• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I thought that game would do way better than it did."

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are there any games you recall from the last 10 or so years that you thought would be a much larger hit than it turned out to be? Any surprise bombs you didn't see coming? I feel like most of us can list a dozen plus surprise hits so shouldn't we be able to do the opposite as well?

Last edited:

Akuji

Halo infinite
Hellblade 2
Redfall come to mind.

Microsoft had some nothingburgers.
Rest i cant remember, i never expected fortnite to be as big as it is.
Same with roblox. Heared of it when it was already massive.

Sleepwalker

I really thought PES going free to play would help it do better and claw back market from fifa, but it was shit and is pretty much nothing at this point lol

kunonabi

Other M. I absolutely adored it and it was the first Metroid game I had enjoyed since the first prime. I didn't go on the internet at all until I finished it and I was expecting to just have conversations gushing over it.

That... did not happen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Starfield. I thought it would actually move the needle for Xbox. Not by a lot.

Instead...no console sales increase, minimal increase in Game Pass subscriptions.

Totally came and went.

The shills are trying their hardest to convince the world that this game was a success, but it wasn't.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Demon Souls remake.

Appeared on a ton of wishlists and hopes, and the reaction to the reveal was wild.

It didn’t sell that much.

Halo Infinite

After the MP being hailed for the gunplay and with it being F2P, I assumed it’d have a great population. Declined fast.

Alan Wake 2.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Halo Infinite
The Halo Infinite multiplayer praise really made me realize how clueless most are when it comes to multiplayer. Crazy how positive the buzz was at launch.

After a couple hours into it, I turned into Jim Ryan. "Who would play this?"

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Small budget Indie:

- Salt and Sacrifice: I hoped for a "more and better" and instead we got something we didn't ask for.

PS first party:

- Ratchet and Clank: prettier and flashier, but not the generational leap it needed.

- Returnal: a great game impacted by atrocious marketing.

- Demons Souls Remake: another great game with very little success, which I really don't understand given that Souls are popular Today.

Big budget indie:

- Wuthering Waves: immense disappointment. I expected something much more unique and different from Genshin. It looks like it's succeeding right now, but it's not.

Last edited:
Mainly the Square Enix PS5 exclusives of late.
- Ratchet and Clank: prettier and flashier, but not the generational leap it needed.

These stick out to me as well, but then I look at the off-putting character designs and see why. People don't want to be bait and switched into playing a different character. Rivet is lame and hurt R&C, IMO. Also, the main character in Returnal is just not someone the audience for the game would identify with. It was a dumb call. I would throw Alan Wake 2 in this camp as well. I wanted to play as Alan, not as Saga. She would have been fine for the recent DLC release instead.

Last edited:

Zadom

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
I enjoyed it but apparently was a failure in sales. And they did a good job on the characters.
1RF5cVO.jpeg

Atomic Heart. Almost a spiritual successor to bioshock, and way better than previous games, surprised it didn't get more recognition.

$60 asking price from a new, small IP with a $40 season pass was the deal breaker for me.

- Salt and Sacrifice: I hoped for a "more and better" and instead we got something we didn't ask for.

- Demons Souls Remake: another great game with very little success, which I really don't understand given that Souls are popular Today.

Enjoyed the first one but never played the second as it looked identical. What was the core issue with SaS as you saw it?

Demon's Souls is probably #1 for me as well. This message board is an echo chamber and after all the calls for a Bloodborne remake/remaster I thought this would be an evergreen title for millions and millions.

The Halo Infinite multiplayer praise really made me realize how clueless most are when it comes to multiplayer. Crazy how positive the buzz was at launch.

After a couple hours into it, I turned into Jim Ryan. "Who would play this?"

The multiplayer is fun, there’s just literally nothing to really progress

So you play for the enjoyment only

AREYOUOKAY?

Overwatch 2

Or well it would have if Activision didn’t sabotage development and cancel almost all of the promised features and turned it into a laughingstock scam which resulted in deserved mass negative user review spamming.

Just an unfinished and will never be finished game at this point. PVE with a plot that will never be resolved after being cancelled.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do people even read the title of the topic? :lollipop_squinting:

Post dark souls and elden ring i thought dogma2 and demons remake were about to be bigger hits tbh.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Omitting games that were just not as good as anticipated, like Starfield and Halo Infinite. These are all games on my shelf so don't blame me.

Neo TWEWY, game got rave reviews, the ports of the original were popular, but it just seems like nobody bothered.

Pillars of Eternity 2 - I believe this bomba was the one that forced Obsidian to sell out. They thought they had a new path forward as an independent developer, POE1 was a huge hit, the fundraising for POE2 was solid, but nobody else really cared.

PoP Lost Crown, basically the high production value Metroid-style game that people always say they want, outside of the annoying parryshit it's great, but nobody cared.

Guardian of the Galaxy - game got great reviews, excellent graphics, in a franchise people like, but again, nobody seemed to care. One of the better capeshit games that just flopped.

Rock Band 4 - people were begging for a new game, they made a new game, it really was good and well supported, and nobody bought it. Now the instruments are rare and expensive again lmao.

Mario + Rabbits Sparks of Hope - great sequel to a popular game, it took way too long to come out but it really seems like they worked hard to make a great game, this genre is still popular, but people just moved on.

Dead Space - great remake of the first game, survival horror is having a moment, I really dont know why it didn't land, maybe the delay into January hurt it.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Are there any games you recall from the last 10 or so years that you thought would be a much larger hit than it turned out to be? Any surprise bombs you didn't see coming? I feel like most of us can list a dozen plus surprise hits so shouldn't we be able to do the opposite as well?
Starfield... The thread

(And a shout-out to Halo Infinite, funny the title is infinite when it's basically a single biome)

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
I enjoyed it but apparently was a failure in sales. And they did a good job on the characters.
1RF5cVO.jpeg

What a hidden gem this game is. I played it last year and was very impressed with it. It has aged very well and it proves Ninja Theory can make fun gameplay (which they didn't in Hellblade I-II).

Alan Wake

Starfield. But I don't think it deserved much better.

Recently: Alone in the Dark. I knew it wouldn't do Resident Evil numbers, but when they delayed it to avoid the busy month of October it felt like it could work. Apparently it didn't and that's a shame. I really like this game, it's old school and full of charm and thought it did not deserve all the 4/10 it got.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Enslaved. It’s a freaking awesome. World is cool, gameplay is great, word of mouth is good. It still failed to perform.

Fbh

Not that it bombed or anything but I thought FF7 Remake would be a bigger deal given how it broke the gaming side of the internet when it was first announced.
Despite still being pretty successful I guess the whole concept of diving it up into multiple parts and changing the combat really did kill a lot of the hype and interest.

Guardian of the Galaxy - game got great reviews, excellent graphics, in a franchise people like, but again, nobody seemed to care. One of the better capeshit games that just flopped.

I blame this on the marketing. The trailers weren't that great and for some reason they decide to show some of worst parts during the gameplay demos.
I had little to no interest in it at launch, only played it much later because of the decent word of mouth (and it was on Ps+) and really enjoyed it

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
You honestly thought Redfall would be good?

That game had disaster written all over it.
Yes. Because before they actually showed footage and we knew about the issues behind doors people thought it would be better, because Arkane. Much like Suicide Squad, because Rocksteady. Everything changed the more we saw it, but initial thoughts were positive, much like the question is asking.

Arachnid

Dishonored and Prey both deserved better. They were some of the best immersive sims of all time, and they underperformed.

POKEYCLYDE

I thought Brink was going to be big. I was obsessed with the hype running up into the game. Then it launched in an absolutely unplayable state. Bare bones content. The biggest let down.

Lokaum D+

PS first party:

- Demons Souls Remake: another great game with very little success, which I really don't understand given that Souls are popular today.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Last edited:
The two or three games I wish that should have made a bigger impact are:
a) Mirrors Edge
I still feel like we never got what the very first trailer promised. Just parkour. But they had to add some combat in the first one, and then doubled down on that in Catalyst, even added open world I never like and made the story into some implausible big rebellion. Less janky, but further away from what I initially dreamt of. Ghostrunner or Titanfall or Dying Light or Sands of Time (or coming Perfect Dark) or whatever isn't that either. So I am still waiting.
b) Metroid Prime
Backtracking done right, without feeling clueless of what is when possible now or only later, going aimlessly back and dorth. I feel like Bioshock and Dead Space would both have benefitted if they had tried to be like that.
Also being really solo somewhere is underused in games. Returnal does that too- or the kinda not really but somewhat similar Farpoint-, but its rogue shit is something I probably can't like ever.
c) Brütal Legend
People seemed to not get it, not at all. Sure, the demo was different, but also not. It kinda was ahead of its time with having MOBA style gameplay mixed with hack and slash. I don't even like metal, most of the soundtrack's songs annoy me after hearing them a third time, but I think most other people enjoy metal quite a bit and the soundtrack is objectively insanely packed. Most seemed to not be able to wrap their heads around the gameplay though. I wish more game would mix genres in new ways.

Also Remember Me which felt like an unpolished diamond, pretty much everything felt alright to good, nevertheless one of the best almost done right games in the PS360 era.

Maybe as a second honorable mention Alone in the Dark Inferno Edition, which kinda did what I think would be nice. GEt rid of true gaming in the game in some way. Not really QTE , not at all, but in it allowing to skip entire scenes, just act like a game is a videotape and fast forward whenever you like:
So in general I wish more QTE games/modes would exist. Even more than Asura's wrath actually is! ie the knife fight of RE4, some events of GoW etc but for entire games. For all sorts of things. Sports and racing classics, fighting games, action and strategy games etc. change the real outcome into making your team win, the underdog surprise even more, or let the hero die early like in Quantic Dream games, annihilate armies by ordering it, without micro manage it with thousands of clicks. As a focused no BS game or game mode, just interactive, barely game, for non gamers and gamers with time constraints. Still a notch above watching let's plays, while certainly less effort than trudging through often way too cluttered and huge shit we more and more get, with neverending seasons and bascially the credits goalpost moved. An option for the unsuccessful 10h game. Also offering experiences that could be done as a companion thing with TV or netflix stuff. Do alternate takes which are only accessible through the game, were some characters face a whole different fade if you choose and want to see it. Hard for high budget stuff in the near future, but making it for telenovelas and other rather cheap stuff, could work fine. 3D scanning, AI writing, AI actors might enable all sorts of stuff, soonish.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
It'd be Dragon's Dogma 2 for me.

Had a lot of fun for more than 130 hours with it, yet I was still disappointed since many fans (myself included) were expecting a much better game.
Other than being on a current platform, I find the game to be strictly worse than the first one. I'm not saying I get around, but I haven't heard or read a thing about the game since release. I just traded my copy in for $60 to get something that I will actually play.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Other than being on a current platform, I find the game to be strictly worse than the first one. I'm not saying I get around, but I haven't heard or read a thing about the game since release. I just traded my copy in for $60 to get something that I will actually play.
I wouldn't say it's strictly worse.

Better: overall combat, vocations are more distinct and developed, world is more varied and interesting to explore.
Worse: dungeon variety, story, characters.
Same: lack of challenge.

Just my opinion ofc. Wonder if they'll do some DLC, adding a big dungeon like DA did with more enemy variety would be cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom