• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World to finally release on Xbox in Japan, only six years later

Capcom has announced that the Xbox One versions of Monster Hunter: World and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne will be releasing in Japan on June 5, 2024.

Monster Hunter: World, the fifth main entry to the Monster Hunter series, was released in 2018, and the Iceborne expansion followed in the subsequent year. Xbox One versions of both titles were available in North America and Europe at the time of initial launch, but this was not the case in Japan.
After a six year wait, Japanese Xbox users will finally be able to play Monster Hunter: World and Iceborne. While this might seem strange, especially considering it’s a Japanese game, it is unfortunately something Japanese gamers are used to. In a past article, we detailed the phenomenon of Japanese publishers auto-region locking their games due to console exclusivity deals and other factors, and Monster Hunter: World is another such case. It is speculated that due to a PS4 exclusivity deal with Sony, the Xbox versions of the two Monster Hunter titles were region locked from Japan and the rest of Asia.

Thankfully, the upcoming Monster Hunter Wilds will be launching worldwide (including Japan) for the PC (Steam), PS5 and Series X|S in 2025.

Krieger

I'm not even gonna make a joke about "good for the 12 people who will finally get the chance to play this", because literally not a single person in Japan will play this on a Xbox.

I'm not even gonna make a joke about "good for the 12 people who will finally get the chance to play this", because literally not a single person in Japan will play this on a Xbox.
I know you're joking, but there's def Xbox fans in Japan.

0xYmDZL.png

pikIzw6.png

There is always a chance that one of the US military bases there has a fan or two. But of course they likely would already have bought the game in the States.

Skifi28

Gold Member
Is this Sony’s doing?? Can’t see any other reason for that.

I can see why older management went away. Would’ve taken down everything along with it.
Why would Sony block specifically the Japanese version that barely anyone would have bought anyway? Sounds more like Capcom back then saw the Xbox numbers in Japan and thought it was not worth it and now with the series being a huge thing and hype for the new game building up it was time to cash in.

Remember, before World the series was nowhere near as popular as it is now.

Last edited:
Because it's not really worth the port, there's only 140k Xbox Ones in Japan.

Why would Sony block specifically the Japanese version that barely anyone would have bought anyway? Sounds more like Capcom back then saw the Xbox numbers in Japan and thought it was not worth it and now with the series being a huge thing and hype for the new game building up it was time to cash in.

Remember, before World the series was nowhere near as popular as it is now.
This is puzzling.

Xbox One port was ready. Localization was done for other versions. What extra work was required than to copy paste audio/text files in xbone version??

At 10% attach rate, it would’ve generated half million usd profit.

I don’t think any corporation would leave that on table, especially when the work is already done.

Mr Moose

This is puzzling.

Xbox One port was ready. Localization was done for other versions. What extra work was required than to copy paste audio/text files in xbone version??

At 10% attach rate, it would’ve generated half million usd profit.

I don’t think any corporation would leave that on table, especially when the work is already done.
Costs money to print discs.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It is speculated that due to a PS4 exclusivity deal with Sony, the Xbox versions of the two Monster Hunter titles were region locked from Japan and the rest of Asia.

Pretty shameful deal. Surprised Capcom even went for that honestly, assuming any of that is true.

Esppiral

The game has been available for less than 9 bucks everywhere (Xbox included) now they will release it 6 years later in Japan at full price, won't sell shit, and people will say, see? No one wants to play this on Xbox...

SaintALia

Because it's not really worth the port, there's only 140k Xbox Ones in Japan.
Capcom are massive whores, they would port to anything that can conceivably run it. I'm guessing the only reason why it wasn't there in the first place is Sony paying for exclusivity. They usually lock down any good AAA Japanese game that has worldwide appeal and Japanese devs are usually eager to do the deal given Xbox not doing too well in Japan and they can late port, and Nintendo hardware being able to run to like the main character, two enemies and rendering 2 feet in front of the player before it starts choking on it's own hardware.

That and it seems 'console exclusive' now ignores PC, so it's a win win for everyone involved. I'm guessing they've locked down World 2, and despite what SE says, will have at least limited exclusivity in the next mainline FF game.

Last edited:
We don't really know why, but can speculate. Possible reasons:

1. Capcom leveraging their bargaining power for future exclusivity deals.
2. Low cost to port/localize for XSX.
3. Potential Game Pass money.
4. Generate more buzz for Wilds.
5. It was ready to go and just waiting for the existing deal to expire.
6. They committed to doing this and are being forced into it.

Perhaps a combination of multiple factors above. In any case, it doesn't seem like it would take a ton of time/effort to do this.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
-crying gif

Exact same reason why they paid for Street Fighter, Forspoken, Silent Hill 2, FF XVI and FF VII : because nobody plays these games on Xbox.
If this is the hill you want to continue to cry on, have at it. The audience for these games, in Japan, is not on Xbox. Whether Sony pays or otherwise.

If that’s false, provide the receipts with these phantom Xbox owners buying Japanese games in any kind of abundance with a sub 200K unit total in the region who would buy more if not for the big, bad, Blue wolf.

Last edited:
Top Bottom