• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN]Xbox Just Had its Best Showcase Ever – and at the Perfect Time

gokurho

ChatGPT:
The Xbox Games Showcase 2024, hailed as one of Microsoft's best showings ever, came at a crucial time for Xbox, significantly boosting engagement within the gaming community. The showcase was packed with high-profile game reveals and updates, highlighting the diversity and strength of Xbox's upcoming lineup.
In summary, the Xbox Games Showcase 2024 succeeded in reigniting enthusiasm and engagement among gamers with its strong lineup and strategic timing. The blend of new game reveals, updates on existing franchises, and hardware improvements underscored Xbox's commitment to delivering compelling gaming experiences.
Amid multiple leaks and rumors, we had a decent idea of what was going to be at this year’s Xbox Games Showcase with seemingly plenty to get excited about. But when the Showcase finally aired, Microsoft did the near-impossible for any company in a fickle social media-fueled age: they exceeded expectations and drew almost universal acclaim. Eighty-four percent of the 10,000+ voters in my X poll graded it an ‘A’ on the academic scale. Ninety-five percent gave it an ‘A’ or ‘B’.
A home run like this would be welcome at any time, but it’s an especially fortuitous one now for both Xbox fans and, no doubt, Xbox employees alike.
While Xbox’s best showcase ever can’t erase the human impact on the laid-off developers nor reignite the creative embers that have been snuffed out at the shut-down studios, it is the best way for fans who remain invested in the Xbox ecosystem to move forward with confidence and excitement for the future of the platform. And my goodness did that top-to-bottom brilliant showcase give me confidence and excitement for Xbox.
Head of Xbox Phil Spencer could barely contain his excitement on stage in announcing Doom: The Dark Ages, a bold, more melee combat-intensive prequel in id Software's brilliantly revived and historically iconic first-person shooter franchise.
In fact, Xbox's 2024 Games Showcase was so spectacular and packed with huge first-party games that I didn't even notice that two of their biggest pillars were missing: Halo and Forza. Granted, I wasn't expecting anything from Halo, as we're still only 2.5 years past Halo Infinite's release. But Forza? Surely a new Forza Horizon – arguably Xbox's most consistently brilliant franchise – is in the works! If you're Microsoft, you know you've had a heck of a showcase when Halo and Forza can stay home and nobody seems to mind.
If this stellar showcase reaffirmed anything for both Microsoft and Xbox fans alike, it's that a powerful console is great, and Xbox Game Pass offers a nice value option, but a consistent diet of top-shelf games is what matters more than anything else. More of this please, Microsoft.

Porcile

", but it’s an especially fortuitous one now for both Xbox fans and, no doubt, Xbox employees alike."

Yes, I'm guessing the employees who just got fired are feeling very fortuitous right now.

Doom85

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

I think people might be overestimating how good this was, especially they got so used to expecting little from Xbox recently. The fact that the author admits little was expected speaks volumes.

Like, some games were non-exclusive, I still am not interested in a first person Indiana Jones (and even then, it looked rough), Avowed and Perfect Dark looked good but nothing amazing, Starfield DLC probably isn’t going to win people who were uninterested over, etc. I’ll give it Gears but I have no interest in any of that series but good for its fans.

Unknown?

Remember when other platform holders got chastised for showing stuff that wasn't exclusive and far out from releasing? Guess Sony and Nintendo can show off stuff from Ubisoft, EA, and other 3rd parties and be BEST EVER!

ZehDon

Frankly, there aren't many Xbox conferences that stick out to me for positive reasons, so I'd have to go back and watch their prior shows for comparison. It was definitely a good show - one they sorely needed - but I don't think it was an all timer.

For Sony, their most memorable conferences are also their best: E3 of Dreams or the E3 PS4 Price Announcement. Legendary shows that will be talked about for decades. Xbox has never climbed to those heights in my eyes. Their most memorable conference is the legendarily bad TV TV TV Sports Xbone reveal.

LakeOf9

I mean they did have a great showing, but at the worst time possible. if they had had this showing even a year ago, I think the sales of their console would not have declined to such a degree that a multiplatform initiative beyond the contractual ABK stuff was ever necessary. I think having such a great showing AFTER they have already thrown in the proverbial towel only makes this entire situation sad. It was the best showing possible, just at the worst possible time.

CLW

I mean this is the company that did

TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS TV TV TV TV…..

to sell a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE

saintjules

Xbox has had nothing but very good Showcases for the past 3 years. That is not the problem. The problem is delivering. That is where they've continually stumbled.

Can the showcase be good if they ultimately underdeliver what they showcase in the first place? 🧠

Rockman33

Funny how offended people are that Xbox had a fantastic show.

-New game announcements
-Mostly AAA games
-Very little corporate talk
-Very few CGI only trailers
-Large amount of gameplay

I get how games don’t always speak to everyone the same. But objectively this was one of the best produced and executed showcases in a long ass time.

In my personal opinion if Xbox keeps this cadence of Developer Directs in the beginning of the year. Blowout in the middle and a few things at the game awards show I think that is a winning formula.

clarky

Gold Member
Can the showcase be good if they ultimately underdeliver what they showcase in the first place? 🧠
Absolutely. IF all the games shown yesterday turn out mid (entirely possible) we don't have a recount on the rate the show thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom