• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's time to stop sleeping on Ridge Racer Unbounded if you like arcade racers...

The worst thing to ever happen to this game is its name... If you can just ignore that for second, you're in for an absolute treat. I literally just tried it myself for the first time today and what a game.

The environmental destruction, the colours, the music, the handling of the cars... all great.

I personally could never get into burnout paradise, but I liked burnout 3. (this scratches that itch)
I loved Split/Second back in the day, but 30fps is a real downer, and the 60fps patch is imperfect. (this scratches that itch too in a big way).

As someone who has lamented the massive dearth of arcade racers in recent years, this games is a MASSIVE addition to my Steam library, and it seems to be absolutely packed with content.

It runs at 240hz on my Samsund OLED G9, and 90hz without breaking a sweat on the Steam Deck.

If you're a fan of the aforementioned games, or combat racers like Blur, then you're in for a pleasant surprise.

tl;dr: Forget the name; Bangin' game.

Don't bother with console versions, at least PS3... it's 30hz, and runs like shit.

If you're in Europe, the game + all DLC (for Steam) is available on Gamersgate for €2.50, absolute BARGAIN

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
imagination jerking off GIF

nush

Gold Member
literally just tried it myself for the first time today
Come back to is in a week. I always hit a brick wall in progression in that game even after multiple restarts. It’s a weak clone of other popular games of the time with the Ridge Racer brand attached.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Its been years since I tried this, but I'm sure it had lost the handling magic of the other ones... it got a thumbs down from me at the time. Ridge Racer 7 iirc was the last one I played which I thought was any good.

Crayon

I bout it cheap but got mad that they called this ridge racer and forgot all about it after ten minutes. Maybe I'll try again, tho. Thanks for the recco!

I've spent 5 hours with it so far today. It's definitely not Ridge Racer... but neither was Ridge Racer V on PS2 IMO.

The one issue I'm having with it compared to Split/Second is that it's lacking that central conceit of being part of movie so it doesn't appear to have any reason or justification for the destruction.

When you start chaining powers together and reaching some insane speeds whilst pulling off a precision drift ala classic Ridge through the crumbling environments it can be quite exhilarating at times, I gotta admit.

Also, how can you not love this:
uQDOZpi.png

32249C4ED3A30BF3131E9BAD038C6311A9708C4C

Fuck this game. Way too hard.

I'm generally not bad at racing games, but this fucker man.
Yeah, it's really hard, but you don't have to win each race to progress and keep unlocking new districts and races and you can come back to the harder ones later. I haven't yet felt stuck at all.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's not Ridge Racer, but it's not a terrible game. I can't say I'd want to play it again, nor would I recommend it to anyone, but it's relatively inoffensive.

Ridge Racer 7 is the one people slept on, but really shouldn't have. It was what RR6 should've been, and basically the real send-off for the series.

It's not Ridge Racer, but it's not a terrible game. I can't say I'd want to play it again, nor would I recommend it to anyone, but it's relatively inoffensive.

Ridge Racer 7 is the one people slept on, but really shouldn't have. It was what RR6 should've been, and basically the real send-off for the series.
Ridge Racer 7 is the best there is, followed closely by Ridge Racer 2 PSP. The PS4 release of RR2 is fantastic. Those two games are basically the main reasons I still have my PS4 & PS3 hooked up.

Shit's wicked at 240hz + flawless widescreen mod. If only it were "real" Ridge Racer. One can only dream one day...
lU0szfN.jpeg

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I have the game on PS3 still.

Its really, really good. Okay, 30fps on console, but it does play well and has a great sense of speed regardless.

I like the slick menus, the OST is a banger, the AI is tough, and the different disciplines are fun. Many games fuck up drifting stages, but in this game its fun. Its not easy, but not ridiculously tough like Shift 2 either. Destruction feels good too.

And the game really isn't that hard. All you need to do, is use this drift button. You'll be constantly juiced. I win a lot of races with a huge gap so I doubt there is real rubberbanding.

RR7 is a true RR game which I also have but if you accept Unbounded being different, then its a very fun game in its own right. Still the OST, car design etc does have RR written over it.

Leonidas

It was okay, I played it a bit after getting a high refresh monitor, but there are much better arcade racers available on PC today.

It was okay, I played it a bit after getting a high refresh monitor, but there are much better arcade racers available on PC today.
Can you name some of the better ones? I play Inertial Drift mostly, and then there's BallisticNG, but that's not arcade. As I mentioned earlier (or in another thread), I play RR2 on my PS4 Pro, a machine that's now almost exclusively dedicated to the task... and my PS3 is still set up for RR7. There's also Outrun 2006, Slipstream, Cannonball, FAST RMX on Switch... those are pretty much all the racers I play on the reg. Oh, and GT7 on PSVR2...

Top Bottom