• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3DS or Snake Eater for PS2?

MarkMe2525

So I recently finished my first playthrough of MGS1 Twin Snakes, and with previous experience with MGS2 and 4, I think it's time to make it through MGS3. To those who have experience with both versions, which should I play? I am aware that Snake Eater will run smoother, but does that make up for the mechanical improvements that were introduced to the 3DS version? Ultimately, it comes down to which is more fun to play, will the improved camera and ability to "aim while moving" make up for 20fps cap on the handheld?

Edit: I wanted to add that this would be played on original hardware, so i would not have the luxury of utilizing the render improvements obtained through emulation.

Edit edit: I also already own both these versions, and am not interested in playing on a modern system/display.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

There is no scenario where I or any sane person is going to say that the 3DS is the superior experience.

If you're looking for more freedom of movement in the camera, just get the Subsistence version, also on PS2.
I'm more interested in playing one of the copies that I already own. With that in mind, is Snake Eater still going to be the better experience?

Doom85

There is no scenario where I or any sane person is going to say that the 3DS is the superior experience.
3DS. It has better controls, you can crouch-walk.

Zau4qDr.gif

TexMex

I'm more interested in playing one of the copies that I already own. With that in mind, is Snake Eater still going to be the better experience?

Even then I'm going PS2. I have all versions we're talking about here but the novelty of it being portable isn't enough for me. I think playing a game of that scope on a DS screen, with DS controls, just isn't it. But I'm also the person who thinks watching a movie on your iphone is nuts.

Also, the frame rate is insane on 3DS. It looks like you're playing in slow motion most of the game. You mentioned 20FPS, and I'm not sure what it technically is, but I'd be surprised if it was that high on average.

Roni

Gold Member
If you don't care about history (or graphics) and want the most updated gameplay experience, go with the 3DS version. For historical accuracy and everything else, go with any other version.

MarkMe2525

Even then I'm going PS2. I have all versions we're talking about here but the novelty of it being portable isn't enough for me. I think playing a game of that scope on a DS screen, with DS controls, just isn't it. But I'm also the person who thinks watching a movie on your iphone is nuts.

Also, the frame rate is insane on 3DS. It looks like you're playing in slow motion most of the game. You mentioned 20FPS, and I'm not sure what it technically is, but I'd be surprised if it was that high on average.
I have the "new" 3ds. From what I understand, it sticks closer to the 20 fps cap (barring cutscenes). It does seem like people are leaning towards Snake Eater overall. It may be interesting to play through the OG version, and pick up a copy of Subsistence down the line.

TexMex

I have the "new" 3ds. From what I understand, it sticks closer to the 20 fps cap (barring cutscenes). It does seem like people are leaning towards Snake Eater overall. It may be interesting to play through the OG version, and pick up a copy of Subsistence down the line.

I have the New 3DS as well, I haven't played it on a standard one, but if it's somehow worse, I'd call it unplayable.

And unless you are just really adamant about playing it on original hardware, the Subsistence version is only $15 right now if you have any remotely modern console.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Just play Subsistence, or the PS3/360 port. Snake Eater 3D is also weirdly scarce and expensive because it was never available on the eShop.

MarkMe2525

I have the New 3DS as well, I haven't played it on a standard one, but if it's somehow worse, I'd call it unplayable.

And unless you are just really adamant about playing it on original hardware, the Subsistence version is only $15 right now if you have any remotely modern console.
I appreciate the info. It may be silly to actively pursue a playthrough on an inferior version, but I love that CRT glow. I feel like I'm a kid again. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug

Just play Subsistence, or the PS3/360 port. Snake Eater 3D is also weirdly scarce and expensive because it was never available on the eShop.
I already own MGS 3D and Snake Eater. You may have missed it, but I am looking for a playthrough on original hardware and an age appropriate display.

Edit: I forgot about the PS3 and 360 versions. I may pick up one of those versions down the line, as I have those consoles hooked up to my CRT as well.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Im probably the one guy who prefers the 3DS version. Playing in full 3D with a great pair of headphones was a really immersive experience especially the battle with The End.

That said I'm an odd duck so you're most likely better off with subsistence.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Im probably the one guy who prefers the 3DS version. Playing in full 3D with great pair of headphones was a really experience especially the battle with The End.

That said I'm an odd duck so you're most likely better off with subsistence.
No, you're not. It actually plays a little better with the couch walk and the visuals look very good on the small screen. The only major downside is the crap framerate. Then again the PS2 framerate wasn't really that great either.

MarkMe2525

No, you're not. It actually plays a little better with the couch walk and the visuals look very good on the small screen. The only major downside is the crap framerate. Then again the PS2 framerate wasn't really that great either.
Would I be losing anything by skipping a playthrough with the original "fixed camera" perspective? For instance, i noticed that Twin Snakes "enhanced" mechanics sort of broke some of the challenge in MSG1.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I appreciate the info. It may be silly to actively pursue a playthrough on an inferior version, but I love that CRT glow. I feel like I'm a kid again. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug

I already own MGS 3D and Snake Eater. You may have missed it, but I am looking for a playthrough on original hardware and an age appropriate display.

Edit: I forgot about the PS3 and 360 versions. I may pick up one of those versions down the line, as I have those consoles hooked up to my CRT as well.
I did miss that, but my recommendation doesn't change. You can only play MGS3, one of the best games ever, for the first time once. The camera in Subsistence really makes the game so much better. I would probably recommend MGS 3D over SE for that reason alone, but it's not the best way.

If you've waited this long to play it, why not just wait for the upcoming remake?
Gross.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I found the original to be unplayable after Subsistence.

The camera worked in MGS2, but not really in 3. In 1 and 2 the enemies couldn't see beyond their cones on the radar, in 3 the radar isn't there. There is a lot of foliage and enemies blending in as well. I greatly prefered the Subsistence camera. It makes more sense to me to play it like this. I also noticed how good the graphics actually were on PS2 when I played this version. In Snake Eater this is less evident because of the top down view.

If you have never played it, I would absolutely play Subsistence and perhaps even recommend the 3DS version over the original Snake Eater.

Gambit2483

Would I be losing anything by skipping a playthrough with the original "fixed camera" perspective? For instance, i noticed that Twin Snakes "enhanced" mechanics sort of broke some of the challenge in MSG1.
Not at all. I think most ppl (including mgs fan) prefer the new camera perspective. It actually adds to the jungle immersion if anything

MarkMe2525

^
Tried for a few minutes on an OG 3DS, literally unplayable.
I find that the low resolution visuals, of the 3DS version, have a certain charm to them. I have owned both the 3DS and Snake Eater versions for years, yet have only turned them on long enough to see the opening jungle section. I wanted to go back through MSG 1 & 2 before a run, and it took years for me to get around to doing that. I ended up playing the Twin Snakes version for the first time, when revisiting MGS1. It's not without it faults, but a treat overall.

Last edited:

tkscz

Subsistence on PS2. The 3DS version is like watching mud move sometimes.
The 3DS version is locked to 20fps. This was discovered after the N3DS got a hack that allowed 3DS games to run with the faster N3DS hardware. Where RE:R, Luigi's Mansion 2 and other games were hitting 60fps, MGS3D wouldn't go higher than 20fps.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Play the 3DS version on PC using Citra and the 60fps patch. It looks quite nice upscaled, too.

SHA

If you're looking for more freedom of movement in the camera, just get the Subsistence version, also on PS2.
I don't understand how being free outside in the open while running on stealth mode in the game, that doesn't make any sense.

RaduN

Subsistence/Snake Eater has drastically superior visuals and performance (higher polys, 10 times the vegetation density, much better textures, much more constant fps that hovers ~ 20/30 compared to the 10 - 15 fps of the 3D version). For that alone it is the logical choice.

3Ds version is an interesting experiment, with a few tweaks here and there (a couple of extra/different details on some characters, over the shoulder aiming which is cluncky as hell), but it is ultimatelly the much lesser version.

lestar

the 3DS version was an experiment born thanks to that snake eater tech demo showcasing the supposed power of the 3ds gpu, that ended up being worst than ps2 capabilities, I guess the port team hit a big wall trying to port this game.

VulcanRaven

3DS. It has better controls, you can crouch-walk, also over-the-shoulder aim.
MGS3 wasn't designed with crouch walk so I wonder if it makes it too easy. I haven't played the 3DS version. I liked the slow sneaking with d-pad in the original.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Check the tutorials in the main menu under Special. The cqc system is similar to MGS4 if I remember right but I would still check it. Also the new sneaking controls.

Last edited:

RaduN

MGS3 wasn't designed with crouch walk so I wonder if it makes it too easy. I haven't played the 3DS version. I liked the slow sneaking with d-pad in the original.
That's all you really need.

3Ds version can not even be played at moderately high level, because its missing fundamental mechanics.
People say it plays better because it has over the shoulder aim, but it actually plays worse because of it. It's a clunky mess. I mean, unless you are the most casual of the casuals and have zero abilities to adapt to any kind of non-standard gameplay mechanics.

MGS 1 to 3 are not your standard TPS games, never were, never attempted to be, and you get the absolute best experience when you play them as they were designed to be played in the first place.

OG Snake Eater has a terrible camera that you can't do anything about. Top down like the rest of the MGS games before it, but Subsistence, HD Collection, and 3DS have a 3rd person camera you have complete control over and makes the game a much more pleasant experience.

3DS also has a couple of gimmicks (one that's spoilery) that Kojima added that, as a fan, I found absolutely cool as fuck, but also completely superfluous to the experience.
If those two are your only choices, 3DS wins as a unique experience. If you have Subsistence or HD, those instead.
Go back to 3DS once you complete it if you really enjoy your experience!

AndrewRyan

I played ps3 subsistence first, then the 3ds version and enjoyed them both. Maybe cause I played it already the low fidelity didn't bother me and found the 3d effect neat, made good use of the c-stick and great playing on a device that actually fits in your pocket.

Top Bottom