• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun Knowledge Primer for Control Advocates

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I've noticed that a lot of Gun Control Advocates (I'll just refer to them as advocates from here on out) have a varying level of knowledge about firearms.

"Why should I have to know specifics of firearms in order to be against them?"

Well, the big thing here is that understanding what kinds of firearms exist will help you craft a better argument, and hopefully, will help you understand what kind of legislation to support in order to affect change.

We'll start with the big one here, which would be Assault Rifles, Assault Weapons, and Semi Automatic Rifle.

An assault rifle is a select-fire rifle capable of automatic fire. These are basically outlawed in the US except in rare cases where people have been approved by the ATF to buy one. Even then, legality is on a state-by-state basis. Furthermore, the automatic weapon in question must be manufactured prior to 1986, which means the cost of said automatic weapon is easily in the tens of thousands in most cases. Fun fact: the AR in AR-15 is actually shorthand for Armalite, not Assault Rifle.

An assault weapon is a term used to describe a rifle that looks like a military rifle, but it is made for civilian use. This means that it typically has a polymer furniture, a collapsible/retracting stock, detachable magazine, and rails for gun people to play Barbie doll with accessories.

A semi-automatic rifle is a rifle that is capable of automatically reloading, allowing the shooter to pull the trigger immediately after shooting a round. They also typically have detachable magazines. Some do not have detachable magazines, in which case you use a clip or stripper clip in order to reload the gun. Here's a picture to help.

Magazine+-+vs+-+Clip.jpg

Pedantic distinction there, but using the right terminology will help you overcome the mental barriers of a typical gun owner where they want to point out every wrong thing you say. It's totally annoying right? I'm going to give you the ability to have a meaningful conversation with them, and sometimes you have to take the high road.

Now to help you distinguish between the three rifle types, these two series of images will each contain an assault rifle, an assault weapon, and a semi-auto rifle, in that order. The first is generally illegal, as previously noted. The second was illegal during the Assault Weapons Ban. The third would be legal during that ban, and would also be legal after any sort of proposed "assault weapon" legislation would take effect.

M14, M1A Socom CQB, M1A Match:

M4, AR-15 in full Barbie-mode, and hunting AR-15:

As you can see, there's very little appreciable difference between these guns outside of some aesthetic differences, especially in the case of assault weapon vs semi-auto.

In terms of impact on gun violence, limiting assault weapons doesn't really do a whole lot to reduce access to guns capable of mass shootings. Anyone can go to the store, buy a hunting/match rifle, and then is capable of the same kind of destruction that we've seen in recent years. That's because they're the same rifles. One just has a spoiler with fancy 20" wheels.

Semi-auto Pistols and Assault Weapons

For Semi-auto Pistols, I don't think I need to go into too much detail. Everyone knows what one looks like if they've seen a movie, and how they work. It's an autoloading pistol that is fed by a magazine.

Pistols that are categorized as Assault Weapons are known by their use of magazines that are not in the grip of the pistol, barrel shrouds (so you can grip it with your second hand), and a threaded barrel for silencer or muzzle break attachments. They are still semi-automatic, however.

More pictures!

Semi-Automatic Pistols

Assault Weapons

The funny thing about this, is that pistols are incredibly hard to shoot accurately. In almost all ways, these assault weapons are actually less lethal than proper semi-auto pistols. The original design of these is to be fully automatic, in which case you don't need to be accurate, because you hold down the trigger and spray in a general area. You can't do that with these, as they are semi-automatic.

"But why do I care? I'd like to see everything above banned. Banning something is at least a start."

This mentality is a bad one to take on multiple fronts. Most importantly, there is absolutely no way to achieve your goal without passing a new amendment to the Constitution of the United States. SCOTUS has already set way too much precedence to overcome.

United States vs. Miller - 1939 said:
"In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense. Aymette v. State, 2 Humphreys (Tenn.) 154, 158. The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. 'A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline.' And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time."'

Yeah, I realize that the move to a standing army post-WWII dramatically changes the necessity of the bolded. I agree, it makes way less sense in today's day and age. However, the law is the law. Given that semi-automatic rifles are in common use, there's basically no way to outlaw them without an amendment.

The other major downfall of that stance is that it pits you in an Us versus Them mentality, which gun owners will immediately react to and act defensively. They know you are trying to put forward ineffective laws just to get one on the scoreboard. That does not help prevent mass shootings. That does not help prevent gun violence. That does not help stop the proliferation of firearms.

That's fine, but I still want to work towards a goal of eventually outlawing firearms.

Outreach and find common ground with gun owners to start making sensible legislation that has an appreciable impact on firearm proliferation and ease of access.

Reducing ease of access is a no-brainer that a lot of gun owners, and most of the public agree upon. The major issue is that it becomes fairly expensive to enforce. I'd like to think that kind of money is absolutely worth the benefit of reduced gun violence.

There's a pretty neat idea that already exists in a lot of countries that would not be counter to case law about guns, it's called Shall-Issue. The short of it is that people need extensive background checks and licensing in order to own a firearm, but there's no discretion allowed on part of the authority to give it, as long as the person meets all the requirements for ownership.

Other ideas, like preventing private sales of firearms without a background check have passed very easily in a lot of states recently. Making this more widespread, perhaps Federal, would go a long way to help prevent both proliferation, and the wrong people getting them.

How it worked a few years ago, is that I could just accept money from a friend for a specific firearm, and then give it to them. No records, no background check, no nothing. This is where the "Gun Show Loophole" comes from. Almost all the actual vendors at Gun Shows do require membership, which includes a background check. But where people get away with it is when private parties there are looking to sell their firearms, and meet someone else who ends up buying it. They'll even walk around with a big cardboard sign saying what they have for sale. This is still legal in a lot of states, unfortunately.

Of course, there are going to be a lot of people that still think any laws are bad. Those aren't the people you should try and convince. Those aren't even really the people that you should bother arguing with. In the end, they will be a tiny minority that no one needs any input from in order to pass laws.

I hope this helps. I'll update the thread a little bit later with some good links on current and past gun laws.

This is helpful, but I'd also like to point out how much of a fallacy it is that if someone doesn't know much about guns they shouldn't have an opinion about them.

You don't need to know a lot about cars to know that drunk people shouldn't be driving them.

SmokeMaxX

Can someone explain what difference it makes if I call an assault weapon an assault rifle? I feel like you're missing the point arguing semantics if I say an "assault rifle" just killed 30 kids.

collige

Banned
Can someone explain what difference it makes if I call an assault weapon an assault rifle? I feel like you're missing the point arguing semantics if I say an "assault rifle" just killed 30 kids.

If your response to the killing is to propose a ban on all "assault rifles", it's helpful to know exactly what you're referring to.

mkenyon

Banned
Because non-assault weapons, aka Semi-Auto Rifles, are the same thing as "Assault Weapons". They just tend to have wood stocks instead of polymer ones.

I went over that in great detail.

SmokeMaxX

If your response to the killing is to propose a ban on all "assault rifles", it's helpful to know exactly what you're referring to.

That's kinda besides the point though. Would people who are arguing that point really agree with someone who proposed a ban on "rifles that are classified as assault weapons, but are NOT assault rifles" or are they just nitpicking just to argue?

In any case, I personally think handguns are more of a problem, but good luck getting those banned.

Because non-assault weapons, aka Semi-Auto Rifles, are the same thing as "Assault Weapons". They just tend to have wood stocks instead of polymer ones.

I went over that in great detail.
You described what an assault weapon is and how it differs from an assault rifle, but I'm still unclear what the significance of the different terminology is in terms of the gun control debate. I mean does it really matter if people say "assault rifles, assault weapons, and all things resembling either of those two categories" as opposed to misclassifying a weapon designed to look like an assault rifle as an assault rifle?

Don't forget AK's!

Totally safe:
saiga22320.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Super dangerous:
saiga_x39_07-25-08_500.jpg

Unfortunately those who'd like to take a nuanced realistic approach will be drowned out by those screaming "Ban all guns! Fuck that!" But good write-up.

This is helpful, but I'd also like to point out how much of a fallacy it is that if someone doesn't know much about guns they shouldn't have an opinion about them.

You don't need to know a lot about cars to know that drunk people shouldn't be driving them.

Agreed when it comes to broad generalities like "People shouldn't drive drunk" and "People shouldn't open carry guns". Some knowledge is good when getting into the nitty gritty details of gun laws when suggesting things that sounds simple up front "All ammo sold should have a background check" but has backend considerations for gun owners and the system that should be taken into consideration. This is hard to do when unfamiliar with the process. This is just one example.

Machine

I always roll my eyes when someone says they want to ban ALL guns. Even the countries with the most restrictive gun laws generally allow people to own hunting rifles and certain other sporting arms. I wish people would be more specific so I knew if they grasped the nuances of what they are talking about.

mkenyon

Banned
That's kinda besides the point though. Would people who are arguing that point really agree with someone who proposed a ban on "rifles that are classified as assault weapons, but are NOT assault rifles" or are they just nitpicking just to argue?

In any case, I personally think handguns are more of a problem, but good luck getting those banned.
That's basically the point I outline in detail in the OP.

Assault Weapon = Semi-Auto Rifle. You can't ban Semi-Auto Rifles because of SCOTUS law, which is the same reason you can't ban handguns. (without a new amendment)
You described what an assault weapon is and how it differs from an assault rifle, but I'm still unclear what the significance of the different terminology is in terms of the gun control debate. I mean does it really matter if people say "assault rifles, assault weapons, and all things resembling either of those two categories" as opposed to misclassifying a weapon designed to look like an assault rifle as an assault rifle?
Well, again, the info is in the OP. But, Assault Rifles are illegal. Classifying something as an Assault Weapon doesn't do anything. It has no effect on gun violence. It has no effect on gun proliferation.

HariKari

Because what defined an "assault rifle" under the AWB was pretty much a joke. It included things like bayonet lugs. How many people have died to a bayonet charge recently? Firearm manufacturers were quick to figure out many novel ways around such an ineffective ban.

There isn't a great deal of difference in functional lethality between a Mini-14 or AR-15 that doesn't fall under previous bans and those that do. They also happen to be involved in a very small number of gun deaths every year, though they are the spree shooters weapon of choice. I understand people wanting to ban them, but there are tens of millions of them in circulation, and these things don't degrade on any sort of meaningful timescale. There isn't any legislation out there that would reasonably protect Americans from someone who previously did not show up on any LE radars from just snapping. When guns are banned, they don't go out of circulation, they just become slightly more expensive on the resale market.

Tackling it from the supply side isn't going to be super fruitful. Good news, though. There already exists a wildly successful framework for gun control in the United States - NFA/Class 3 items. They're heavily regulated and monitored, for starters. The number of incidences involving these weapons was less than a half dozen last time I looked, and none in recent history. Gun control advocates should start there, not jump immediately to a ban.

Bans don't really work. Heavy regulation does.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Nice thread. This is like one of the writing pen threads Bagel makes and I mean that as a compliment. I am not extremely familiar with guns. I have fired a handgun and what I think was an AR15 when I was with my uncle at some dudes farm. We shot disks and bottles that he setup. So that is my only experience with firearms.

This thread will be helpful for me. I am a GCA and I like to know as much about what I'm opposing as I can.

I always roll my eyes when someone says they want to ban ALL guns. Even the countries with the most restrictive gun laws generally allow people to own hunting rifles and certain other sporting arms. I wish people would be more specific so I knew if they grasped the nuances of what they are talking about.

All I know is I'm not storing my guns at the range and I want the ability to defend my home with a firearm. Not a smug denunciation from people that don't know the first thing about me, my history, my situation. I'm more than willing to agree on things that don't infringe on my second amendment rights. But not really interested in debating the definition of 2A.

mkenyon

Banned
All I know is I'm not storing my guns at the range and I want the ability to defend my home with a firearm. Not a smug denunciation from people that don't know the first thing about me, my history, my situation. I'm more than willing to agree on things that don't infringe on my second amendment rights. But not really interested in debating the definition of 2A.
This is why I like the idea of shall-issue licensing with even some required testing.

Furyous

Thanks for the thread as it seems relatively free for the most of snark on the OP's part.

I can understand at most having one pistol carried at times on one's person. However, anything more powerful than a glock is woefully unnecessary in my opinion unless someone hunts. What is the person or group of people that has an arsonal of weapons preparing for? Police and military are understandable target populations that naturally need to do their jobs.

There are more guns than people in the United States so outlawing sales of every gun is impossible and useless anyway. Make it so that new gun owners cannot own more than one of certain types of weapons and need those registered with a government agency of some sort. If they instituted the dystopian firearm ban gun owners harp over tomorrow then where are those 300 million guns going to go? Nowhere because fuck recycling 300 million guns.

Common sense legislation supported by our current government officials is not the end of the world and that is what I am in favor of. I say this as someone that gun toting vigilantes have pulled weapons on for walking at night while black. How dare I exercise my human right to walk around a community minding my own business.

hawk2025

As in the vast majority of times, more information always helps. And the OP is right that, even if it does nothing more than helping you break down that initial resistance barrier to even approach the subject with others, this is information that we should all have.

In fact, the thread was actually written in a way to slowly make people lower their guards ("No! I don't need to know this, because _____!") and actually *read* through the content, so that was oddly effective for me.

Appreciate it, OP.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair to the OP that if you wanted to actually cut down on gun deaths in America by banning any of those, you'd ban all handguns. Despite their inaccuracy most accidents, suicides, homicides, and gun related assaults are committed with pistols!

This is why I like the idea of shall-issue licensing with even some required testing.

NY has that if you want a pistol. Even for the home. I said a long time ago I believe eventually gun laws across the nation will mirror NYS. Doesn't matter if one agrees or disagrees, it'll curve in that direction.

I don't mind it if it's done fairly to ensure safety and not as a means to stall legal gun owners.

To be fair to the OP that if you wanted to actually cut down on gun deaths in America by banning any of those, you'd ban all handguns. Despite their inaccuracy most accidents, suicides, homicides, and gun related assaults are committed with pistols!

Hence why it takes a year to get a pistol permit in NY. In NY that permit isn't for carrying a gun it's JUST a sporting license. Can take it to a range or gunsmith or to the police to turn it in for destruction. There's still gun crime. But laws can help somewhat.

hwalker84

I can understand at most having one pistol carried at times on one's person. However, anything more powerful than a glock is woefully unnecessary in my opinion unless someone hunts. What is the person or group of people that has an arsonal of weapons preparing for?
I'm not preparing for anything. It's like saying why do you have more than one videogame. I love the nuances, ergonomics, trigger, sights, etc. of all my different firearms.

HariKari

What is the person or group of people that has an arsonal of weapons preparing for?

The same reason people collect cars or really anything else. I know the mental image of a completely crazy doomsday prepper is a popular one but that's not the reason a majority of people own firearms.

Great thread.

However, anything more powerful than a glock is woefully unnecessary in my opinion unless someone hunts.

But what does this actually mean? Glock's website has seven different caliber pistols they make. Do you want to ban 45s? They have better stopping power than a 9mm. Your making a very broad case here.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I want everyone to have a one shot manual reload hunting rifle.

You can reload your damn gun after shooting at bambi once. If you need two bullets and can't reload fast enough to shoot bambi twice, get gud.

Shotguns, semi-auto anything and hand-guns can DIAF as far as I'm concerned there is no real need for them. Unless you have some cause to be in potential snake dens, then you can have a hand-fun with shot-shell.

Orayn

I agree with this to an extent. Some of it raises gun enthusiasts' hackles while not directly affecting the conversation (magazine vs. clip), but it's good to have clarity when it comes to how the weapons actually fire, their availability and legality, whether or not a "military style" design makes a weapon more dangerous, etc.

It's not important to know highly specific terms for everything, but it does matter that a legal AR-15 fires once per trigger pull and doesn't use ammunition that's inherently more deadly than a hunting rifle of a similar caliber.

HariKari

But what does this actually mean? Glock's website has seven different caliber pistols they make. Do you want to ban 45s? They have better stopping power than a 9mms. Your making a very broad case here.

I think he's saying nobody really needs anything more than your typical semiauto handgun (15-20 rounds, usual pistol calibers). It's a weird distinction to make, considering handguns are involved in the vast majority of violent crimes. Easy to conceal. Cheap. A lot harder to control (both in shooting and regulation) than rifles, honestly.

I think he's saying nobody really needs anything more than your typical semiauto handgun (15-20 rounds, usual pistol calibers). It's a weird distinction to make, considering handguns are involved in the vast majority of violent crimes. Easy to conceal. Cheap. A lot harder to control (both in shooting and regulation) than rifles, honestly.

The word powerful threw me off, thats all.

Its been argued pretty convincingly that the best way to cut down on gun deaths in America would be to roll back America's war on drugs.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-gun-death-policy-ending-the-drug-war/266505/

I want everyone to have a one shot manual reload hunting rifle.

You can reload your damn gun after shooting at bambi once. If you need two bullets and can't reload fast enough to shoot bambi twice, get gud.

Shotguns, semi-auto anything and hand-guns can DIAF as far as I'm concerned there is no real need for them. Unless you have some cause to be in potential snake dens, then you can have a hand-fun with shot-shell.

Stop, lol. We're not putting a 130+ year old technology (semi-autos) back in the bottle.

Brakke

Banned
Thanks, OP, good detail.

Semantics are important. In fact, since we're talking about regulation, semantics is the whole ballgame. If we're going to ban some "unreasonable" guns but allow "reasonable" hunting weapons (which is pretty much what any feasible legislation is going to look like), then we need a solid understanding of what exists and how to define it so our legislation captures it.

Furyous

I'm not preparing for anything. It's like saying why do you have more than one videogame. I love the nuances, ergonomics, trigger, sights, etc. of all my different firearms.

I don't know you so don't take it personal. I'm looking sideways at far right/alt right guy with three missile launchers, six glocks, 10 desert eagles, 2 AR-15s, three sniper rifles, two aa-12s, three saiga-12s, etc. This is America and all but I am scared and feel the need to report such suspicious activity to the authorities.

Great thread.

But what does this actually mean? Glock's website has seven different caliber pistols they make. Do you want to ban 45s? They have better stopping power than a 9mm. Your making a very broad case here.

I don't want to ban anything per se. Limit sales particularly in concealed carry states to one handgun per person. As for specifics in my hypothetical preference:

Glock 20s in 10 mm auto are great for hunting so limit those to hunters.
Glock 17s are for professionals in 9x19 so limit those to professionals i.e. military/police.
All law enforcement glocks need to be banned from being sold to new customers just in case they are not banned already.

Literally every other glock is perfectly acceptable for sale to customers in this hypothetical scenario with a concealed carry limit of one person with mandatory training and registering with a federal agency. I am fine with someone protecting their home and family with one handgun, shotgun, etc.

This might seem draconian to gun owners but I want to feel safe in the community from vigilantes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This guide is actually only useful because of an intellectually dishonest rhetorical technique enjoyed nonstop by 2nd amendment "enthusiasts"

Most Americans in favor of sensible gun legislation don't want to ban anything except high capacity magazines and stuff that's already banned. This doesn't mean they're ignorant, it means they're not hobbyists. By all means explain things to them but suggesting their argument is meritless because of detailed terminology is ridiculous.

We have a gun problem. Let's take sensible steps to fix it. Nothing needs to be taken away except the trivial unencumbered simplicity and speed by which guns can be purchased with no background checks and minimal paperwork.

A mild inconvenience or short delay, should be something sensible gun enthusiasts support.

And slippery slope is a logical fallacy so let's not slide down it.

Yours sincerely, sensible shooting enthusiast.

HariKari

Literally every other glock is perfectly acceptable for sale to customers in this hypothetical scenario with a concealed carry limit of one person with mandatory training and registering with a federal agency.

So the G17 is off limits, but the G19, which is a basically functionally identical handgun in terms of lethality, is good to go for civilians? What?

10mm "limited to hunters". Again, what? How?

This might seem draconian to gun owners but I want to feel safe in the community from vigilantes.

Your argument makes zero sense.

I don't want to ban anything per se. Limit sales particularly in concealed carry states to one handgun per person. As for specifics in my hypothetical preference:

Glock 20s in 10 mm auto are great for hunting so limit those to hunters.
Glock 17s are for professionals in 9x19 so limit those to professionals i.e. military/police.
All law enforcement glocks need to be banned from being sold to new customers just in case they are not banned already.

Literally every other glock is perfectly acceptable for sale to customers in this hypothetical scenario with a concealed carry limit of one person with mandatory training and registering with a federal agency. I am fine with someone protecting their home and family with one handgun, shotgun, etc.

Gotcha. I believe here in California at least .40s are banned from non law enforcement. I'm not sure on the others.

mkenyon

Banned
We have a gun problem. Let's take sensible steps to fix it. Nothing needs to be taken away except the trivial unencumbered simplicity and speed by which guns can be purchased with no background checks and minimal paperwork.

A mild inconvenience or short delay, should be something sensible gun enthusiasts support.
Which is what I outline in the OP. ;)

mlclmtckr

Banned
Fine, if the pro-gun people want to be this hung up on semantics, just ban any low-recoil high capacity semiauto or automatic long gun, period. Works for me.

Furyous

So the G17 is off limits, but the G19, which is a basically functionally identical handgun in terms of lethality, is good to go for civilians? What?

10mm "limited to hunters". Again, what? How?

In my scenario 10mm is excluded from being sold to new customers upon implementation of this hypothetical legislation because it is suited for hunting.

Your argument makes zero sense.

It makes perfect sense if the goal is personal protection of the home and concealed carry for one adult. If you're out in public and need more than one of the glocks outlined in any of my proposals to "protect yourself" then something is wrong in my opinion. My proposal includes mandatory training as well but that doesn't make sense either, does it?

This is the point where you call me an idiot for requesting common sense regulation because this is 'Merica and you have the right to be able to carry seven guns on your person to go to a grocery store because the hypothetical thugs are coming for you. It's not a bad argument per se but at least be open to viewing this from another person's perspective. I am not insulting you or any gun owner from feeling whatever way they feel.

Stinkles

Which is what I outline in the OP. ;)

I don't dispute that. But it would be better that serious public figures didn't continue to promote that line of argument. "If they don't know the difference between a clip and a magazine, therefore moot"

As if semantic distinctions between gun features somehow make our absolutely staggeringly disproportionate level of murders, suicides and accidents by gun simply go away.

One thing I agree with NRA purists on - Guns don't kill people.

However, Americans with Guns kill people, and themselves, with astonishingly imbalanced frequency. We need to fix America. That means rules, regulations, and oh no! Paperwork!

I'd be happy forever with:

Background checks.
Sensible limitations on felons, registered offenders, watchlist persons - and more difficult - the mentally ill.
Waiting/Cooldown periods (even a couple of days)
And the "Gunshow" (i.e., facebook, Craigslist, you name it) loophole.

I'd also be enormously grateful if the NRA and its advocates didn't actively stop:

Research into biometric and other safety measures.
CDC research (funding, before someone pulls THAT shit) into the actual numbers and causes.
States or local jurisdictions choosing their own rules and detailed legislation.

HariKari

It makes perfect sense if the goal is personal protection of the home and concealed carry for one adult. If you're out in public and need more than one of the glocks outlined in any of my proposals to "protect yourself" then something is wrong in my opinion. My proposal includes mandatory training as well but that doesn't make sense either, does it?

This is the point where you call me an idiot for requesting common sense regulation because this is 'Merica and you have the right to be able to carry seven guns on your person to go to a grocery store because the hypothetical thugs are coming for you. It's not a bad argument per se but at least be open to viewing this from another person's perspective. I am not insulting you or any gun owner from feeling whatever way they feel.

Your argument doesn't make any sense because you're trying to distinguish between models of a certain brand rather than demonstrating an understanding that glock is just a brand - one of many - that sells many models in the high capacity semiauto handgun market. You're basically advocating that only police or ranchers should drive F-250s, but F-150s are okay, because... reasons. It really makes zero sense outside of being an emotional argument aka civilians shouldn't be able to buy what police can (which is already true to a large extent).

I don't think you're an idiot at all. You just seem confused about what makes a handgun lethal and useful in a self defense scenario. In all my years of owning firearms, I have never once seen a person carry more than one handgun on their person outside of cowboy action shooting shows. You seem to have had a bad experience with criminals (brandishing a gun for intimidation is a crime in every state) and are letting it shade your perceptions of the average gun owner.

Mandatory training makes perfect sense and I'm a huge advocate for it, as are a lot of gun owners. I even advocated for many steps beyond that in this very thread.

Stinkles

In my scenario 10mm is excluded from being sold to new customers upon implementation of this hypothetical legislation because it is suited for hunting.

It makes perfect sense if the goal is personal protection of the home .

No it makes no sense. Statistically, you are more likely to kill or injure yourself or a family member by accident, OR attract violence from outside, simply by having a weapon for home defense, than you are to protect yourself in the event of some external danger with that gun. And it's not even close. Like, your chances of being killed or injured SKYROCKET.

If you live in a place where that danger is escalated by environment (like, you live in Hamsterdam from the Wire) then those statistics STILL stand and you'd be far better off trying to move.

Semantics are important. In fact, since we're talking about regulation, semantics is the whole ballgame. If we're going to ban some "unreasonable" guns but allow "reasonable" hunting weapons (which is pretty much what any feasible legislation is going to look like), then we need a solid understanding of what exists and how to define it so our legislation captures it.

"Something is too hard, so lets do nothing" is the standard tactic used in these sorts of politics. Sure it is effective, but all it results in is the intended effect, which is nothing changes.

Here is what you do. You ban unreasonable guns. You do that today because there is no sane reason for people to have them. Will there be some guns like hunting weapons that are still a problem? Maybe. If it turns out they are a problem? Well you make further changes. You then keep adjusting until the problem is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom