• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been 729 days since the last appearance of Silksong, and the Hollow Knight fans are going mad

Draugoth

Gold Member
kfix4f5hHteMP5TqDmC9fk-970-80.jpg.webp

via PCGamer

"We're no longer clowns 'cause we don't make people laugh anymore."
It's enough to make me despondent, and I didn't even play Hollow Knight. Imagine how the fans feel! Or just look at Twitter, where they're doing their grieving out in the open:

this rly how it be for us silksong fans qwp, with all the crossed-out names of conferences Silksong hasn't been at over the last few years, and the Silksong heroine wearing a clown wig and nose

(Image credit: Twitter user @drcuddles_)

We’re no longer clowns 'cause we don’t make people laugh anymore. At this point, just pitiful.

(Image credit: Twitter user @TotemPalantire)

Silksong fans eating with a gif of an anime woman pretending to eat from an empty plate.

(Image credit: Twitter user @90PercentMarten)

Meanwhile, on the Silksong subreddit, things have gotten a bit more dire, with users apparently so desperate for omens about possible Silksong information that they're tracking how often somebody's logging into Team Cherry's Kickstarter account:

Redditors jokingly insisting that recent logins into the Silksong Kickstarter account are inarguable proof of Silksong's impending release.

(Image credit: BoopsTheSnoot_, Sea-Structure4735, ReFlectioH via Reddit)​

While its fanbase resorts to ever more arcane forms of augury and divination, I should note that Team Cherry hasn't spent the last two years in complete silence. In May 2023, Matthew Griffin, who handles Silksong's PR campaign, acknowledged that Silksong had slipped out of the release window Microsoft had marked out in the 2022 showcase.

"We had planned to release in the 1st half of 2023, but development is still continuing,"

Griffin said. "

We're excited by how the game is shaping up, and it's gotten quite big, so we want to take the time to make the game as good as we can."

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i yet to complete hollow knight lol

I have no where else to go after the 1st ending i guess?

but i still have some fights in the arena

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Last edited:
Pretty sure this game is either dead or on permanent hiatus. Lets be real here, if they were actually working on it, wouldnt they tease players with screenshots and art and whatnot? The devs are just too quite. Thats never a good sign.

The ones yelling at them to hurry up are also the ones that would yell at them for rushing it if things turn out bad. I'd rather them just put their heads down to work on their own schedule and release when they feel it's ready rather than play whack-a-mole soothing on social media for the chronically online. It'll be here eventually.

Before Team Cherry was hung from the gallows they said "Our game is yours for the taking... All you have to do is find it in One Piece."

Too late for me personally, I'll probably play it at some point but I was hyped back when I wrapped up Hollow Knight a few years back when they had already released a trailer for Silksong. It's been years now.

I think the problem they have now and are likely very aware of is that it'll almost be impossible to meet fan expectations. A lot of the crazies out there have built it up in their heads that it's going to be the second coming or something. I doubt they'll be able to meet those expectations now that it has been so long.

Too late for me personally, I'll probably play it at some point but I was hyped back when I wrapped up Hollow Knight a few years back when they had already released a trailer for Silksong. It's been years now.

I think the problem they have now and are likely very aware of is that it'll almost be impossible to meet fan expectations. A lot of the crazies out there have built it up in their heads that it's going to be the second coming or something. I doubt they'll be able to meet those expectations now that it has been so long.
This. They had a playable demo at E3 *2019* at the Nintendo booth. There was a whole dedicated Treehouse Live stream on it. And literally five years later, nothing. I know it's because it's gonna be a very short gap between re-unveil and release (and it ought to be), but man 6+ years of development, it better be worth it.

bender

What time is it?
This. They had a playable demo at E3 *2019* at the Nintendo booth. There was a whole dedicated Treehouse Live stream on it. And literally five years later, nothing. I know it's because it's gonna be a very short gap between re-unveil and release (and it ought to be), but man 6+ years of development, it better be worth it.

Feels like an unwinnable situation for Team Cherry due to the amount of dev time and weight of expectations.

SCB3

Also keep in mind that this was originally DLC that was expanded into its own game, I technically was owed it from the original kickstarter reward along with the cancelled Wii U version

cireza

Imagine being upset at a game not releasing when you want. What right do you have to require it to launch now anyway ? Are these guys 3 years old ?

Last edited:
Hate to be that guy but :
Hollow knight has got to be one of the most overrated games/Metroidvanias ever, I really don't get it, it's huge for the sake of being huge but the worst thing is that it has zero respect for the players time with the constant and awful backtracking and scarce, almost hidden character power-ups - couple that with bullshit levels of difficulty and the 00's almost newsgrounds flash levels of spritework and animations and...

I've found F.I.S.T, Ghost song , Moonscars and Blasphemous to be much tighter, non bloated game experiences/Metroidvanias.

hyperbertha

No game has had the expectations of elden ring. Yet it blew away all

hyperbertha

Hate to be that guy but :
Hollow knight has got to be one of the most overrated games/Metroidvanias ever, I really don't get it, it's huge for the sake of being huge but the worst thing is that it has zero respect for the players time with the constant and awful backtracking and scarce, almost hidden character power-ups - couple that with bullshit levels of difficulty and the 00's almost newsgrounds flash levels of spritework and animations and...

I've found F.I.S.T, Ghost song , Moonscars and Blasphemous to be much tighter, non bloated game experiences/Metroidvanias.
I haven't played hollow knight but this just sounds like skill issue

FeralEcho

I'm tired of spoiled people. These guys are working hard on a piece of art, and you just want to access it as soon as possible. If these types of people lived in the past, they would have pressured Mozart to release a new symphony immediately. Let the creators release their work when they're ready.
Then just fucking communicate with the fans ffs... It's not that hard!

Radio silence then bitching about people being mad about the radio silence is worse!

You got your game. You aren’t owed the sequel. Knock off the lazy hyperbole. Shit’s boring

Having Hornet as a playable character was a promised reward to the original Kickstarter backers for hitting a stretch goal. Team Cherry took the decision to turn that promise into something bigger, but that does not absolve them from delivering on their original promise. I'd say it's entirely reasonable that their backers would be frustrated by the lack of communication.

Last edited:
I haven't played hollow knight but this just sounds like skill issue

Moonscars muhfugah, have you played it ? That too was masochistic but I completed it and enjoyed it 😁

So no, it wasn't a skill issue, it's just that I found Hollow knight to be extremely bloated with scarce save points and even more scarce power ups.

Cheers 😘

Roufianos

I hated what I played of the first game so I have no interest in this but can these suckers really not just end this fiasco with a simple 'we hear you and it's still coming' tweet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom