• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harper tried to build a big tent party. His successors are burning it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Many Conservatives’ reactions to the Islamophobia motion reflect cynical motives — or cowardice

In 2006, several months after becoming prime minister, Stephen Harper traveled to Washington to meet President George W. Bush. At a private dinner hosted by Canada’s newly-appointed ambassador, Michael Wilson, the subject of diversity and immigration came up.

There, in the presence of Bush’s campaign guru Karl Rove and several U.S. cabinet ministers (Bush didn’t attend himself), Harper explained how the Liberal party had traditionally been the party of immigrants in Canada — and that he was determined to change that. He told his American guests that Canada’s immigrant communities had the right-of-centre family values that should make them feel perfectly at home in the Conservative party.

Harper then warned his guests that the Republican Party should be aware of the demographic changes that were sweeping America and made it clear that if they failed to attract the votes of Hispanic Americans, they eventually would pay a heavy electoral price.

We all know what happened since. Rove and Bush, who had been governor of Texas and understood the need for the Republicans to broaden their base, tried to do just that — and failed. Immigration reform died under an onslaught from the Tea Party and the surge of the crackpot alt-right, phenomena that eventually brought Donald Trump to the White House, with plans for a fabulous wall and a Muslim ban.

In Canada, Harper remained in power for almost a decade, helped by the split in the centre-left and the ferocious control he exercised over the motley coalition of Christian evangelicals, government-destroying libertarians and old-school Tories that constituted the Conservative Party of Canada. Through much of that time, Harper kept the lid on the nasty xenophobic elements in his party and actually made significant inroads in certain communities of new Canadians with the help of Jason Kenney, who continues to argue in favour of open borders and against Trump’s Muslim ban.

Stephen Harper may have had plenty of shortcomings, but he was no bigot.

It all came apart in the final desperate days of the 2015 election, of course, when a desperate Conservative party cavorted openly with anti-immigrant voters and launched the ill-fated ‘barbaric cultural practices’ snitch line. Since their defeat, the Conservatives have been flailing around looking for direction. Devoid of attractive alternatives who can actually unify the party and make it a viable centre-right option, the leadership race has devolved into a mosh pit of candidates who will literally say anything to get attention.

The truth is that there’s pressure on Conservative leadership candidates to keep the back door open to the Islamaphobe vote. How else can you explain Leitch’s posting of a photo of a (blue-eyed) young woman wearing spaghetti straps, her lips sealed with a tape marked M-103, the number of Khalid’s motion? In the background is a faint image of police officers on Parliament Hill — a not-so-subtle reference to the 2014 attack on the Commons.

Then there’s candidate Pierre Lemieux (whoever he is), who said that Islamophobia isn’t at the forefront of discussion and isn’t a problem in Canada. He clearly hasn’t been watching the news for the past month. Maxime Bernier says he’s worried the motion would restrict freedom to criticize Islam — and then somehow managed to link its passage to support for Sharia law.

Backbench Conservatives have been no better. MP Marilyn Gladu said she worries that she could be accused of Islamophobia if she voiced the concern that ISIS terrorists would want to rape and behead her. By even suggesting that equivalence, our enlightened MP demonstrates that she clearly has issues of her own.

Of the candidates for leadership, only the thoughtful and eminently reasonable Michael Chong has said he would support the motion. Others are openly hostile, or are trying to slither out of supporting it. Not an edifying sight.

Mélanie Joly, the Heritage minister, is actually right when she says that these Conservatives “are scared of denouncing Islamophobia and by not denouncing Islamophobia, they are actually contributing to the problem.”

There are Conservatives who think they can make short-term gains on this score, maybe even win the party’s leadership. Perhaps I’m overly optimistic, but I don’t think this is a winning electoral strategy for them — except with the die-hard 30 per cent (or less) of voters who don’t like all these foreigners and would like a return to a white, Christian, unilingual Canada.

And getting on the Trump train after the chaos of the past month might not be such a smart idea, especially if it’s heading for a major derailment.

I thought I’d heard enough from Stephen Harper to last me another lifetime. On this matter, I’d like to know what he has to say.

Ogodei

He started the fire, though, as the article points out.

2000s Harper and 2010s Harper do feel like different people, though. Maybe his earlier thoughts were disingenuous and he thought that paeans to tolerance where what he needed to stay afloat politically, and then as he kept consolidating power realized he didn't need to pretend to care any longer.

He started the fire, though, as the article points out.

2000s Harper and 2010s Harper do feel like different people, though. Maybe his earlier thoughts were disingenuous and he thought that paeans to tolerance where what he needed to stay afloat politically, and then as he kept consolidating power realized he didn't need to pretend to care any longer.

Yep, this was all rooted in Harper. After the niqab ruling, he went completely off the rails. The Conservative Party is basically picking up right where it left off.

Harper and Kenny used the Liberal playbook to steal the ethnic minority votes in suburbia.

Harper used "it's the economy stupid" route with Kenny going locally convincing them that Conservative values are the same as theirs.

2006 and 2011.

Harper fucked up in 2015 though

I mean, as far as conservative leaders go, I'd rather Harper than lots of others (not a great contest) , but by the end, you could tell he was getting too cheeky with his powers.

The unfortunate baggage of anti-science and anti-information that comes from the right really hurt as well. There's "I don't care about the enviroment" and "I don't even want to check if I should care about the enviroment".

I hate whoever misconstrued tradition and traditional knowledge with "even empirical evidence is overrided by whatever I think is right".

Layell

Harper combined two right wing parties and became the de-facto leader with an iron first, everything had to come through the PMO. This resulted in few right-wing politicans being able to really prove themselves. Now that he's out it's open season, Kenney one of the most obvious successors to the throne seems fine in Alberta, and nobody else seems to be the heir apparent.

The appeal to Islamaphobia is an easy way to get broad and vocal support, although they have to realize that it was part of the reason they lost to Trudeau.

Mr.Mike

There is definitely some dissatisfaction among Conservatives with the current state of affairs.

http://www.greaterfool.ca/2017/02/17/culture-of-envy/

Seems we hit a spot where the 99% hate the 1%. Where Millennials despise Boomers. Where the houseless blame immigrants. Workers hate bosses. The surprising pro-Brexit, pro-Trump sentiment here (now morphing into pro-O’Leary) shows many people want to elect and support disruptors, blow up the status quo and dismantle elites. When the POTUS can stand in a presser and call the reporters he summoned “fake news”, then speak proven falsehoods and is cheered on by his supporters, we’re clearly on a dangerous voyage.

Edelman Canada’s a marketing outfit that polls people so it can help companies sell stuff. The result is a Trust Barometer. And the latest one’s a shocker.

Faith in business, politicians or reporters is at low tide. Populism’s on the rise, fueled in no small way by the power of social media – allowing like-minded groups of people to find each other, bypass mainstream thought, and coalesce into armies. Brexit was won through YouTube. Trump triumphed with Twitter. CNN or the New York Times, meanwhile, have been trashed and marginalized. News is now what you agree with. What you don’t, is fake.

Edelman found 61% of Canadians have lost faith in leaders. Eighty per cent think elites are out of touch. Half believe immigrants are bad. A third feel free trade is wrong. Over half (55%) said they don’t listen to news they disagree with and are 3.5 times more likely to ignore facts supporting a position they don’t support.

Trump knows all this. He can claim to have received the most electoral support “since Ronald Reagan”, call Mexicans “rapists”, suggest Muslims are terrorists or claim there were three million illegal voters, and get away with it. In Canada our leaders know they can claim that by vacuuming a relative handful of rich everyone else will get more. It’s what people wish to think. It’s popular. So it’s fact.

As society drifts to the extremes, middle ground is being lost. No shock that “progressive conservatives” no longer exist, replaced by hard-right Cons and increasingly leftist Libs. In the US election three months ago public sentiment was split right down the middle. In Canada we have a majority government elected by a minority of voters. Common ground is uncommon. It’s as if there’s no longer any unity of purpose. About anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom