• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

MbqFupRS.jpg

Game Information

Game Title
: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Jun 27, 2024)
Trailers:

Developer: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

Metacritic:

AsJit4X.png

OpenCritic - 79/100 - 75% Recommended

9wRxfzX.png

Critic Reviews​

Checkpoint Gaming - David McNamara - 5 / 10

For game preservation reasons, it's important that Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is available to play on current-gen hardware. However, this remake does little to address the original title's core gameplay issues, which have only grown more egregious with time. Its janky controls, lackluster visual updates, and frustratingly repetitive busywork detract from an otherwise charming Halloween adventure. There's a quirky, silly little game somewhere in here that has unfortunately not been given the attention it needs to be very much fun. Ever the forgotten brother, Luigi isn't likely to win any fans with this spooky escapade.
Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Luigi's Mansion 2 is a delightful blend of spooky adventure, clever puzzles, and charming humour. Its engaging gameplay, atmospheric design, and lovable protagonist make this a classic from the get-go and, even a decade plus later, showcases Luigi as an excellent character who can lead out of the shadows of his more famous brother.
Digitec Magazine - Cassie Mammone - German - 4 / 5

Luigi's Mansion 3 is a successful leap from the 3DS to the Switch. For me, the remake of the 3DS classic is the best game in the series. Even if it sticks to a more linear and mission based style compared to Luigi's Mansion 3. It's an atmospheric ghost game with a slightly different approach. Instead of being creeped out and fighting for my survival, I can relax and explore different mansions with lots of personality and cute details.
Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 7.5 / 10

Especially for those who haven't played Luigi's Mansion 2 before, the upcoming release of the HD version - with an overall great atmosphere that is enhanced by the background music and the voices of the protagonists - is the perfect opportunity.
IGN Italy - Andrea Peduzzi - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Returning to play Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is always a pleasure, especially because in terms of level design and puzzles, for me it is the most interesting chapter in the series. Plus the new control system is a real blessing, even more welcome than the new graphics.
Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 8 / 10

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is Luigi's Mansion 2 with a fancy HD lick of paint. Surprise! It looks great, and the new models, animations, and revamped visuals make for a game that's close to the glorious Luigi's Mansion 3 in how modern and swish it all is. It also controls much nicer thanks to the second stick on the Switch. It's just a shame we haven't got any added extras, then, any new means to save mid-mission, added content, or bonuses. This is 100% the best way to play the game as of 2024, there's no doubt, but it would have been nice to get something a little extra, especially given the price point. Maybe we'll get a Deluxe edition someday.
Press Start - James Mitchell - 7 / 10

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is exactly as it sounds. It's the second game in the series with a very fresh coat of paint. Unfortunately, while the visual upgrade is a decent effort, it ultimately still harbours the same design quirks that made the original game so controversial. While it falls flat in the face of the games that came before and after it, it's a great grab if you're looking to experience some more Luigi's Mansion.
Spaziogames - Italian - 8 / 10

While it may be true that at the same price any Switch owner can buy bigger and more recent first party games, such as Super Mario Bros Wonder, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is a love letter to the 3DS days and a very enjoyable ride from start to finish even today, for both experienced and green players. It comes expecially recommended if you liked the third episode.
TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 7 / 10

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is a handsome remaster of a great 3DS game, but it now lives in the shadow of its sequel. It's still a fun time, though, and a great chance for newer Luigi's Mansion 3 fans to get some more ghostbusting action in.
WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 8.5 / 10

Luigi, the loveable scaredy-cat that he is, returns for another outing that holds up well in its transition from 3DS to Switch. Despite being a straight port without any new features, it remains a gorgeous and inventive world worth exploring for old and new fans alike.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Little to no marketing on this one, you can tell Nintendo phoned it in. Not that these scores are bad, but to me it doesn't seem like they are pushing this one that much

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Luigi’s mansion is a specific genre and I don’t think it requires next gen hardware when the switch can do the job.

Zannegan

Gold Member
It's got some great moments, but I never liked how the missions would pull you out of the world then send you back in to re-vacuum the same areas for the same treasures over and over again. Felt like a Lego game in that regard... or the life of a Roomba.

Last edited:

amigastar

I've played it on the 3DS but stopped because the save system was so annoying, you never knew when the game saved so i played a good chunk and it was all gone the next time i loaded the game. Otherwise it's a great game.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
A $60 re-release of an 11 year old handheld game is a hard sell, even for Nintendo.
And watch it sell 5+ million units in it's lifetime. If it had been released in 2018 it would have been on 10+ million by now. It's a phenomenal game which a large part of the Switch audience has never played and it's artstyle carries it in HD. If you think it's too expensive then... don't buy it or wait for a sale.

I just want a Luigi Mansion 1 game remade in modern engine and be completely open world (botw) style in a smaller space. Let us tackle most of it in any way we want. That would be neat. For Switch 2.

Last edited:

amigastar

I just want a Luigi Mansion 1 game remade in modern engine and be completely open world (botw) style in a smaller space. Let us tackle most of it in any way we want. That would be neat. For Switch 2.
It takes place in a Mansion, from that viewpoint it is open world just in a mansion with closed doors you have to find a way in.

bender

What time is it?
I didn't care for the structure of LM2 when I played it on the 3DS and it doesn't look like that's really changed in this release.

I wish they'd have done something to bring back the original in HD as well, it's like a 10 hour game. Could've been a decent $60 purchase for physical as a collection.

I'd like this in the sense of a giant sprawling mansion with things to do out in the grounds as well, with a surrounding wilderness and maybe a spooky town with shops or something. Likely would take 6 years to make but it would be really cool.

amigastar

And people still say reviewers don't apply a "Nintendo Bonus" to their scores when their games are first released...It seems with Nintendo we always need a re-release to get fairer reviews.

This is one of the most blatant examples ever:

9WGFRtT.png
I liked SS better than BotW 👟

This is what I actually want for Luigi Mansion 1, and Resident Evil 1 Remake (again)
It’s possible. Luigi’s Mansion 3 sold over 14 million copies. So no doubt NLG is working on #4 and being given all the time and money they need to make it great. 3 was fine but I didn’t like how the levels were built with co-op in mind and a chore for single-player. And after that long a wait I also found it quite short and linear. It was shorter than Dark Moon. But it was genuinely fun and looked amazing, graphically.

It’s possible. Luigi’s Mansion 3 sold over 14 million copies. So no doubt NLG is working on #4 and being given all the time and money they need to make it great. 3 was fine but I didn’t like how the levels were built with co-op in mind and a chore for single-player. And after that long a wait I also found it quite short and linear. It was shorter than Dark Moon. But it was genuinely fun and looked amazing, graphically.

Right, I am of the mindset that games need to get shorter and have more replayability. So, I am fine with a 6-8 hour Luigi Mansion experience if there is a reason to go thru it twice. Or an online mode. That is fine. Less that 5% of buyers complete games, i believe was the recent GDC article.

Personally, I think the games need to be shorter and have a higher level of polish, as a whole and not need major patches. (Ahem…many 3rd party Switch games, Mario Strikers, Starfield, Halo Infinite, etc, etc.). I think Quality over Quantity is a better way forward in some instances. Luigi Mansion being one of them.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I never got a chance to play this one, just bought it for 40e on Amazon. I expect to have a good time, LM3 was the first game I played in the series and I loved it!

Muffdraul

Looking forward to it. I have a tough time getting into handheld games no matter how good they are, and despite how much I loved the original Luigi's Mansion, I only played an hour or two of Dark Moon when it came out. I was all over LM3 on the Switch (which I only play docked,) and I loved it so much I went back and dug out my 3DS and Dark Moon again... I only played a little bit more of it, but I was irked to see how many features from LM3 were actually just transplanted directly from Dark Moon, and I thought, "Damn, can't they just port DM to Switch so I can comfy couch it?!" My wish eventually came true, and I'm not too arsed over the price.

Last edited:
Right, I am of the mindset that games need to get shorter and have more replayability. So, I am fine with a 6-8 hour Luigi Mansion experience if there is a reason to go thru it twice. Or an online mode. That is fine. Less that 5% of buyers complete games, i believe was the recent GDC article.

Personally, I think the games need to be shorter and have a higher level of polish, as a whole and not need major patches. (Ahem…many 3rd party Switch games, Mario Strikers, Starfield, Halo Infinite, etc, etc.). I think Quality over Quantity is a better way forward in some instances. Luigi Mansion being one of them.
I don’t think the 5% statistic that is bandied around specifically applies to short 15 hour games. Quite sure it applies to the Witcher 3s, Skyrims and BotWs of the world.

I don’t think the 5% statistic that is bandied around specifically applies to short 15 hour games. Quite sure it applies to the Witcher 3s, Skyrims and BotWs of the world.
yes, I agree. I may be mistaken, but I believe it said all games. I assumed it meant everything. I completely agree about Witcher, Skyrim, BoTW etc

I am one of those morons who rebuys everything on Switch because that's the console I've decided to collect for, but even I won't bite at this. Still have the 3DS version that I haven't played, I doubt it would be worth double dipping.

Top Bottom