• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MicroProse, Legendary Creators of Civilization, XCOM, and Falcon 4.0 Is Back

llien

MicroProse, an American video game publisher and developer founded by Bill Stealey and Sid Meier in 1982, is being resurrected after an absence of almost 20 years. The publisher's last game was Grand Prix 4 released in 2002, but is most famous for the XCOM and Civilization franchises
The company is now being led by CEO David Lagettiu, while Bill Stealey, who originally founded MicroProse with Sid Meier, will be onboard as a consultant this time around. It will be remastering a number of games, although those specific titles haven't been revealed at this time.

iyDWREn.jpg

Three games have been announced so far:

Task Force Admiral, a single-player experience centered on the command of an early Pacific War US Navy carrier task force that puts you in the nerve-wrecking role of the admiral in charge .
Second Front, an accessible WWII turn-based tactical game sporting all the depth of a paper wargame and the ease of a computer simulation.
Sea Power, a deep modern naval combat warfare simulation that pits Nato and Warsaw Pact against each other in a tense, hide and seek-based, confrontation. From the lead designer of Cold Waters.

More about the games in development can be read here.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Man, that XCOM game was great. It was hilariously difficult, but a fantastic game none the less. The emotions involved when one of your veterans was mindcontrolled and killed most of your squad are hard to find in gaming these days.

Man, that XCOM game was great. It was hilariously difficult, but a fantastic game none the less. The emotions involved when one of your veterans was mindcontrolled and killed most of your squad are hard to find in gaming these days.

The fucking chrysalids, goddamn those assholes. You'd see one dart across your FOV, then you'd hear like 3 civilians getting infected and be all, "Whelp, this mission is fucked."

Mokus

Without Sid Meier's team, this is just a new studio only sharing the name of a dead company.

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I've played maybe 75% of those games seen in that banner! Damn, I loved that company back then.

Knights of the Sky! I spent so much time trying to squeeze performance from my PC trying to run that game.

Red Storm Rising on my dad's C64!

Hope they can bring that same energy back with their upcoming titles.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I remember MicroProse Soccer :pie_thinking:

I do wonder what it means when a company name is brought back without the same team (Sid Meier missing). Is it an attempt to mine on nostalista or to refuel the brand name? Does the company have the rights to all the previous titles released? If so, in what capacity?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I do wonder what it means when a company name is brought back without the same team (Sid Meier missing). Is it an attempt to mine on nostalista or to refuel the brand name? Does the company have the rights to all the previous titles released? If so, in what capacity?

They don't. The IPs were long since sold off to other companies. These people just bought the name and are cashing in on nostalgia.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Brings back a lot of memories. They were the simulation kings for a long time.

Top Bottom