• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Anyone Been to Gamescom?

clarky

Gold Member
As per the title.

Me and a pal might take the trip from the UK this year as a weekend break, (well Wednesday to Saturday) and take the show in at the same time.

How's the show in general?

Is it way too busy to even bother?

1 day enough to see everything?

Any advice or experiences shared would be gratefully received.

calistan

Gold Member
I went a couple of times for work, in the early days of the show. It was not much fun, just completely rammed with people. Really hot weather and a seething mass of people wearing backpacks and getting in my way as they went hunting for swag.

Got pretty drunk in some bar one night. There was a horrible sewer smell that seemed to bubble up from the bar urinals, which were in a festering basement. As the evening went on it seeped up through the drains into the streets until the whole area was enveloped in a stench most foul. Cologne.

I was there once many years ago and found it a little frustrating: if you want to try out something popular, you have to stand in line for a long time.

clarky

Gold Member
I was there once many years ago and found it a little frustrating: if you want to try out something popular, you have to stand in line for a long time.
Hmm yeah i've been to a few shows like that, i was hoping they'd figured things out a little better by now.

clarky

Gold Member
I went a couple of times for work, in the early days of the show. It was not much fun, just completely rammed with people. Really hot weather and a seething mass of people wearing backpacks and getting in my way as they went hunting for swag.

Got pretty drunk in some bar one night. There was a horrible sewer smell that seemed to bubble up from the bar urinals, which were in a festering basement. As the evening went on it seeped up through the drains into the streets until the whole area was enveloped in a stench most foul. Cologne.
Sounds right up my street. To be honest its a good excuse for a boys weekend, the show would be a bonus but nothing good has been said so far lol.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Probably invented cologne because of that.

Fbh

Not personally, but back when I lived in Europe I knew a couple of people who went and both of them told me it wasn't really worth it.
It's apparently super crowded and if you want to play anything popular you'll be waiting in line for multiple hours.
I guess if you just want to walk around, get the vibe and try out some indies it might be enjoyable. But it doesn't seem worth the trip to me (specially if it involves a flight + hotels just to get there)

Bungie

My girlfriend sprained her ankle there, so be careful of the concrete steps, the drop off is bigger than you think & what most are saying is on point. Bring a steam deck or something for the wait.

clarky

Gold Member
Well, looks like I'm telling the Mrs im going to gamescom and going to Berlin or Munich instead then. Thanks for the advice.

ScHlAuChi

I have been there every year for work.
As a normal visitor it would be way too annoying.
As long as you stick to the huge retro area and the indies, you should still have some fun!
Just dont expect to play any of the popular stuff without waiting for a long time!
That said, usually they reward people with goodies, like T-Shirts etc.

ScHlAuChi

This could work. Thanks for the input.
If you can, avoid saturday, thats usually the worst day - its probably better to go friday, and then check out cologne on sat.
And be prepared to go there early as the official opening time is 10:00, but people line up 2-3 hours before that so they can get in faster.
Otherwise it could still take more than an hour before you get in, as they have to security check everyone. So just be prepared ;)

clarky

Gold Member
If you can, avoid saturday, thats usually the worst day - its probably better to go friday, and then check out cologne on sat.
And be prepared to go there early as the official opening time is 10:00, but people line up 2-3 hours before that so they can get in faster.
Otherwise it could still take more than an hour before you get in, as they have to security check everyone. So just be prepared ;)
Thanks, I was thinking of going Wednesday to Saturday so that would work.

ScHlAuChi

Thanks, I was thinking of going Wednesday to Saturday so that would work.
Wednesday is for Special Visitors only, like media etc - if you can get such a ticket, then even better - as wednesday is the least busiest day.
If you cant get such a ticket, then you have to be lucky, as they let in "Wildcards" starting 13:00 on wed.
So the chance is low, your best bet is Thursday then.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Wednesday is only for Special Visitors - if you can get such a ticket, then even better - as wednesday is the best least busiest day.
If you cant get such a ticket, then you have to be lucky, as they let in "Wildcards" starting 13:00 on wed.
So the chance is low, your best bet is Thursday then.
Yeah sorry i'd be flying Wednesday, so would have Thursday and Friday for the show or sight seeing. I think thats the plan then if the show is too busy we'll just hit the town.

Top Bottom