• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel to Improve CPU IPC with a new architecture every year for the next 3 years.

Leonidas

trkJ7WT.jpg

Sunny Cove launched last year, mobile only.
Willow Cove launches this year on mobile and may also come to desktop in the form of Rocket Lake.

Golden Cove and Ocean Cove are what interest me though.

Insane if true. 50-80% IPC increase for Golden Cove and Ocean Cove over the fastest Intel desktop today would be a game changer.
I will upgrade whenever any CPU beats Skylake derivatives gaming performance, which will be 5+ years old by the time it is beaten.

Hmm his is really interesting news. Looks to me that Intel the sleeping giant has been woken if true.

Is it a true architecture re-write though or is it still just incremental on the Sandy Bridge design?

I still think AMD have a couple of years lead simply for PCI-E support atm but I love this competition in the hardware space it’s about time after a ~ten year slow period.

Last edited:

CobraXT

Banned
i doubt intel can make 7 nm chips in 2022 or even at all .. maybe they could steal-licence tsmc tech to do it .. but then if they do this their newer chips will definitely not clock as high as their 14+++++ nm ones .. which means their newer chips will have worse single core performance .. btw .. tsmc is ready to produce 5nm chips .. by 2022 they could be ready to produce 3 nm chips if this even possible ''probably it will be fake 3 nm but still higher density''

Will those be a completely new architectures, build from the ground up, or just yet another iteration of Skylake, just in different processes/higher clocks?

intel problem is not the design of their cpus.. but their manufacturing process ..its a much bigger problem ..

Last edited:

Leonidas

Will those be a completely new architectures, build from the ground up, or just yet another iteration of Skylake, just in different processes/higher clocks?

Yes, Sunny Cove is a new arch, it launched last year on mobile with confirmed 18% IPC.

Rocket Lake (2020-2021) will be the first departure from Skylake on desktop.

but then if they do this their newer chips will definitely not clock as high as their 14+++++ nm ones .. wich means their newer chips will have worse single core performance

If 50-80% IPC is true that, will overcome any clock-speed advantage 14nm has. A 4 GHz Ocean Cove could be 40+% faster than Skylake at 5 GHz.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
That's great and all, but freakin' move to 7nm+ already, the gains are remarkable considering they've stayed on the same node for years.
You can only do the same thing so many times before consumers get fedup, no matter how much sweet you try and make it sound.

Leonidas

That's great and all, but freakin' move to 7nm+ already, the gains are remarkable considering they've stayed on the same node for years.
You can only do the same thing so many times before consumers get fedup, no matter how much sweet you try and make it sound.

Architecture matters more than the node. I'd take best gaming performance on 14+ over less gaming performance on 7/10 any day of the week.

Shin

Banned
Architecture matters more than the node. I'd take best gaming performance on 14+ over less gaming performance on 7/10 any day of the week.
You're stating the obvious and it has been displayed by Intel for years now that they out of everyone is capable to remain competitive on the same node while their competitors require 7nm.
That doesn't change what I've said or we might as well have stayed on Intel 4004 - yeah I don't think so.

Kenpachii

Just move to 5nm in 2022 and be done with it.

Anyway this news is pretty bad for AMD, if intel is moving to lower nm's that could very well mean amd will fall behind drastically. They better release that 4000 series fast and start prepping for 5nm if i was them to keep the ball rolling.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Then why do you care so much about them getting to 7nm+ already?
I believe you're capable of reading, I wasn't born twice so I won't be repeating myself.
If you feel you need to protect them because you're their lovechild then by all means carry on with the sales pitch(es).

7nm was scheduled for 2021 IIRC according to Anandtech, now WCCHTech or whoever is claiming 2023 - fuck that.

Leonidas

I believe you're capable of reading, I wasn't born twice so I won't be repeating myself.
If you feel you need to protect them because you're their lovechild then by all means carry on with the sales pitch(es).

7nm was scheduled for 2021 IIRC according to Anandtech, now WCCHTech or whoever is claiming 2023 - fuck that.

You still failed to portray why you are so fascination with Intel 7nm, which is obviously years away, instead you went for a straw-man, "we aren't on ancient process".

Last edited:

Sophist

lel, sure. i remember when John Shen announced that 12 ghz CPUs will succeed pentium 4.

Last edited:

Leonidas

fuck all these coves, what is this shit

this was not the road map last i looked

Sunny Cove = Ice Lake, already launched on mobile with +18% IPC, but didn't come to desktop but is coming to Servers soon.
Willow Cove = Tiger Lake, this year on mobile. Presumably also Rocket Lake on desktop.
Golden Cove = Alder Lake, this is the CPU I'm most excited about since it's IPC improvements should make a joke of current gen CPUs, but it ain't launching any time soon.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like the same changes they have with Pentium 4 to mobile Banias/Dothan that ended being base for the Core that basically dominated for over 10 years.

If it is true then it is really big news.

Last edited:

llien

Anyway this news is pretty bad for AMD, if intel is moving to lower nm's that could very well mean amd will fall behind drastically.
AMD has mobile chips beating Intel's desktop, dude. Check what Renoir can do.

Intel is not using 10nm for desktop as they cannot push clock high enough. AMD compensates for it with higher IPC.

Shin

Banned
You still failed to portray why you are so fascination with Intel 7nm, which is obviously years away, instead you went for a straw-man, "we aren't on ancient process".
The failure is on your part and thinking and explanation is required for something that's in front of your nose.
It's called evolution, staying on the same node is being stagnant, that stagnation is what help AMD catch up and it bit them in the ass.
By your logic or lack therof why does the world evolve, why do companies release new products when they can rehash same for years?

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yeah, Intel's true reaction to the Ryzen processors will be glorious. All that R&D money eventually will end up paying off. I'm holding off for their first DDR5 CPUs.

CobraXT

Banned
Yeap but Pentinum M Banias/Dothan happened that changed the game forever.

intel does have some keen interest in everything that is from israel to the point that they blew 15 billion dollars on
israeli company called mobileye .. turns out that buying this company was a terrible idea . Their self- driving tech
sucks and is being outclassed by open source stuff .. the company is worthless .. if intel spent the 15 billion $ in
order to move from 14 +++++ nm to 7nm they could be in much better position now

Last edited:

Leonidas

It's called evolution, staying on the same node is being stagnant, that stagnation is what help AMD catch up and it bit them in the ass.
why do companies release new products when they can rehash same for years?

You read too much into my posts and again create a ridiculous straw man argument posting the obvious.

Last edited:

base

Banned
And I'm telling ya that those +++++++++++++ are hidden message about the end of the world. Intel knows stuff.

ethomaz

Banned
intel does have some keen interest in everything that is from israel to the point that they blew 15 billion dollars on
israeli company called mobileye .. turns out that buying this company was a terrible idea . Their self- driving tech
sucks and is being outclassed by open source stuff .. the company is worthless .. if intel spent the 15 billion $ in
order to move from 14 +++++ nm to 7nm they could be in much better position now
I believe they spent way more than $15b on 10nm lol
So $15b won’t change that.

People has an wrong ideia about Intel process too... Intel 10nm density is similar to 7nm that AMD is using.
Intel 7nm should be something between 3 and 5nm from AMD/TSMC but I don’t see that happening before 2023.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Isn't it interesting that after a decade of trickling out IPC gains on the same core counts, all of a sudden all this is possible, around 3-4 years after Zen debuted and made it clear they'd be sticking closer to Intel like IPC? About a silicon development cycle.

Whoever you stan, them staying close to each other is best for consumers.

Shin

Banned
You read too much into my posts and again create a ridiculous straw man argument posting the obvious.
What are you fighting against then if you agree with what I've said?
If you don't agree then why not stay on the same CPU and/or node for eternity - we both know the answer to that.
You question was silly to begin with, man up.

I'll add this this much, no company should have a monopoly like nVidia, Intel or Sony does, it does not do us consumers any good and we've seen that for ourselves.
While AMD can make a lot of noise and have made great strides and by proxy forced Intel to act (price cut, performance, core count, etc etc) it is still not my defacto CPU the gold combo remains unchanged but the market is healthier.

Leonidas

What are you fighting against then if you agree with what I've said?
If you don't agree then why not stay on the same CPU and/or node for eternity - we both know the answer to that.
You question was silly to begin with, man up.

You're the one who is fighting over nothing, you agreed with me before creating an argument.

My question was legit. The only thing silly is that my question lead you to create a straw-man. You're being ridiculous, and you've repeated yourself multiple times ITT after saying you wouldn't...

Last edited:

llien

Intel is shifting from "focus on benchmarks", chuckle. Oh boy, it only gets better:

stN2Toob8tqFCS5T.jpg

ntel CEO Bob Swan, in his Virtual Computex YouTube stream, advocated that the industry should focus less on benchmarks, and more on the benefits of technology, a line of thought strongly advocated by rival AMD in its pre-Ryzen era, before the company began getting competitive with Intel again. "We should see this moment as an opportunity to shift our focus as an industry from benchmarks to the benefits and impacts of the technology we create," he said, referring to technology keeping civilization and economies afloat during the COVID-19 global pandemic, which has thrown Computex among practically every other public gathering out of order.

Benefits of technology, guys, all those Spectres and Meltdowns, for instance, they add... fun to your system, it was yours yesterday, but today it is,perhaps, controlled by some Chinese hacker? Add element of surprise to your life, don't be dull! :D

The embarrassment can be watched here:

Shin

Banned
You're the one who is fighting over nothing, you agreed with me before creating an argument.

My question was legit. The only thing silly is that my question lead you to create a straw-man.
I'm not the one that initiated this exchange from a defensive standpoint.
As i said people tend to think themselves a wolf until they meet me, I can do this all day let's see how you feel at the end of it.
Your question was and still is stupid, you're asking why there needs to be progress - think about that more than a second before hitting the enter key.

Leonidas

Your question was and still is stupid, you're asking why there needs to be progress - think about that more than a second before hitting the enter key.

I simply ask why are you so fascinated with 7? Why not 10, 5 or 3?

I am not asking why there needs to be progress, that's your ridiculous straw-man. You created that argument, not me.

Dontero

Banned
They are yet to release even one desktop class cpu on 10nm. Their 10nm is already worse than first gen 7nm of TSMC and TSMC meanwhile had 7nm+ and 7nmsomething which was improvement over 7nm+. THIS years they are starting production of 5nm and they are already working on 3nm by 2022 with 5nm+ before that.

Intel is right now so far behind TSMC and even Samsung that probably they will start using TSMC in near future.

GreatnessRD

Dat Golden Cove should be a game changer along with AMD and their move to 5nm.

This looks like the Andy Ruiz vs. Anthony Joshua fight and Intel is prepping for round 2. Let's see if they outclass AMD as AJ did Ruiz in the second fight. :D

CobraXT

Banned
I believe they spent way more than $15b on 10nm lol
So $15b won’t change that.

People has an wrong ideia about Intel process too... Intel 10nm density is similar to 7nm that AMD is using.
Intel 7nm should be something between 3 and 5nm from AMD/TSMC but I don’t see that happening before 2023.

tsmc new 5nm fab will cost 25 billion ! i don't think even intel could build this on their own after they blew up 15 billion on nothing
.. and you talk about the original failed 10 nm intel plan .. which will never exist .. their new 10 nm is a joke .. its not even as good as
tsmc's 10 nm

The Skull

Gonna be interesting to see how they stack up with Zen 3, now that they can have up to 8 cores on a CCX. Best had be competitively priced or it might be DOA.

Shin

Banned
I simply ask why are you so fascinated with 7? Why not 10, 5 or 3?

I am not asking why there needs to be progress, that's your ridiculous straw-man. You created that argument, not me.
It is the next logical step, not 5nm, not 3nm or 1nm, it has taken them this long enough to get here.
You're a Intel fan first and foremost ([point of this thread and why you're a meme on GAF), it is rather silly to ask something like that.
The problem with fanboys/girls of any kind is that they are so obsessed with something that it blinds them from broadening their horizon as what can/could be.

Leonidas

You're a Intel fan first and foremost ([point of this thread and why you're a meme on GAF), it is rather silly to ask something like that.
The problem with fanboys/girls of any kind is that they are so obsessed with something that it blinds them from broadening their horizon as what can/could be.

I'm not, I'm a performance fan first and foremost.

Good thing I'm not a fanboy, I'm not easily blinded by things, unlike you who went half a day with a stupid straw-man argument.

Shin

Banned
I'm not, I'm a performance fan first and foremost.

Good thing I'm not a fanboy, I'm not easily blinded by things, unlike you who went half a day with a stupid straw-man argument.
That's why you're a joke around here, even among moderators - do remain delusional it has proven to be quite the enjoyment.
You're a fan of performance but goes great length as to why a node shrink is important, how hypocritical do you want to get?
How many CPU's have you not changed during the course of your PC life, where they all on the same node - surely the architectural gains could have kept you within the same series/line up?

Since you still don't get the phase you're in, i'll tell it to your face - you lost this argument before it even started that is what blind fanboyism does.
Yet you aren't man enough to apologize or even man up, instead you're backed in a corner and keep repeating yourself like a broken clock - 6th post that goes on about "straw-man".
They call that being loss of words, it occurs when somewhat was smacked so hard that they lost direction, perhaps you lost direction long before our exchange, your post history reflects that much at least.
Now keep tickling my ass and giving me more fuel, you have about 1 hour and the whole world wide web to come up with something smart so go crazy - I'm off to do groceries.

OT: I hope WCCFTech article turns out to be bullshit like some of their other so-called exclusives and well sources info from various people and 7nm is on track for 2021.

ZywyPL

Banned
ATM i can't know for sure what CPU i will use in my next config and this is a good thing.

Same, in theory there are already next-gen ready CPUs on the market, but how they will perform in practice in 2021 and beyond with PS5/XBX based games is a huge unknown.

Leonidas

That's why you're a joke around here, even among moderators - do remain delusional it has proven to be quite the enjoyment.

Your flawed perception, something you've clearly shown in this thread. I get why I am perceived in a certain way. I troll stupid blind/rabid AMD fanboys for fun because they are delusional and are easy targets. Thus I'm labeled "fanboy" by actual fanboys and/or by those with limited perception. Any reasonable person who actually communicates with me knows I'm not a fanboy.

If there were numerous stupid rabid/blind Nvidia/Intel fanboys on this forum I'd troll them too...

You're a fan of performance but goes great length as to why a node shrink is important, how hypocritical do you want to get?

Still on that straw-man? Thought you'd be past that by now...

Since you still don't get the phase you're in, i'll tell it to your face - you lost this argument before it even started that is what blind fanboyism does.

For the last time, you created an argument where there was none. I asked a simple question, which you finally answered after half a day, though you somehow omit 10, the actual next step for Intel on desktop.

Since you're still being unreasonable and ridiculous with no signs of stopping, you're now ignored..

Last edited:
Top Bottom