• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Promethean Prototype - 2010

small_law

This was the game that killed halo for me.
It nearly did for me, but at the time, I chalked it up to 343 still getting their legs under them. I hated Halo 4, but I still wanted to see what they did with Halo 5. I should have just given up then.

Honestly, I'm still surprised when I see people regard Halo 4 highly. I thought it was universally disliked, but it has its fans. To each their own I guess.

Diddy X

Halo 4 didn't kill aything lol, it just isn't as good as Halo 3 or Reach, it's pretty lame to exaggerate like that, it was a great game with bad things like the prometheans which were annoying to kill but I repeat, Halo 4 didn't kill an entire franchise LMAO, people bringing this up everytime only means some like crying way too much.

chigstoke

Halo 4 is a fine game.

Is the campaign as good as 3 or Reach? No, but it's still enjoyable enough (and compared to Halo 5's story especially, it's much better).

The multiplayer is a blast on Halo 4, and a toss up between Reach and 4 for what had my favourite Halo multiplayer. It's simply a game that for me get's undeserved hatred towards it when it was a perfectly fine addition to the series albeit not an overly spectacular game.

FeldMonster

This is a really interesting video, as it clearly looks and behaves like Halo 3. You still have the four Halo 3 grenade types for example.

The Prometheans are much more like the Vex from Destiny, a la the head pop off. (A Destiny staple that is oh so satisfying, though for the Vex, it is their abdomen).

Halo 4 is extremely, unfairly, maligned.
  • Sprint - Introduced by Bungie in Halo Reach, since becoming a nearly universal FPS standard. Not my personal preference, but I am pretty used to it by now.
  • Loadouts - Introduced by Bungie in Halo Reach
  • Loadouts do not allow you to select power weapons, only the primary rifles. The battle Rifle, DMR, Covenant Carbine, and Light Rifle are functionally identical for all but the most skilled of players, so who cares which one you have?
  • In MCC today and later in Halo 4, classic slayer was added with weapon pickups and fixed loadouts, so don't say that it doesn't exist. It is far more common than Infinity slayer in my MCC experience.
  • The end boss fight isn't great, but Halo's bosses have always been lame. Clearly Bungie learned something, as the bosses in Destiny are significantly more fun
  • The soundtrack is awesome, but it is too soft in the game and/or mistimed with the action. Honestly, if you think it is poor, listen to it in youtube. As someone who bought the CD and listened to it on loop prior to playing the Halo 4 campaign, I was disappointed that it wasn't given more prominence.
  • Artstyle is subjective. I like the look of Chief as a tank, not to mention the best Cortana.
  • The aiming still feels like classic Halo, one of my primary criticisms of Halo 5, which changed the aiming algorithm for the worse.
  • Halo 4 has the best sounding shotgun of all time in my opinion
  • As with most shooters, I defer to the excellent analysis of Raycevik. Watch his videos on Youtube.

I think the thing that annoyed me most about the Halo 4 campaign is that each area felt like they designed it first for multiplayer. Like, you'd be going through the campaign and enter a huge battle area which was conveniently large and symmetrical, perfect for an MP map. The story itself was mostly enjoyable, except that it felt like the first Halo where you really had to read some of the companion material to get the backstory, rather than just playing the game.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The gap between Halo's worst and other FPS' out there is still WIDE, what Halo entails is a masterful franchise that Microsoft feels like it can sell consoles.

At the end he shot off the prometheans arm, thats better than what we got in the current games

I like the rolling tbh, much better than teleporting

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Weren't a number of staff from Retro Studios hired by 343, thus the Space Pirate-Halo hybrid designs?

I didn't hate 4, mainly being a campaign player, I was one of the ones defending it as their first entry and a launching pad for a Forerunner-Precursor arc. 5 was a leap too far into fanfic for me, when Cortana swallowed a sob I nearly vomited. Infinite will probably just have to deal with the story that set off, but I hope it ends setting off what we're really waiting for, the second judgement of the Precursors and everything the (amazing) Forerunner trilogy by Greg Bear should have set off.

Regardless of whether or not the final version ended up being good, it's always nice to see videos like this where it's an earlier build of a game. Always interesting to see what might have been.

Not really related but dam I can't fucking wait for Halo Infinite. First new Halo game in 5 years on a brand spanking new console. In regards to Halo 4 it is without a doubt the weakest entry in the series.

Reactions: RSB

VAL0R

Banned
I'll never forgive Halo 4 for making the ancient extinct Forerunner, an unimaginably advanced alien race, shrouded in mystery, into...frogtards. Just retcon this trash already.
didact-square-542x542-e73e67d7be3d4674a250eb89b4e044f9.jpg

436px-Librarianpicture.png

Graciaus

Halo 4 didn't kill aything lol, it just isn't as good as Halo 3 or Reach, it's pretty lame to exaggerate like that, it was a great game with bad things like the prometheans which were annoying to kill but I repeat, Halo 4 didn't kill an entire franchise LMAO, people bringing this up everytime only means some like crying way too much.
Halo 4 definetly was the downfall of Halo. Halo 2/3 were top played games for years. The community was cut in half on 4 after only a few months and only got smaller from there.

Halo 4 is a fine game.

Is the campaign as good as 3 or Reach? No, but it's still enjoyable enough (and compared to Halo 5's story especially, it's much better).

The multiplayer is a blast on Halo 4, and a toss up between Reach and 4 for what had my favourite Halo multiplayer. It's simply a game that for me get's undeserved hatred towards it when it was a perfectly fine addition to the series albeit not an overly spectacular game.
Halo 4 is actually pretty fun. But it isn't balanced at all for competitive play. 343 never bothered to patch the most basic of things like weapon unscoping.

Top Bottom