• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

metroid dread devs vs metroid prime 4??

Who?

• Dread

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • Prime

Votes: 35 55.6%

• Total voters
prime only one demo buuuut it the combat looked same

dread best combat in 2d action histories

mercury steam v retro my friends
Not sure I understand the argument you are trying to make, here. One is 3D FPS, one is 2D sidescroller/ Metroidvania. Also, one is a game that was released and one is you going off of a 90 second snippet, only a fraction of which was gameplay, from the same area. Bit of an odd take, to be honest.

Last edited:

Calverz

Both will be great in their own ways. Dread was amazing but a couple of small things annoyed me.
Prime will be prime. Great gameplay and hopefully great pacing like prime 1.

showed combat in trailer prime 4 buuuuut it looked the sames hopimfully it got more feetures but now we must guess my friends
But you’re comparing it to a full game. Is I think the point. It’s not apples to apples so it’s an odd thing to focus on until it’s out for real.

Little Mac

I'm looking forward to Prime 4 but no Prime game is better than Dread.

david schwimmer middle finger GIF

fallingdove

Dredd was a great game overall but I’ve never been a fan of 2d aiming systems and this was no exception. Its disruptive to horizontal and vertical movement and with as fast paced as Dredd was, the aiming system took away from some well-crafted action sequences.

Dread requires you to get good, at a lot of points. Metroid Prime does not.

You can like either depending if you like that.

Though technically, Dread seems to be far superior so far. Unless MP4 has … umm … best FPS combat ever, it isn’t going to touch it.

Astral Dog

well they are going for different experiences in different genres

But if we only are going to compare the combat, i agree the original Metroid Prime was mostly boring and unexciting, even compared to the likes of Other M and other Sakamoto Metroids.

but imo Retro got better with the sequels, with Corruption having excellent first person motion combat, and Echoes upping the difficulty and boss encounters(for example fans always praise this fight or the Dark Samus final boss)

as for Metroid Dread, i would praise the controls and animation,MercurySteam did a good job but the combat itself is very simple and not at all innovative (except for the counter thing they did in Samus Returns),i thought it was solid ,but nothing amazing and even unambitious compared to what they did with their Lord of Shadow games.

Metroid Prime 4 we have no idea how the overall combat is gonna be like, beyond that its an evolution of the previous games, but Corruption is a pretty high standard for Metroid ,we will see if they are willing to surpass it.(The trailer itself didn't show all their cards,im sure its gonna be more fleshed out than that)

Fbh

Let's wait until the game is out...or at least there's more footage

I thought Dread had a pretty awful reveal trailer too

"Oh look, Samus fights some rejected designs from Portal".
But the game ended up being pretty good.

Last edited:

RCU005

Would a 3rd person view Metroid work? I like Dread combat, but also the FPV of Prime feels like it makes sense.

It’s weird. Like where should the franchise go after Prime 4 and Dread?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Would a 3rd person view Metroid work? I like Dread combat, but also the FPV of Prime feels like it makes sense.

It’s weird. Like where should the franchise go after Prime 4 and Dread?
Sure. Vanquish combat meets 3D exploration

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Dread was a kick ass Metroid game, one of the best 2D outings, but Prime-franchise is legendary so 4 is much more hyped for me than what Mercury Steam cooks up next.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
How about we wait? Dread was excellent and a GOTY. Prime 4 might be as well.

About Mercury, today I started playing Castlevania Lords of Shadow on my PS3 and what a banger that is. Looks fantastic as well.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Still haven't played Dread because I can't get over that plastic 2.5D artstyle.

But I agree that the Prime4 trailer gave us absolutely nothing of substance or even the slightest interest, let's hope it's just too early to show.

2D peak is still Super Metroid, gorgeous pixel art and game design. 3D peak is still Prime 1, perfection in execution.

zeroluck

Playing Metroid Prime Remastered after finishing Dread, it is putting me to sleep, a FPS Metroid game with the combat of something like Returnal would be awesome tho.

nkarafo

Dread requires you to get good, at a lot of points.
I actually disliked that. On some bosses i felt like there is no difference how much health or what upgrades you have. Like there's some kind of system that scales the boss depending on what you have, so it's always the same, fixed difficulty. Or at least this is how the final boss felt to me.

If that's the case then what's the point of upgrading?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If the switch 2 is backwards compatible out the gate, dread is the first game im buying for it.

I only own a lite and my kids use it mostly. After the steam deck oled I’m spoiled to play on any other handheld.

Robb

Gold Member
Impossible to say right now. I absolutely love Dread though. They really knocked it out of the park with that one.
No.

Halo vs MP4:

tj8RxiO.jpeg
That’s very similar in terms of visual styling. This is probably the best comparison between the two I’ve seen so far.
A 2 minute trailer that's obviously from the first 2 minutes of the game to boot.
Definitely, it’d be like judging Prime 3 only based of off the action filled intro.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Dread doesn't have good art style, music, interesting locales. The parry system get boring, and the fact you can miss scens or can't continue on if you don't do it is a joke.

Prime has amazing art style, music, locales. There's more exploration.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
No.

Halo vs MP4:

tj8RxiO.jpeg

Man, GAF is going in circles now.

Over a decade ago when Halo 4 released, there was talk everywhere (including here) about how much it seemed to be inspired by the Prime games.

IAmRei

I
Another stellar thread from the board's resident genius
Yesterday one member said, is this the week of "worst/weirdest thread ever" competition? There are lot of weird/funny threads sporadically posted at almost the same time.

Pimpbaa

Dread was a linear as fuck game disguised as a Metroid title. Last Metroid game I played like that was Fusion and I hated that game as well. Prime games have much more exploration.

I liked Dread but I don't know if I'll ever want to go back to it. Every time I think I might want to do a replay, I remember the EMMIs and they're just a complete blocker for me.

The Prime games are pretty perfect though.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still haven't opened my physical copy of Metroid Dread. I should make some time to play it.

2D Metroid is going to be my favorite either way.

Man, GAF is going in circles now.

Over a decade ago when Halo 4 released, there was talk everywhere (including here) about how much it seemed to be inspired by the Prime games.

You are missing the point of his post. Halo 4 came out 12 years ago and it looks better than Prime 4. Actually, Killzone 2 looks better than this. its amazing how lazy Nintendo devs are and keep putting out subpar looking products because they can. Instead of making a new engine they just decided to use same assets from the remake versions and this ended up looking like a DLC instead. This is a major franchise that hasnt had a mainline game in years and they half assed it instead of making it a system seller.

Švejk

Mercury Steam is not that good. Only reason Dread was somewhat decent, was because Nintendo had to over see it constantly.

Retro knows what they're doing.

Robb

Gold Member
Instead of making a new engine they just decided to use same assets from the remake versions and this ended up looking like a DLC instead.
Do people really think like this? I thought it was obvious they’ve used the engine they’ve made for Metroid Prime 4 to build the remake, not the other way around.

And either way this is most definitely going to look better than both the original release of Killzone 2 and Halo 4 just based on the fact that it is running twice the framerate and at higher resolution than both.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Let’s be honest….. Nintendo I could give us a 2D Metroid… and. 3D one in the same year and as long as both are good we would all be happy to have both in the same year.

Sorry but…. I’m not voting. I can’t. Just because I’ve what I just said above. I’d take both and not even compare them.

Top Bottom