• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Supergirl; The current best of the 4 DC TV shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Dollarz

So I was skeptical to get into this series when it first started, decided I would wait for some reviews and impressions. Then I also decided that if they were able to come through with a CW crossover that I would get into it. So when that got announced, I decided to stay true to my promise and started the series, attempting to catch up before it aired. I wasnt able to, mainly because of watching several different shows airing live, including the 3 cw shows. But so I got through about 9 episodes at that time.

It started off with a pretty weak pilot, but I was noticing improvements in every episode early on. As many have said, it totally took off in episode 7, and after that became a wholly enjoyable and entertaining ride. Sure, the story and antagonists weren't all that, but the characters are all so damn likeable. Starting with Kara, Benoist plays her to perfection. Then her "family", Wynn, James, Alex, Hank, and even the charming yet evil max, they are all excellent. Cat Grant is soooo damn good, a BETTER version of J. Jonah Jameson. The flash crossover was so much fun, Benoist and Gustin had great chemistry. Then the last few episodes got real intense and emotional. I was so in on it. Binged the last 10 episodes over the last like five days.

Overall the show almost reaches the highs of the first season of The Flash, in similar fashion. It was certainly the most fun I had watching any of the 4 shows currently, by a significant margin.

Current rankings: Supergirl > Legends of Tomorrow > The Flash >>> Arrow
All time seasons: Arrow S2 > The Flash S1 > Supergirl S1 >>>>

I'm kind of worried how the series will translate to the CW, because those shows are kind of in a free fall IMO. I'd love to see some rebound. And I'm admittedly geeky amped for some crossover fun.

If you were a fan of the first season of the flash and haven't done so already, go watch Supergirl! LOVED IT!

Ls of Tomorrow above anything is questionable I'd say.

Supergirl is ok but I didn't really love it. The first like, 4-5 episodes of Kat were insufferable but she got ok later on.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Flash > Supergirl > Legends > Arrow for me.

You know what, I got to say, I enjoyed Supergirl the most too. It had a rough start but it managed to find its footing. Kara really carries the show and makes s2 Barry and s4 Oliver look like tools. Barry was actually his best in Supergirl lol

T Dollarz

You know what, I got to say, I enjoyed Supergirl the most too. It had a rough start but it managed to find its footing. Kara really carries the show and makes s2 Barry and s4 Oliver look like tools. Barry was actually his best in Supergirl lol

Yeah I thought the flash got worse as the season went on, and I was not a fan of the finale and super skeptical of the show's future.

I agree Barry was played great in the crossover, more like how he was first introduced to us.

ZeroX03

Banned
Current best, I don't know. Maybe like a third of the episodes were truly great. It had the biggest consistency issues of the four.

The crossover was pretty shallow and kind of a weak episode. Really rushed.

Still the best finale of the season.

I recently watched it as well and I really liked it. Heard a lot of middling things about it, but i'm glad I gave it a shot and I ended up enjoying it anyways.

bryanee

Gotham>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything else when taking into account only the last year of seasons.

Supergirl was a mixture of mostly bad then average and perhaps three of four good episodes and that was mainly for the Manhunter stuff.

Gotham season 2 from start to finish ranged from good to fantastic.

Supergirl was far from perfect, and was rarely ever great. But, it was the DC show this past season that I enjoyed the most. I hope the budget cuts and move to Vancouver don't hurt it too much, but I hope for the best.

I cant get into this show.

I keep asking myself why is Supergirl getting thrashed and thrown around alot

She is Kryptonian and she should be able to tank every attack

Sojgat

giphy.gif

mm04

Flash > Supergirl > Legends > Arrow for me.

I'd agree with this list, if Gotham was ranked ahead of Flash. Gotham has the best identity of the bunch. They know it's comic book camp and they embrace it and run with it. Just the multiple contortions of James Gordon's face when it's him or not him is hilarious. And I love that he and Bullock skirt the line (and cross it sometimes) of legality constantly.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sorry Gotham fans, iZombie is a DCTV show too and if we're expanding the shows being considered you start beneath it at the very, very least.

This for me too. Enjoy em all, but this'd be my tier list.

I still need to watch Legends but I have a feeling mine will end up the same.

I really warmed up to Supergirl even with some of the flaws like Supe Texts.I am really looking forward to more Barry/Kara crossovers in the future. :D

fire.gif

KevinCow

Banned
The best? Nah. Flash is way better. Supergirl still hasn't quite got the whole action thing down.

But it's cute and charming and entertaining enough, and I'm glad it got renewed.

ZeroX03

Banned
I still need to watch Legends but I have a feeling mine will end up the same.

I really warmed up to Supergirl even with some of the flaws like Supe Texts.I am really looking forward to more Barry/Kara crossovers in the future. :D

fire.gif

Barry coped a quick feel last time.

tumblr_nh9ftd6K4F1teabzlo4_250.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It's pretty terrible. I kept watching hoping it would get it's shit together. But the entire season was just a meandering mess filled with laughable efx, corny dialogue, stupid character decisions, and terrible choreography. Supergirl is the only likable character on the show and they did their damndest to make her awful the last few episodes as well. I am really hoping that the move to a non competitive network helps them find the potential in this show. But considering how terrible all the female characters on the other dc cw shows are written and portrayed, I don't have much hope.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It has a great lead, Cat Grant is a super fun addition, and Martian Manhunter is cool, but the show severely lacks a good central conflict. Didn't give a fuck about Non or Astra. Indigo was kinda cool, Livewire was okay in moments, Silver Banshee's makeup was fucking terrible on an otherwise okay character. Maxwell Lord would be okay with a better actor in the role.

It's not without its good or even great episodes, but it goes stretches of being just kind of a slog. There's alot to like but alot that just kinda sucks. Namely love triangles, Wynn, and just about all the wirework...

Seriously, the wirework was just super embarrassing. Not sure how this show will look now with its budget inevitably slashed for CW. The fights were almost always a disappointment.

KonradLaw

Really? I thought it was easily the worst out of the four Berlanti DC shows. Easily the weakest villains, weak action scenes and merely few decent episodes. It pretty much coasted solely on Kara's charm and Kat's snark.

This year as a whole I would say:

Arrow > Flash > LoT > Supergirl

But to be honest, none of the four had great year, with serious problems plaguing them through the seasons. The best DC television could be found outside of Arrowverse, because Gotham and iZombie had amazing second seasons and Lucifer turned out to be very nice surprise.

Supergirl had its moments, and definitely improved over the season, but the finale was a pretty big letdown. Arrow and Flash both had better seasons than it this year. Legends of Tomorrow is garbage. Its season was the worst season of any Berlanti DC show. Yes even worse than Arrow season three.

carlsojo

Supergirl is ok but I didn't really love it. The first like, 4-5 episodes of Kat were insufferable but she got ok later on.

The finale and character development were better than the other 3 shows by quite a bit.

Oddduck

The two most entertaining DC shows this year weren't part of the Arrowverse.

Supergirl is an okay show, but it's nowhere near The Flash.

Dysun

Legends is much more enjoyable than current day Arrow, and stuck with me unlike Supergirl. I haven't understood people being down on it

I'd rank last years DC TV
Gotham > Flash > Legends > Arrow > Supergirl

Xemnas89

When it comes to the berlantiverse my ranking for this season would be

The Flash
Supergirl
Legends
Arrow

The Flash was still the best to me by far. I know some people have been a bit down on season 2 but with the exception of maybe 3 episodes I loved it. I don't think it was better than season 1 but it was still great. Obviously I was a big fan of zoom even after the reveal and I felt the end of the season did a good job setting up future plot points.

Supergirl had it's problems but episodes dealing with martian manhunter as well as the red kryptonite episode were really good. I also really liked the flash crossover if only for the scenes Barry and Kara shared. The episode itself wasn't the best supergirl had to offer but still had fun moments. They need to do a better job with their villains next season though because they were definitely the weak link. I didn't care at all about non or astra. They need their Slade/Reverse flash.

Legends started off ok then the quality started to dip. I still had fun with even the worst episodes but it definitely went downhill. I feel like it rebounded in the last few episodes and it ended on a high not by getting rid of what didn't work and introducing an exciting new element into the show.

Arrow I liked better than season 3 and I had fun with it but it was still my least favorite and I don't really have much more to say about it beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom