• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

rkofan87

Gold Member
I feel for the few students having gone in debt and can't go on with their studies because some assholes have taken over he universities.

It's ok to raise awareness about something you feel its problematic. Give away leaflets, go around asking people if its ok to talk to them.
It's fucking pathetic when you pretend to be some kind of moral higher being, telling people how they should live their lives and what to stand for, while you are ignoring thousands of other problems, going on for decades and you are in fact a part of the problem when you buy shit that are done under slave conditions so it comes cheap to you.

These people deserve a punch in the face.
this is why can not nice things thanks to cucks like this

Hot5pur

College campuses became a weird place right around the time I wrapped up my studies. I was very lucky.

I can't imagine parents feeling good sending their kids to these extremely expensive places for them to have to deal with this nonsense.

I mean you want to protest, fine, but don't disrupt other people's learning. Always leave room for doubt you may not be fully right. Higher education is just a pyramid scheme at this point that lets kids do whatever they please as long as they can extract money from them.

Having said that, education is extremely valuable and opens doors, especially in business, engineering, medicine, finance. Never stop investing in yourself because life is more interesting when you can appreciate all the beautiful complexity behind these disciplines and hopefully find your passion.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Harvard's response to its own encampment:

Dear Members of the Harvard Community,

Over the last 12 days, the encampment in Harvard Yard has disrupted our educational activities and operations. The right to free speech, including protest and dissent, is vital to the work of the research university. But it is not unlimited. It must be exercised in a time, place, and manner that respects the right of our community members to do their work, pursue their education, and enjoy the opportunities that a residential campus has to offer. The encampment favors the voices of a few over the rights of many who have experienced disruption in how they learn and work at a critical time of the semester. I call on those participating in the encampment to end the occupation of Harvard Yard.

The disruptions from this encampment at the heart of the University have been numerous. Harvard College exams and other important activities and events have had to move elsewhere. Safety concerns over the past two weeks, including those raised as a result of students sleeping outdoors overnight, have required us to sharply limit access to Harvard Yard. Although some community members have said they are undisturbed by these conditions, we continue to hear reports of students whose ability to sleep, study, and move freely about the campus has been disrupted by the actions of the protesters. We are especially troubled by increasing reports that some within, and some supporting, the encampment have intimidated and harassed other members of our community. When Harvard staff have requested to see IDs in order to enforce our policies, supporters of the encampment have at times yelled at them, tried to encircle them, and otherwise interfered with their work. We have also received reports that passers-by have been confronted, surveilled, and followed. Such actions are indefensible and unacceptable.

As first-year students move out and as we begin our extensive preparations for Commencement, this ongoing violation of our policies becomes more consequential. Thousands of family members, friends, and loved ones will soon join us to celebrate the achievements of graduate and undergraduate students who have earned the right to walk in Commencement. This celebration is the culmination of years of hard work and accomplishment. The members of the Class of 2024 deserve to enjoy this milestone uninterrupted and unimpeded. It would be especially painful if students who graduated from high school or college during the pandemic were denied a full graduation ceremony for a second time.

The individuals participating in the activities of the encampment have been informed repeatedly that violations of University and School policies will be subject to disciplinary consequences and that further violations and continued escalation will result in increasingly severe sanctions. Last week, faculties across the University began delivering disciplinary notices to students who continued to participate in unauthorized, disruptive activity in the Yard despite these notices.

I write today with this simple message: The continuation of the encampment presents a significant risk to the educational environment of the University. Those who participate in or perpetuate its continuation will be referred for involuntary leave from their Schools. Among other implications, students placed on involuntary leave may not be able to sit for exams, may not continue to reside in Harvard housing, and must cease to be present on campus until reinstated.

Enforcement of these policies, which are essential to our educational mission, is an obligation we owe to our students and the Harvard community more broadly. It is not, as some have suggested, a rejection of discussion and debate about the urgent issues that concern the University, the nation, and the world. As an academic institution, we do not shy away from hard and important questions. There are many ways for our community to engage constructively in reasoned discussion of complex issues, but initiating these difficult and crucial conversations does not require, or justify, interfering with the educational environment and Harvard’s academic mission. Our disagreements are most effectively addressed through candid, constructive dialogue, building not on disruption, but on facts and reason.

Sincerely,
Alan M. Garber

jason10mm

Gold Member
Columbia U cancelled its main commencement ceremony instead of removing the pro-Palestinian protesters who pitched tents on campus.

Never mind all your years of hard work, everyone!
Probably for the best. It would have been an ABSOLUTE SHIT SHOW since they seem unable to enforce any kind of behavior. And they know the typical "against the rules" little ceremony breaks that lots of "first in family" college graduates tend to engage in would be totally weaponized by the pro-Hamas folks and the entire ceremony would likely end in a riot. Best to sweep it under the rug and revisit the covid era small events.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
College campuses became a weird place right around the time I wrapped up my studies. I was very lucky.

I can't imagine parents feeling good sending their kids to these extremely expensive places for them to have to deal with this nonsense.

I mean you want to protest, fine, but don't disrupt other people's learning. Always leave room for doubt you may not be fully right. Higher education is just a pyramid scheme at this point that lets kids do whatever they please as long as they can extract money from them.

Having said that, education is extremely valuable and opens doors, especially in business, engineering, medicine, finance. Never stop investing in yourself because life is more interesting when you can appreciate all the beautiful complexity behind these disciplines and hopefully find your passion.
I did undergrad in the 90s. There was zero political stuff going on campus. Granted it’s Canada too so you won’t get amped up US stuff, but still it was chill. All everyone cared about was graduating, hitting pubs, chicks and meeting downtown hoping the bouncer let you into clubs.

A lot of college kids are total dumbasses now.

Not any different than recent times where older people at work bring their wacky home life politics to work. But this time it’s school property. So much for keeping things separate.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Probably for the best. It would have been an ABSOLUTE SHIT SHOW since they seem unable to enforce any kind of behavior. And they know the typical "against the rules" little ceremony breaks that lots of "first in family" college graduates tend to engage in would be totally weaponized by the pro-Hamas folks and the entire ceremony would likely end in a riot. Best to sweep it under the rug and revisit the covid era small events.
If it's anything like Harvard commencement, the school-wide ceremony is the main highlight, a once in a lifetime kind of experience. Such a shame for the students to lose out on that thanks to administrative weakness.

Woggleman

There was some political stuff going on when I was at Columbia in the 90s and it was certainly a liberal campus but it wasn't completely insane the way it is today. People were at least reasonable and most people followed the old school peace and love kind of liberalism. There was the Che Guevara T shirt stuff going on and I did see some free Mumia posters in campus but the whole place didn't feel like being caught in a woke nightmare. I fell so in love with NYC when I attended I stayed almost ten years after graduation. When I started to fall out of love with the city is when the wokism you see today started creeping up so maybe there is a connection.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If it's anything like Harvard commencement, the school-wide ceremony is the main highlight, a once in a lifetime kind of experience. Such a shame for the students to lose out on that thanks to administrative weakness.

Its sad to see. Student’s deserve to celebrate their acheivements, not worry if they will be attacked by some mental reject who defends terrorists on campus soil.

These “protestors” need to be removed.

Woggleman

They should have security perimeter around the campus and anybody that is not supposed to be there is arrested and any student who disrupts has their degree revoked or they are expelled.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They should have security perimeter around the campus and anybody that is not supposed to be there is arrested and any student who disrupts has their degree revoked or they are expelled.

I am fine with non-students being on campus, assuming they go through the proper channels. However, they should not be forcing students to not go to class, harass professors and other civilians, nor should there be professors giving grades for students who go to these events.

Not to mention that this is all just performative in nature. Israel and Palestine/Hamas does not give a damn about what goes on at these campuses. Nothing they do will affect the ongoing war.

There is a lot of news outlets reporting on a ceasefire proposal that has not been made public. Maybe one of its conditions is disbanding the IDF, coming from Qatar and Egypt it's unlikely to put much demands on Hamas compared to Israel.

I've heard that it involves hostages being freed in exchange for the release of Palestinian prisoners.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've heard that it involves hostages being freed in exchange for the release of Palestinian prisoners.

IIRC, aren’t most of those “Palestinians” active terrorists who tried to maim, murder, and kill as well as sow discord?

Regardless, what about all the still unknown Israeli prisoners that were taken on Oct 7th? I don’t see a ceasefire happening until there is confirmation and returns of their remains at the very least. As well as a full removal of Hamas as leader of the country.

IIRC, aren’t most of those “Palestinians” active terrorists who tried to maim, murder, and kill as well as sow discord?

Regardless, what about all the still unknown Israeli prisoners that were taken on Oct 7th? I don’t see a ceasefire happening until there is confirmation and returns of their remains at the very least. As well as a full removal of Hamas as leader of the country.

Most of those were citizens who were arrested, sometimes taken from their homes in the dead of night, and imprisoned without trial or even charge. Many of them are women and children. Worse, many have been reportedly abused by guards.

Most of those were citizens who were arrested, sometimes taken from their homes in the dead of night, and imprisoned without trial or even charge. Many of them are women and children. Worse, many have been reportedly abused by guards.
Sounds like the hostages taken by Hamas.

And 'women and children' are deeply involved in attacks. Sending a 13 year old to stab Israeli civilians is a win/win deal for Hamas and the PA. Maybe the child is shot, maybe imprisoned but in both cases it's Israel who will be blamed for being cruel to children. The person stabbed by the child is never mentioned.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

My question was rhetorical. We all know that those prisoners *were* murderers, attempted murderers, and terrorists by and large. Could there have been some that were detained without trial/charge? Sure - but we know their names. You can look them up and see folks like Nafoz Hamad who stabbed her neighbor in the back in Jeruselem, Hanan Barghouti who supported and pushed terrorism within Israel, and Israa Jabis who was captured before being a suicide bomber - just to name a few. You can look them up yourself and see how many of them are criminals who attacked, maimed, and injured others.

Sounds like the hostages taken by Hamas.

And 'women and children' are deeply involved in attacks. Sending a 13 year old to stab Israeli civilians is a win/win deal for Hamas and the PA. Maybe the child is shot, maybe imprisoned but in both cases it's Israel who will be blamed for being cruel to children. The person stabbed by the child is never mentioned.

Exactly. Hamas are the true criminals here, but for some reason a handful of people really want to label Israel as the evil and Hamas as the good guys. We all know why that is.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

The prisoner exchange isn’t the real
Issue, I think. Hamas demands a permanent ceasefire and Israeli withdrawal. Isreal rejects anything that involves Hamas coming back to power as an armed unit.

They are fine with a temporary ceasefire and hostage-prisoner exchange.

Ozriel

M$FT
Harvard's response to its own encampment:

Dear Members of the Harvard Community,

Over the last 12 days, the encampment in Harvard Yard has disrupted our educational activities and operations. The right to free speech, including protest and dissent, is vital to the work of the research university. But it is not unlimited. It must be exercised in a time, place, and manner that respects the right of our community members to do their work, pursue their education, and enjoy the opportunities that a residential campus has to offer. The encampment favors the voices of a few over the rights of many who have experienced disruption in how they learn and work at a critical time of the semester. I call on those participating in the encampment to end the occupation of Harvard Yard.

The disruptions from this encampment at the heart of the University have been numerous. Harvard College exams and other important activities and events have had to move elsewhere. Safety concerns over the past two weeks, including those raised as a result of students sleeping outdoors overnight, have required us to sharply limit access to Harvard Yard. Although some community members have said they are undisturbed by these conditions, we continue to hear reports of students whose ability to sleep, study, and move freely about the campus has been disrupted by the actions of the protesters. We are especially troubled by increasing reports that some within, and some supporting, the encampment have intimidated and harassed other members of our community. When Harvard staff have requested to see IDs in order to enforce our policies, supporters of the encampment have at times yelled at them, tried to encircle them, and otherwise interfered with their work. We have also received reports that passers-by have been confronted, surveilled, and followed. Such actions are indefensible and unacceptable.

As first-year students move out and as we begin our extensive preparations for Commencement, this ongoing violation of our policies becomes more consequential. Thousands of family members, friends, and loved ones will soon join us to celebrate the achievements of graduate and undergraduate students who have earned the right to walk in Commencement. This celebration is the culmination of years of hard work and accomplishment. The members of the Class of 2024 deserve to enjoy this milestone uninterrupted and unimpeded. It would be especially painful if students who graduated from high school or college during the pandemic were denied a full graduation ceremony for a second time.

The individuals participating in the activities of the encampment have been informed repeatedly that violations of University and School policies will be subject to disciplinary consequences and that further violations and continued escalation will result in increasingly severe sanctions. Last week, faculties across the University began delivering disciplinary notices to students who continued to participate in unauthorized, disruptive activity in the Yard despite these notices.

I write today with this simple message: The continuation of the encampment presents a significant risk to the educational environment of the University. Those who participate in or perpetuate its continuation will be referred for involuntary leave from their Schools. Among other implications, students placed on involuntary leave may not be able to sit for exams, may not continue to reside in Harvard housing, and must cease to be present on campus until reinstated.

Enforcement of these policies, which are essential to our educational mission, is an obligation we owe to our students and the Harvard community more broadly. It is not, as some have suggested, a rejection of discussion and debate about the urgent issues that concern the University, the nation, and the world. As an academic institution, we do not shy away from hard and important questions. There are many ways for our community to engage constructively in reasoned discussion of complex issues, but initiating these difficult and crucial conversations does not require, or justify, interfering with the educational environment and Harvard’s academic mission. Our disagreements are most effectively addressed through candid, constructive dialogue, building not on disruption, but on facts and reason.

Sincerely,
Alan M. Garber

Pretty good note from Harvard. Start threatening consequences. Only thing they should do is make these even stiffer, up to - and including - full expulsion.

Universities should also throw the book at non-students who are in the encampment. Charge them for criminal trespass or something

My question was rhetorical. We all know that those prisoners *were* murderers, attempted murderers, and terrorists by and large. Could there have been some that were detained without trial/charge? Sure - but we know their names. You can look them up and see folks like Nafoz Hamad who stabbed her neighbor in the back in Jeruselem, Hanan Barghouti who supported and pushed terrorism within Israel, and Israa Jabis who was captured before being a suicide bomber - just to name a few. You can look them up yourself and see how many of them are criminals who attacked, maimed, and injured others.

Purely anecdotal. It's been noted by an Israeli human rights group that they're mostly civilians.

Guantanamo Bay all over again.

To say they're mostly murders/terrorists is Orientalism.

Exactly. Hamas are the true criminals here, but for some reason a handful of people really want to label Israel as the evil and Hamas as the good guys. We all know why that is.

Purely

Bibi propped up Hamas in order to undermine the more moderate Palestinian Authority and any chances for a peace deal. He's even claimed that the best way to sabotage Palestine is to fund Hamas.

Last edited:
Claiming the detainees are all innocent and arrested just for shits and giggles is antisemitism?

Also, why is Israel detaining people if they are supposed to be carrying out a genocide? Would they not just have been killed?

wa600

Purely anecdotal. It's been noted by an Israeli human rights group that they're mostly civilians.

Guantanamo Bay all over again.

To say they're mostly murders/terrorists is Orientalism.

Purely

Bibi propped up Hamas in order to undermine the more moderate Palestinian Authority and any chances for a peace deal. He's even claimed that the best way to sabotage Palestine is to fund Hamas.

I've searched this topic and found an article. It seems older since the majority of sources seems to be from 2012. But maybe you (or anyone else) want to challenge this:

• Like the U.S., the UK, Canada, Italy, and other liberal democracies, Israel uses administrative detention to prevent terrorist acts. The policy involves detaining individuals who intelligence indicates may be planning, orchestrating, facilitating, or assisting in acts of terrorism. Other liberal democracies use this policy to control illegal immigration.
  • Administrative detention is legal under international law. A nation and occupying powers are allowed to detain individuals who pose a grave security threat but have not yet carried out criminal acts.
  • In 2012 the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) officially endorsed administrative detention as a counterterrorism tool. The GCTF is a 30 member multilateral organization which includes the U.S., EU, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Africa, New Zealand, India, and the U.A.E.
Like other democracies, Israel uses administrative detention only as a last resort when other legal channels are ineffective, inapplicable, or even counterproductive.
  • In some cases civil trials would force Israel to expose its intelligence networks as evidence. Making this information available to defendants, their attorneys, or the public would undermine counterterrorism operations by giving away secret intelligence methods and by exposing the identities of informants whose lives could be endangered. Criminal justice is not designed to prevent planned attacks, only to punish past offenses. There are cases when the risk of letting active terrorists go free is too great to make a criminal trial a suitable alternative.
  • Administrative detention is used when the laws of war are inapplicable. The laws of war allow detention of anyone identified as an enemy combatant until the end of hostilities. This is inapplicable to unconventional wars like terrorist campaigns because it is difficult to distinguish terrorists from the civilian population, and hostilities usually last much longer than conventional wars. The risk of accidentally detaining innocent people for indefinite periods is too great when relying on the laws of war.
  • The number of detainees fluctuates directly according to the level of Palestinian terrorist activity. The number of detainees dropped from a high of 1,700 in November 1989 during the first intifada to a low of 12 in December 2000, just after the Camp David negotiations. The number rose again during the terrorist campaign known as the second intifada (2000-2005), reaching a high of 1,007 in January 2003 and falling to an average of 307 per month in 2012.
  • The number of administrative detainees under the age of 18 is negligible. There were no Palestinian detainees under the age of 16 from 2006 to 2012. Terrorist groups recruit youths between the ages of 16 and 18, but still the number from this group held in administrative detention is negligible: none were held in 2012, only one in 2011, and none or only one or two were held in detention each month during 2009 and 2010, with the exception of January and February 2009, when the number went up to five or six. During 2008, when there was an increase in terrorist activity, the number fluctuated from a high of 18 in January to a low of zero in March.
Israeli law includes multiple safeguards against abuse of administrative detention.
  • Review of all intelligence and alternatives by a prosecutor: A military prosecutor must review all intelligence about the suspect and alternatives to detention before a detention order is issued. If approved by the prosecutor, the order is made by an IDF commander and carried out by the IDF.
  • Review of all intelligence and alternatives by a judge: Detainees are brought before a military district court judge who, after reviewing all the available information, approves the order, rejects it, or reduces the period of detention. Hearings are conducted in Hebrew and translated into Arabic simultaneously.
  • Right to appeal court decisions: If a detention order is approved, the detainee may appeal the decision before the military court of appeals. If the order is upheld, the detainee may appeal to Israel’s Supreme Court, which is completely independent from the military.
  • Right to legal counsel: Detainees have the right to legal counsel throughout court proceedings. They have the right to be present during all parts of the hearings except when classified intelligence is presented to and discussed by the court. In these cases general reasons for detention are provided.
  • Six-month detention limit: Detention can be renewed but only after the above process is repeated in full. The IDF commander or security services personnel must prove that the detainee continues to pose a threat.

At least on paper this sounds reasonable to me, I cant tell how it works in practice. When I see the number of 18 detainees under the age of 18 in January which fell to 0 two months later it does show to me that these people are not held 'forever' like your article makes it seem to be.
Israel is the only democracy in the world that basically lives in a permanent threat of terroristic attacks, so we cant really compare any of these numbers to countries like Japan, Italy, USA, Australia etc.

Whenever someone carries out a terror attack in the West and it turns out they were on watch lists for years people ask why they were not in jail.
Given enough terror attacks (like Israel had for decades) and you'll see lots of people locked up without trial as they had not yet done what they say they will do. Especially if it's suicide terrorism laws have no answer for beyond putting a corpse on trial.

Trunx81

Interesting how the Corona mask has become the new symbol for the pro Palestinian protesters. Picture from Berlin University today.

vImSq5Y.jpeg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Typically in Canada you dont get giant mobs or protests. You'll get some small ones that latch onto global issues, but for the most part it's tiny. Like Floyd riots and looting in the US, or some big protests even in Europe. Didn't see that much here in Toronto metro area which has got to be among the most diverse multicultural places in the world. I remember one of the biggest scenes was some music stores in Montreal got trashed and looted. Big deal.

We got some student tent cities downtown at University of Toronto. It's pretty chill. It's like they are just camping on the grass. It's stupid looking, but you dont have masses of students and riot cops clashing like idiots.

You'd think this area would be the epicentre for huge progressive movements, protests, mobs and police with billysticks trying to control the masses. And everyone would be bickering hating each other. Nope.

Guess what? Nobody really gives a shit about all this stupid shit around the world. You know why? IMO, 3 main reasons.

1. To get here you need to make your way across oceans and move here. That's going to be an obstacle for many people right away. So unfortunately for some of you in other countries, you got low brow losers making their way into your country and planting their ass on your home soil. Easier to do on foot than plane or boat.

2. Immigrating into Canada seems more difficult than other places as the requirements involve a resume-like laundry list of pointers. The higher you score, the better chance you get in. If your score sucks you have a hard time getting in. I've known locals who married someone from out of country and it took them years to be allowed in even though the local made good money! The foreigner still had to go through the process and even pay like a $1000 fee to boot. lol

3. People just like working together, graduating class and getting a job. I think a high cost of living helps quell dumb stuff because people are focused on getting a good job after graduating, workers focused on paying bills, so who has time to slum it all day protesting. You're busy with other things in life.

Add it up, and IMO the general populace just realizes to get through life smoothly you do the right thing and dont rock the boat being a rebel. You act like an adult and talk and work with other people whether it's school, work, church or buying stuff at any kind of store out there.

Some of the shit I see from around the world is nuts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom