• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Hits an All-Time High Marketshare on Steam Hardware Survey

9217214841717320179gol1.png

Source

Linux hit a marketshare of 2.32% in the May 2024 Steam Hardware Survey which marks the highest ever. The last time it went over 2% was in February 2013, a few months after Valve launched the Linux Steam client, when it hit 2.02%. When accounting for just anglophone users, according to GamingOnLinux, Linux represents a 5.29% share. Factors such as the Steam Deck doing well commercially and the concerns behind Windows 11's Recall feature and telemetry may have contributed to Linux's rise.

Things holding Linux back include anticheat software in multiplayer games, Playstation games that require PSN logins, SteamOS still only available on the Steam Deck, and Nvidia GPUs not playing nice. I personally doubt the first two problems will be solved. Valve works on Valve Time, so who knows when SteamOS will be available on other handheld PCs, let alone, regular PCs. There is promising progress with Nvidia GPUs and Linux with NVK making inroads and explicit sync currently in beta.

Tough road ahead still with Windows being so dominant, but any progress is good.

Meme Reaction GIF
OEM dominance helps for sure. Linux has small companies like System76 and Tuxedo, but I doubt we'll see Dell, Lenovo, Asus, etc. selling their laptops with a Linux distro preinstalled ever.

The silver lining is that the former lead maintainer of Nouveau is now working for Nvidia which was a surprising development. Since Nvidia GPUs make up the majority of the market, it can definitely help Linux a bit.

Holammer

All gains made due to Steam Deck. Linux is never going to see widespread desktop and laptop use
Basically this, but we're going to see a lot of unsupported Windows 10 machines after October this year.
If those users don't want to be passed around like a prison bitch by botnets, they should look into Linux.

March Climber

Gold Member
Basically this, but we're going to see a lot of unsupported Windows 10 machines after October this year.
If those users don't want to be passed around like a prison bitch by botnets, they should look into Linux.
The problem with Linux is that there has been an air of elitism around Linux. YeulEmeralda YeulEmeralda kind of touched on the topic but people who work on linux distros, apps, and UI mostly make them for other Linux users and no one else.

Modern Windows and MacOS, including their pricing models, would have been much different if this wasn't the case over the years.

What The Fox

Neo Member
OEM dominance helps for sure. Linux has small companies like System76 and Tuxedo, but I doubt we'll see Dell, Lenovo, Asus, etc. selling their laptops with a Linux distro preinstalled ever.

The silver lining is that the former lead maintainer of Nouveau is now working for Nvidia which was a surprising development. Since Nvidia GPUs make up the majority of the market, it can definitely help Linux a bit.
Dell has actually sold (and still do) laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed for many years now. There's only a handful of them - some XPS and Precision. Mostly targeted toward developers and professional use.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Steam decks are counted? Feel like this would be a culprit.

Granted I work with Linux everyday, but I still don't think that any distro is that everyday desktop ready for normal users. I like Linux on the cloud or as an extension to Windows as a WSL2.

MacOs is Unix on desktop perfected, but shame about no external GPUs, thus low GPU power, very expensive. If Macs would allow external GPUs, delivered in some Apple friendly way it would shake up a lot of user distribution.

Codeblew

2.32%???

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

I was coming in thread a bit more hopeful
This is only the second it has gone over 2%, the other time was fresh off the heels of the Linux Steam client launch and Valve giving a Linux-only item on Team Fortress 2. Unlike the last time, this one appears to be more sustainable.

And remember, Linux's marketshare is dependent on the Steam Deck and people going out of their way to install a Linux distro in their PC, the latter of which the vast majority of people want no part of.
I stand corrected though you can see from the title alone that it's not meant for the average consumer.

This year is 2024

Windows 10 support supposedly ends in 2025

And I say supposedly because they won't be able to just orphan over 1 billion working Windows PC's they are going to have to either backtrack on abandoning 10 or open up 11 to support older hardware

Last edited:

Wildebeest

For people who just want the basic functionality Linux on desktop can actually be pretty great, but the problem is with intermediate users who want everything to be just like on Windows with 100% compatibility and don't love the idea of spending thousands of hours coming up with new solutions. A very annoying thing about the scene are the distro hopping hipsters who insist you evaluate different flavours of Linux every month to make sure you are not using some crusty old os that doesn't support all the latest things.

For people who just want the basic functionality Linux on desktop can actually be pretty great, but the problem is with intermediate users who want everything to be just like on Windows with 100% compatibility and don't love the idea of spending thousands of hours coming up with new solutions. A very annoying thing about the scene are the distro hopping hipsters who insist you evaluate different flavours of Linux every month to make sure you are not using some crusty old os that doesn't support all the latest things.
Adobe's work suite is one such example where it can really get in the way of Linux adoption. I've seen some Linux advocates mention GIMP or Krita, but they fundamentally work differently from Photoshop.

Unknown?

All gains made due to Steam Deck. Linux is never going to see widespread desktop and laptop use
It should. Proprietary is trash.

Adobe's work suite is one such example where it can really get in the way of Linux adoption. I've seen some Linux advocates mention GIMP or Krita, but they fundamentally work differently from Photoshop.
KKrKrita is great though and Photoshop can be used with Wine.

Last edited:
The problem with Linux is that there has been an air of elitism around Linux. YeulEmeralda YeulEmeralda kind of touched on the topic but people who work on linux distros, apps, and UI mostly make them for other Linux users and no one else.

Modern Windows and MacOS, including their pricing models, would have been much different if this wasn't the case over the years.

It's also the indoctrination problem. Windows computers are what most kids grew up using, and most people aren't computer nerds. They don't really care as long as it lets them do the thing they need to. If you gave these people Mint nowadays with Chromium pre-installed and setup automatic updates, I don't think they would even notice. Most people live their lives in browsers now, they don't care about the OS itself.

This year is 2024

And I say supposedly because they won't be able to just orphan over 1 billion working Windows PC's they are going to have to either backtrack on abandoning 10 or open up 11 to support older hardware

See now this is something that may be dangerous to the Windows platform. Most people will just upgrade for free, that has been Microsoft's strategy in the past and it works well. If you had to pay, there would be a mutiny and Windows might actually fall out of favor with your average consumer. Especially if they bought the device in the last few years, they will expect the thing to last 5+ years (and if they are older, they'll basically expect it to work until the device dies).

Windows is really the only platform that does "100% compatibility" and Microsoft does that pretty well, but they should considering how much money is put into that platform. Linux could be like this, but the money isn't there and the people who volunteer to work on freeware don't agree with it. That's basically the impasse we are at now, and I don't think it will change any time soon. It's good that Linux marketshare is increasing, but I don't see a mass migration from Windows to Linux. Even if Microsoft royally fucks up, it would take a lot for that many people to switch platforms.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
See now this is something that may be dangerous to the Windows platform. Most people will just upgrade for free, that has been Microsoft's strategy in the past and it works well. If you had to pay, there would be a mutiny and Windows might actually fall out of favor with your average consumer. Especially if they bought the device in the last few years, they will expect the thing to last 5+ years (and if they are older, they'll basically expect it to work until the device dies).
The upgrade from 10 to 11 is free, but you have to meet the system requirements for Windows 11. Namely, a recent-ish CPU and a TPM on your motherboard. While every PC released in the last 5 years has met this requirement, there are still a ton of older systems working just fine under Windows 10 that cannot be upgraded. Microsoft is gambling that these machines will simply be tossed in the trash and replaced with ones that meet their requirements.

The upgrade from 10 to 11 is free, but you have to meet the system requirements for Windows 11. Namely, a recent-ish CPU and a TPM on your motherboard. While every PC released in the last 5 years has met this requirement, there are still a ton of older systems working just fine under Windows 10 that cannot be upgraded. Microsoft is gambling that these machines will simply be tossed in the trash and replaced with ones that meet their requirements.

Right, but all that will happen is those people will be unsupported, and they'll be fine with it. It's not like their device will refuse to boot up the next day, or stop running Office immediately. It's a rarity, but I know people with old iphones that are fine running unsupported hardware until they eventually replace the device. Your average joe isn't going to say "oh no, Microsoft is no longer supporting my OS and my hardware doesn't support Windows 11! Ugh now I have to buy a more recent device!" And when they do eventually get a new device, it won't be an issue. Very few people are actually going to see this and say "fuck it I'm booting Linux".

BlackTron

Gold Member
This year is 2024

I remember when they didn't even give you the option to upgrade, just install Windows 10 overnight and show up at work the next morning with your entire small business broken lol

Fredrik

Linux should have a way larger market share with how upset people get over windows. Gamers spend thousands of dollars and learn how to make their own custom PCs but think Linux is too complicated to use.
Using Linux for me is like eating vegan food, as in the best you’ll ever get is ”Oh, nice, this isn’t so bad actually, it’s almost like the real thing”.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Using Linux for me is like eating vegan food, as in the best you’ll ever get is ”Oh, nice, this isn’t so bad actually, it’s almost like the real thing”.

That is how I used to feel, back around 2012-2014 when I first used Linux. Fell off and recently switched back after endless frustrations with Windows late last year.

Now it feels like how Operating Systems used to act. Actually useable without the endless BS of internet searches when I try to find a file, endless bloat software, bullshit tracking, etc. Its far more useful and something I actually enjoy using now. Only issues I had was trying to re-learn and install the damned thing. They really need to make it a bit simpler, especially when there are issues with some distros and things like NVME recognization.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So every bit the stupid statement I thought it was.

If You Say So Ok GIF by Bounce

Absolutely idiotic. Most religious folks I meet on college campuses just keep to themselves. Trad Caths, Jewish folk, Muslims, Jehovah's witnesses, etc. Most folks just want to focus on classes and learn - you know the entire reason they are there.

If anything in my experience, it is those with religious biases that tend to be the most arrogant and insufferable. The atheists and the like who think they are above things such as religion.

I would say the same goes with Linux now. Most Linux users are just excited about recent growth and want to get others into their favorite ecosystem. They get excited about talking about it, no different than someone excited about their new favorite game, movie, or song.

Zathalus

The fundamental issues that Linux has always had are still there, so widespread adoption continues to be a pipedream for now. Much better for gaming these days though, but missing or badly supported Nvidia features makes it a bit of a no go for most gamers.

Top Bottom