• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead 1 & 2 are coming to Nintendo Switch

Andyliini

Gold Member
I just saw this article on Nintendo Life.

I'm posting this as rumour, because the source is polish, and the full extent of this news is not completely clear yet.
Anyway, Forever Entertainment, who is also working on Panzer Dragoon remake, is reportedly working on bringing Sega's legendary light-gun games to Switch.
It is currently unknown wether Switch is the only platform they appear on. The series is known for it's bottom-tier voice acting.

Knightime_X

I never knew the game for its voice acting, more about zombie shooting.
But it's probably fair to say that voice acting is at the bottom of things I care about.
See ps1 Castlevania Symphony of the Night's amazing voice acting.

From what I heard the Joycons aren't exactly good for these types of games, needing to constantly be reset to the middle of the screen. Wonder how they're gonna handle this if it is a thing.

Dane

Played the two games like hell, especially the second one which had lots of unlockable guns. Funny enough, it would be a great title for Kinect, Move and VR too.

Last edited:
So they're remakes? They better not "fix" the voice acting in HotD2.

Though it seems unlikely to ever happen, I really just want an arcade perfect port of HotD1. Preferably to a system with something resembling a lightgun. =P

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Meh, without a lightgun that is more accurate than the WIimote or PS Move/Aim or GunCon 3 or AimTrak and similar stuff, more akin to current PC VR controllers or even the coming Sinden lightgun/polymega lightgun which can replicate the accuracy of the real arcade stuff in practice, no thanks.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This voice acting is Evil Dead level of so bad that is good
"SOPHIE!"
"We're meeting G over there"
"How could anyone do this?"
"Suffer like G did"
"No more fooling around"
"Show yourself! Our new ruler, the Emperor"
"I shall destroy.... and hate mankind"

Overkill is the best HOTD.

SUFFER LIKE G DID

"You ever gonna tell me what the motherfuckin' G stands for?"
"No."
The only problem with this game is because it's easy as fuck. First run and I didn't use a continue, and I'm not sure if has because it's health based
Also, the Wii version is the best one

Romulus

That is what needs to happen with a number of arcade shooters and should have happened by now.

Time Crisis/House of the Dead PSVR pack.

Rush of Blood and Blood and Truth are great evolutions to the genre but yeah, I'd love TC/House of the Dead pack

Last edited:
The only problem with this game is because it's easy as fuck. First run and I didn't use a continue, and I'm not sure if has because it's health based
Also, the Wii version is the best one
I think it's because arcade games need to be very hard since you need to make money through difficulty in arcades, otherwise people won't keep spending money on continues. This is why many of the old arcade games had ridiculous levels of artificial difficulty.

As a home console game, Overkill didn't need to be hard but it did need to account for the limitations of using Wiimotes for the gun, input lag and motion blur from most TV's, the low resolution of the Wii, and other factors. So they made it easier than the arcade titles.

The Wii version was very dark and blurry as fuck in horrendous 480i. The PS3 version, running in 720p and with a much better default brightness setting, was a huge improvement over the Wii version.

Last edited:

Kazza

With the first Panzer Dragoon (and to a lesser extent Zwei) I felt that a remake was needed, but I think these games (the arcade versions at least) looked and played just fine, and a straight HD port would have been fine. Sega's Model 2 era arcade games pretty much all still look and play great as they are.

Still, looking forward to what the studio creates with these.

Last edited:

INC

Gold Member
Why titles like this arent on psvr is beyond me, wheres my time crisis and virtual cop (vrcade isnt far off)

nush

Gold Member
2019, time for some outrage that the HOTD soundtrack uses audio from the Challenger disaster! /S

The first game could use a remake to bring it up to today's standards. The second game? Maybe. If it's a vast improvement, and maybe expanded, why not?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I think it's because arcade games need to be very hard since you need to make money through difficulty in arcades, otherwise people won't keep spending money on continues. This is why many of the old arcade games had ridiculous levels of artificial difficulty.

As a home console game, Overkill didn't need to be hard but it did need to account for the limitations of using Wiimotes for the gun, input lag and motion blur from most TV's, the low resolution of the Wii, and other factors. So they made it easier than the arcade titles.

The Wii version was very dark and blurry as fuck in horrendous 480i. The PS3 version, running in 720p and with a much better default brightness setting, was a huge improvement over the Wii version.
Difficulty in games are a relative thing because we have hard games since ever. It's not a matter of arcade

Time Crisis 1 and 2 got full ports with limitations and stuff, so the blur and whatever was more an artistic direction to pass the limitation. Remember Sillent Hill? Same situation

PS3 look like that the people is washed up with oil, they move weird, the camera cuts are mostly in the wrong time, and the voice acting doesn't match the movement of the characters. It's a shit show of direction

dan76

Day one, and I don't even own a switch. One on these consoles has to start hosting classic lightgun games, please.

How will the controls be handled? These games aren't very good if you're playing them with a cursor, though that's pretty much true for any lightgun game.

Kazza

How will the controls be handled? These games aren't very good if you're playing them with a cursor, though that's pretty much true for any lightgun game.

Yeah, they really need to develop a light gun to go with these. I wonder if they could utilise similar technology as in this kickstarter. It looks promising:

Last edited:
Gyro just won't cut it so a dedicated light gun would be a good idea, but the problem is how many games choose to support it. Could become a wasted peripheral if it's just going to be used for a couple of games. But having a joy con in one hand for movement & controls and a light gun in the other hand could work well for certain games.

Bullet Club

Banned
  • Both titles will be developed by MegaPixel Studio, and the first entry is due out before the end of 2020.
  • Both titles will feature new graphics to suit modern standards and slightly modified gameplay, while fully preserving the original scenarios.
  • A look at the first game will be shared in the coming months.

Top Bottom