• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MrBeast about to pass T-Series in youtube subs

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

SantaC

Gold Member
Don't know what T-series is but Mr. Beast is just a douche. Anyone that just destroys things for views can fuck right off.
T-Series is some random music label company in india who got offended by people subbing for pewdiepie.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Mr. Beast is just a douche

I think in my limited experience of Youtube influencers he seems like a pretty good one.

He's done good work planting literally millions of trees, bulk collecting rubbish out the seas, supplied schools with supplies and cured people's blindness.

Yes, he did all these things on videos that were sponsored/had adverts, but we're not exactly awash with other people using their influencer platforms for similar things, so I say good on him.

Even if he has blown up a boat or whatever.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I think in my limited experience of Youtube influencers he seems like a pretty good one.

He's done good work planting literally millions of trees, bulk collecting rubbish out the seas, supplied schools with supplies and cured people's blindness.

Yes, he did all these things on videos that were sponsored/had adverts, but we're not exactly awash with other people using their influencer platforms for similar things, so I say good on him.

Even if he has blown up a boat or whatever.

I don't share this positive view of him.

Yeah he does these charity stunts, but the whole course of his channel has always been this extremely exploitative "watch me (maybe) give this person a huge wad of cash because I'm rich" and it's the most depressing shit to feed to millions of kids every day, who latch onto this wealth obsession hard

o31SAs.jpg

FzOTGs.jpg

CxZySV.jpg

Honestly, he made the world a worse place by a mile. He led this style of content and its dominance to young viewers. It's cynical and gross no matter how much he does the charity video here and there to try and offset it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't share this positive view of him.

Yeah he does these charity stunts, but the whole course of his channel has always been this extremely exploitative "watch me (maybe) give this person a huge wad of cash because I'm rich" and it's the most depressing shit to feed to millions of kids every day, who latch onto this wealth obsession hard

o31SAs.jpg

FzOTGs.jpg

CxZySV.jpg

Honestly, he made the world a worse place by a mile. He led this style of content and its dominance to young viewers. It's cynical and gross no matter how much he does the charity video here and there to try and offset it.

Tbh, I don't think the videos you've highlighted there are playing much of a role in dismantling society.

I think the whole rich people giving poor people stuff for likes is a particularly grim genre of YouTube video - I've seen enough videos that pair "emotional" music with first person footage of someone giving a homeless person a big mac meal (always junkfood, why is it never something good?) and waiting to be told "bless your heart" in the comments section a few hundred times. That is indeed exploitative and yucky imo.

I think Mr Beast's model is essentially to make money from merchandising and other business while he invests everything his videos make into making the next video, and this is how his stunts have become ever more extravagant. So, I think that when you see him being rich and (maybe) giving things to people, that he is actually just giving people things that his videos have earnt. I think he really is giving people things. So, in that sense I think he's a self made man. He's not really flaunting his wealth, he's got a video making business that uses all it's money to make more videos.

For whatever reason, people do seem to like seeing pizza delivery guys arrive at a house and be told that the house is theirs if they would like it. And how terrible that is, I guess, is through the eye of the beholder. The "last to take your hand off" videos are a bit of a sitcom trope, afaik, I don't know how often it happens in American Malls, but I've seen the setup in a number of different TV shows, so I assume it's not a whole new level of exploitation dreamt up by Mr Beast.

And in defense of his charitable causes, firstly he absolutely didn't need to do it. He would have been massive just giving cars and houses to people, or staging Squid Game recreations, or playing hide and seek in deserted stadiums. In a sense, he's making and presenting the ultimate gameshow, over and over again. For as long as anyone can remember, people have been appearing on TV to try and win money, cars and holidays. It's no different really. I think current Mr Beast videos are actually amongst the best gameshows on TV - the aforementioned Squid Game video, the recent one which pit one person of every age in a battle of wits to steal the prize, the real time escape video he did recently etc. Etc. I'm not really sure he's doing anything really new in a lot of his videos but he is doing it with a modern spin and crucially is doing it really very well, maybe better than anyone else.

But where this is different is that if you were the head of a TV channel you absolutely would not sign off on Steve Harvey leaving the TV studio to go plant some trees instead of presenting Family Feud. The ratings would crater. Or at least they would once you'd done that a few times.

That might be why Mr Beast has spun those things off to his philanthropy channel now, but A) he has a philanthropy channel, unlike the other YouTubers, and B) he absolutely has manage to spotlight some big problems and deliver some real benefit to the world. When was the last time someone got Jimmy Kimmel to talk about cleaning up the ocean?

When was the last time a YouTuber got 20m trees planted?

When was the last time it was explained to you that some people are blind because they can't afford a relatively simple operation?

How often do YouTubers dig drinking water wells in Africa?

Etc. Etc.

As said above, he didn't need to do these things, he was already wildly popular just making videos giving people 1 minute to buy whatever they wanted in Walmart.

And so, while there are things about YouTube that absolutely are exploitative, I'm not really of the opinion that Mr Beast is in the same category, I think he's mostly making gameshows now. And nobody has a problem with them elsewhere. I also think he's doing it better - it's just good entertainment, he's doing it better than the TV channels (and arguably no less professionally at this point). And if Steve Harvey makes a video where he funds a homeless shelter for a year, the question is would you hold up that he's made some fairly cruel jokes about some stupid people's answers on his TV show, which I might add people have only appeared on to try and win money, or would you congratulate him for doing something good?

And he's 26.

I think you could probably put Mr Beast on the unblock list if you were worried that YouTube was going to lead to moral decline.

Kenpachii

Problem i have with it is.

"look at me, i can make poor people do my bidding because i got money and they do not now now fetch poor person".

Also with charity's and helping people. While its nice he helps people, bragging about it and making money of said people is the exact same shit i just said 2 seconds ago.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Depressing stuff...

Isn't he the dude who always walks around with cash suitcases, because no one would care about him if he didn't ?
I remember his "if you click on my ad you'll get 1000$" youtube ads. Reminded me of the dudes who had to pay for frinedship in highschool.
I know he makes huge loads of money with his vids but the idea is the same, no one would watch his shit if he didn't give away $$$ just as no one would hang with those type of guys in high school if they didn't pay everyone weed, beer, etc.

If he wants to give me money for nothing tho i'll gladly take it of course.

I have like 1 subscriber to my YouTube channel, who happens to be a desperate milf, lol

Don't talk about your mum like that

plz don't come after me I'm a lover not a fighter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

India apparently 😅

He should do a video in India and he'd win instantly lol. What has T-series ever done, except exist.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Problem i have with it is.

"look at me, i can make poor people do my bidding because i got money and they do not now now fetch poor person".

Pretty much all his videos are "if you want to be in a video, make sure you're following because we'll ask random followers if they want to take part."

I don't think it's any different to appearing on a gameshow. There might be some things I am not aware of, but I'm pretty sure he's not ambushing people and asking them to dance in exchange for a hot meal. (waiting for someone to post a video that's exactly that...)

Also with charity's and helping people. While its nice he helps people, bragging about it and making money of said people is the exact same shit i just said 2 seconds ago.

The guy set up a non-profit organisation to do that kind of stuff so I don't think he is making money off it. He could have skipped doing that and just put all those videos out on his main channel and cranked the monetisation up and watched the money roll in.

But, even if he hadn't, if you were a Youtuber for a living, would there be anything wrong in telling people about curing people's blindness or cleaning up the world's dirtiest beach or planting millions of trees? In all of those cases, he's teamed up with charities doing that work so that the public can get involved and help, to do it for no personal gain is pretty decent of him, IMO. Bear in mind he has been one of the biggest youtube channels in the world for a long time, so this stuff isn't giving him a meaningful boost.

If you were one of those whose sight had been restored, I'd wager that you'd rather be on a youtube video than blind. You may well rather not be blind and not be on the video, but the video makes the work possible, that's what pays for being able to do it, and what's more the charitable donations that come in mean that someone else won't be blind too. There's a good case for saying that highlighting these causes does good, and what is one of the most popular Youtubers in the world highlighting your cause is probably an incredible boost. This is probably the best promo those organisations are ever going to get and I can imagine they benefit far more from the videos than if Mr Beast had just thrown a million dollars at them anonymously. Plus, who knows, perhaps he donates secretly too.

I think he seems like a good guy to be honest. There are plenty of people who aren't doing anything with their platform or their money or their status who could. Maybe they don't like to talk about it, but criticising the guy who definitely is using his resources to do good, is not really the right person to criticise, IMO.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I think you could probably put Mr Beast on the unblock list if you were worried that YouTube was going to lead to moral decline.
But I see this from the position of a parent, with kids who watch YouTube sometimes (well... I heavily regulate it now, but they still do for limited times, and with their friends, etc). And I will say that MrBeast's style of video is the sleaziest kind of crap out there.

Everything is money with him. Cash, huge numbers, huge stacks of cash, and that same borderline psychopathic face on the thumbnails in front of whatever massive pile of cash and numbers. That's what brings the young viewers in. They want to see the amazing cash, the antics to get the cash, the feeling that he's so rich he can do anything etc.

I don't really care if he does good things on the side, or if his conscious intentions are good in some cases. His surface impact on kids and YouTube is awful. He has created a style that further infests the platform, since everyone else now chases this approach for getting millions of kids to subscribe (who shouldn't have accts anyway, for what it's worth... minors shouldn't be allowed to have YouTube accts, to "subscribe" to anything, or to be monetized at all; if you did that, someone like MrBeast never would have come about in the first place).

I've despised his channel for years, but don't get me started on how he became about 100x worse through the Chris debacle. A member of his little troupe -- who was married with a kid, and the young viewers know this -- left his family and dresses up like a woman now, and Beast doesn't really care if it's millions of 8-year olds watching this unfold. Because, deep down, he's a horrible narcissist.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ive never seen a Mr Beast video.

It's surreal ain't it, like your just able to not be involved in something that is apparently massive.

Like the first time I had any contact with his content was when there was suddenly an overpriced chocolate bar in my shop called "Deez nutz"

Ironically it's now one of the few chocolates in the UK that still tastes like chocolate, Cadbury, Terry's, Frys have all got this shitty waxy taste now. Nestle arnt quiet as bad but they have a notisable dip in taste (almost like it's been frozen for too long) and or course shrinkflation.

It's pretty much only premium brand bars now that still taste like they should and ironically the Mr Beast range is one of them, credit where credit is due.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
But I see this from the position of a parent, with kids who watch YouTube sometimes (well... I heavily regulate it now, but they still do for limited times, and with their friends, etc). And I will say that MrBeast's style of video is the sleaziest kind of crap out there.

Everything is money with him. Cash, huge numbers, huge stacks of cash, and that same borderline psychopathic face on the thumbnails in front of whatever massive pile of cash and numbers. That's what brings the young viewers in. They want to see the amazing cash, the antics to get the cash, the feeling that he's so rich he can do anything etc.

I don't really care if he does good things on the side, or if his conscious intentions are good in some cases. His surface impact on kids and YouTube is awful. He has created a style that further infests the platform, since everyone else now chases this approach for getting millions of kids to subscribe (who shouldn't have accts anyway, for what it's worth... minors shouldn't be allowed to have YouTube accts, to "subscribe" to anything, or to be monetized at all; if you did that, someone like MrBeast never would have come about in the first place).

I've despised his channel for years, but don't get me started on how he became about 100x worse through the Chris debacle. A member of his little troupe -- who was married with a kid, and the young viewers know this -- left his family and dresses up like a woman now, and Beast doesn't really care if it's millions of 8-year olds watching this unfold. Because, deep down, he's a horrible narcissist.

I think you're very wise to shield your children from things you don't approve of, but I guess the question is how much of a kids' channel it is, as a full grown adult I think it's entertaining enough to watch every now and again (I definitely am not a habitual viewer but I have seen more than 30 videos at a guess), how suitable it is for children is up for debate, I would side with you on this though - a recent video had a team of guys firing thousands of rounds of ammunition into a boat, I would say that guns as a vehicle for fun is also not a great message for young children. I think it's probably fair to say that Youtube in general isn't for kids, there's all kinds of violence, and whatever else on there, I would say that Mr Beast is probably not aiming his content at children but I might be wrong.

But, like I've said a few times in this thread, a lot of his stuff is just gameshow formats. And the money grabbing nature of that has been part of entertainment for pretty much as long as tvs have been in houses. I'm not sure it's any different, or more instructional a way of life.

Drew1440

Eh I like Jimmy, so well deserved. Though I miss the days of Smosh and Ray William Johnson being the most subscribed.

Top Bottom