• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking at moving (US)

Mistake

So, long story short, I had a breakup and moved out. Currently bouncing around with some friends and still working, but ideally I want to move somewhere else that has good enough opportunity and won't break the bank for a clean start. Currently I'm looking at Nashville or around there, as the wages don't seem bad and cost of living is low, however I don't know the crime situation.

Once settled, I plan to do some community college or just take online certifications for more skills under my belt. A friend of mine recommended the site udemy which helped him. But I also want to keep up with the gym and gain more weight. I was doing good with my job, but lost a few pounds with the stress these days. Anyway, just looking for some advice or guidance I guess. I'm healthy, have no debt, some savings, and have a reliable vehicle. So really, the world is my oyster.

Last edited:

Mistake

What field are you looking to work in? Where are you moving from if you don't mind?
I'm not too picky with my work, as long as I can make enough to reinvest myself and further opportunities. Honestly, it's hard for me to answer what I want to do. I do feel the need to be creative, whether it's music or writing, but that doesn't really pay bills. I'm moving from Florida

Last edited:

SoloCamo

I'm not too picky with my work, as long as I can make enough to reinvest myself and further opportunities. Honestly, it's hard for me to answer what I want to do. I do feel the need to be creative, whether it's music or writing, but that doesn't really pay bills. I'm moving from Florida

Funny, I'm in a similar boat as far as career and not knowing what I truly want to do. Also considering moving from Florida (after 20 years here it's gotten too expensive due to the influx of people moving in from much more expensive areas). Unless you've got a large savings where you could float for a while I'd really try to hone down what you want to do because moving states without solid, meaningful work will probably put more stress on you.

I'm looking at even Kentucky, TN, etc. as they seem to be a good place for fair pricing but again, the careers aren't always as abundantly available. Best of luck either way and I hope for your mental sake the main motivation of moving isn't to get away from the person you are no longer with.

Mistake

Thanks for the update on your life OP. Good to know.
You're welcome Mossy man

Seems I'm only consistent at being inconsistent :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I'm looking at even Kentucky, TN, etc. as they seem to be a good place for fair pricing but again, the careers aren't always as abundantly available. Best of luck either way and I hope for your mental sake the main motivation of moving isn't to get away from the person you are no longer with.
I wouldn't say it's the main motivation, but I do feel better when I'm in unfamiliar territory and things are fresh. And like you said, seems wages are going down with prices going up here. I do have experience living abroad and a valid passport, so I could bail pretty much anywhere, but I know that doesn't make a good long term plan for relationships or retirement

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Actually my sister moved out to Tennessee about six years ago, couldn't hack the west coast cost of living anymore. They wound up in Lawrenceburg, which is a pretty small town, Nashville would definitely have more opportunities - but they seem to like it out there.

Jinzo Prime

I found a list of places with strong job markets that I agree with:

1Oklahoma City, OK100.0
2Cape Coral, FL98.3
3Jacksonville, FL97.6
4Orlando, FL97.3
5Tampa, FL91.5
6Salt Lake City, UT91.0
7Raleigh, NC90.2
8Greenville, SC89.0
9Miami, FL88.3
10Charleston, SC87.6
11Deltona, FL83.4
12 (tie)Las Vegas, NV83.9
12 (tie)Washington, D.C.83.9
14Durham, NC82.9
15Austin, TX81.7

Not listed here but should be includes: Nashville TN, Naples Fl, Midlands TX, Huntsville Al, Dallas TX, Kansas City MO, Seattle WA, Grand Rapids MI, Atlanta GA.

That last paragraph is gathered from other lists.

AJUMP23

I don’t know what field you are in or what experience you have. But TN could work because there is no income tax. I would look at the outer areas of Nashville, Murfreesboro is nice, or cool springs is nice but pricey.

Dave Ramsey has a huge office in the cool springs area.

Top Bottom