my list to play. There's a similar mod for The Longest Journey and it was a great way to play on modern screens. Love these kinds of mods, especially if the fans have brought a quality eye to it.

I own more copies of this game than I care to think about, dating back to the original on PC which I still own on PC CD-ROM.

So definitely interested in this for sure. Gotta say though, that 2560x1920 resolution is a strange one. The lack of any monitor in existence to play this at a native resolution might trigger me a little.

Last edited:
I own more copies of this game than I care to think about, dating back to the original on PC which I still own on PC CD-ROM.

So definitely interested in this for sure. Gotta say though, that 2560x1920 resolution is a strange one. The lack of any monitor in existence to play this at a native resolution might trigger me a little.
Pretty sure that's not how it works, it just upscales the backgrounds to that res, the game itself then runs at whatever native res you want to play at.

squarealex

By far, this is the better upscale mod I see (better than RE2/RE3 Dolphin or FF9 wich I dind't like how the new upscaled background mod looks)

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's not how it works, it just upscales the backgrounds to that res, the game itself then runs at whatever native res you want to play at.
The backgrounds are not upscaled in real-time, you have to download a 2GB asset pack, but yeah, the 3d graphics will just run at native res.

diffusionx

Gold Member

It’s a 4X upscale from the native 640x480 on each axis, you’re always going to get that unless you crop which no.

Last edited:
It’s a 4X upscale from the native 640x480 on each axis, you’re always going to get that unless you crop which no.
Yup, I do realise it's a 4x upscale. I honestly think CRT would still be the ideal way to play this. I might check it out on my Dell 2007FPB which runs at 1600*1200 (which is how I play all my old PC games). I like to avoid black bars whenever possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom