• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai gets new 4K restoration and US theatrical run

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

EXCLUSIVE: After a debut screening at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, the Toho Company’s 4K restoration of Akira Kurosawa‘s seminal epic Seven Samurai is hitting the U.S. for a theatrical release through Janus Films.

Janus will open the restoration on Friday, July 5 in New York at Film Forum after which a Los Angeles premiere will take place at the American Cinematheque’s Egyptian Theatre on Sunday, July 7. The film will open wide on Friday, July 12 in Los Angeles at Laemmle Royal.

Widely considered one of the greatest and most influential films in cinema history, Seven Samurai tells the story of a sixteenth-century village whose desperate inhabitants hire the eponymous warriors to protect them from invading bandits. The official restoration synopsis reads: This three-hour ride from Akira Kurosawa seamlessly weaves philosophy and entertainment, delicate human emotions, and relentless action, into a rich, evocative, and unforgettable tale of courage and hope.

4K Restoration trailer:

Walter Matthau

Gold Member
Criterion’s streaming service has a channel that plays random movies all day which sometimes I’ll pop on if I don’t think I’ll have time to commit to a full movie and just want to get a taste of something to add to the watchlist.

This was on not long ago and I figured I’d watch maybe 10 minutes since I already saw it as a teenager.

I ended up rewatching the full thing.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This movie is really good. I watched it a while ago and love it. I see why it is held in such high regard.

MrA

I rarely go to the movies, but a Kurasawa movie, and seven samurai no less, yes please,
helps ease the pain of the popeye trailer that was released a few days ago

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love this film! I actually rewatched it about 2 years ago, still holds up amazingly well.

Hudo

Gold Member
They released a 4K remaster of Ran a couple of years ago. It was fucking awesome.

I do hope they remaster Throne of Blood at some point.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I love this film! I actually rewatched it about 2 years ago, still holds up amazingly well.
This is an odd way to think about films like Seven Samurai. Not a dig at you personally, we all kinda think this way, but films from certain eras will ALWAYS hold up because they are 100% in camera experiences of the human condition. There is nothing to "age" like dodgy effects or some sort of cultural affectation that is now "cancelled" (like some sort of blackface rendition of an Aunty Mae slave character, for example). All the action is on sets that sure, may not look quite as convincing as a real location shoot or some CGed green screen, but its like a stage play, the artifice is an inherent part of the experience. We all know Dorothy is running through a studio backlot in Wizard of Oz, it looks pretty fake, but it's that very surrealism that ENHANCES the film, as it's all real stuff and thus doesn't trigger the uncanny valley like digital often does. Personally I think we are gonna see a distinct lack of longevity in films starting in the mid-90's or so up through today where dodgy CG effects absolutely TANK what could otherwise be a fine film with lots still to say about us. Older films, with their practical effects and model work, kinda get a pass because, barring some egregiously bad examples, the techniques were well established and refined as a part of the film while CG is still evolving. Go back and watch Lost in Space or The Mummy 2 and it's fucking ridiculous.

If there is anything against Seven Samurai today, it's that it's been so endlessly imitated that watching it for the first time now probably feels like a slow paced, easily anticipated, low budget streaming film because the camera moves so slowly and there are no jump cuts or shaky cam :p

One of the first movies I ever owned on DVD, that got me really into movies. It will always be a work of art, and possibly more so with time.

This is an odd way to think about films like Seven Samurai. Not a dig at you personally, we all kinda think this way, but films from certain eras will ALWAYS hold up because they are 100% in camera experiences of the human condition. There is nothing to "age" like dodgy effects or some sort of cultural affectation that is now "cancelled" (like some sort of blackface rendition of an Aunty Mae slave character, for example). All the action is on sets that sure, may not look quite as convincing as a real location shoot or some CGed green screen, but its like a stage play, the artifice is an inherent part of the experience. We all know Dorothy is running through a studio backlot in Wizard of Oz, it looks pretty fake, but it's that very surrealism that ENHANCES the film, as it's all real stuff and thus doesn't trigger the uncanny valley like digital often does. Personally I think we are gonna see a distinct lack of longevity in films starting in the mid-90's or so up through today where dodgy CG effects absolutely TANK what could otherwise be a fine film with lots still to say about us. Older films, with their practical effects and model work, kinda get a pass because, barring some egregiously bad examples, the techniques were well established and refined as a part of the film while CG is still evolving. Go back and watch Lost in Space or The Mummy 2 and it's fucking ridiculous.

If there is anything against Seven Samurai today, it's that it's been so endlessly imitated that watching it for the first time now probably feels like a slow paced, easily anticipated, low budget streaming film because the camera moves so slowly and there are no jump cuts or shaky cam :p
Thoughtful elaboration on how films age, except for the last bit. If anything Seven Samurai resembles an A24 art film today, the slow moving camera and lack of jump cuts reinforces the striking visual compositions that are carefully planned and allows you to soak in the story beats, as well as allow some great actors to stretch their chops. Ironically "low budget streaming films" are the ones with fast cuts and breakneck pace, which goes hand in hand with sloppy production, faceless z-actors, and a story designed to move you through it as quickly as possible without much thought so you can go onto the next one. Which is the opposite of Seven Samurai. Anything made with careful craftsmanship outlasts all others.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
If you ever get the chance to see Seven Samurai on the big screen, run as quickly as possible to the theater! You need to be there! I have been very fortunate to watch this movie on several occasions over the years. It is well worth the effort.

Please don't worry about the running time. As Roger Ebert once wrote, a great movie is never too long, and a bad movie cannot end soon enough. Pacing, story and characters matter, and this movie has the feel of an epic novel. It grows and builds, and it races by so quickly. Seven Samurai is easily the fastest four-hour movie ever made. And don't worry, there will be an intermission at the halfway point, where you can stretch your legs and grab some snacks.

I would also highly recommend 2001: A Space Odyssey and Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm. If those are ever shown again in that format, it will become one of the great miracles of your life to see in a theater.

Top Bottom