• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muslims raising money to repair vandalized Jewish cemetery

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmax

This is what America truly is about.

After the desecration of a Jewish cemetery in St. Louis over the long holiday weekend, an incident in which more than 150 headstones were toppled or damaged, two American Muslim activists started a fundraiser to help pay for needed repairs.

”Through this campaign, we hope to send a united message from the Jewish and Muslim communities that there is no place for this type of hate, desecration, and violence in America," the fundraising page on the site LaunchingGood reads. ”We pray that this restores a sense of security and peace to the Jewish-American community who has undoubtedly been shaken by this event."

Within a few hours of going up Tuesday afternoon, the page had exceeded its goal of raising $20,000.

”That story goes to show more than anything the humanity of the prophet. ... We should bring the story to life here and show every person deserves to rest in peace," El-Messidi said. ”This is a great way to show respect and honor for our Jewish cousins."

Since the rise of hate crime incidents after the November election, both Muslim and Jewish communities in the United States have been targeted, their institutions are threatened, their people bullied. It's a shared experience that is bringing them together in solidarity, El-Messidi said.

”This is really a human issue," he said. ”But out of this horrible election cycle, something beautiful has come out of it and [Muslims and Jews have] bonded together to support each other and stand up to this hate. Politics can get in the way of our basic humanity; I hope this breaks through all those walls, no pun intended, to help bring us closer together."

Wastington Post

chicago-migrant-demo-2.jpg

In the hilarious section, here is Chris Cuomo totally embarrassing Rick Santorum who claimed that it was Muslims that were vandalizing the Jewish cemetaries.

Donation page in question.

Reaction from J.K Rowling.

Peace and love, y'all.

Glix

Did he fucking really!!?!?!?

Listen I get heated in OT and stuff but I never do what I am about to do.

I hope his car DIES and hes just stuck on the side of the road. Fanning the flames of hate between two groups who are already hateful enough towards each other, with LIES, for POLITICS is UNFORGIVABLE.

Wow. Just fucking wow.

LOL. Get fucked Rick "Frothy Effluent" Santorum.

On a better note, this is an amazing story, and one which tends to get buried under the metric fuck-ton of horrible news we are all soaking in.

Trouble

Banned
Man, fuck Rick Santorum. Trying to insinuate that Muslims were responsible for the vandalism is more disgusting than a frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter.

BlitzKeeg

This is the kind of solidarity we need to see. Across all people too, not just between religious groups. I love it!

Also, lol at the guy on youtube calling kmax an "anti-white racist" or some garbage. I hope you're still looking at this thread, because you're a coward. Why don't you say that crap on here and face your ban? Then you can run off to voat like the rest of you slime.

How deep is the rift between jews and muslims here in America in terms of those of faith? By that same token, does that rift lessen the less devoutly religious these people are? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of defining jews as a religion and as a race. Most jews that I know are not religious, so it's hard to classify them in the first place. But I still avoid asking questions about faith because of how capricious this issue can be.

The only muslim I follow from a pop culture perspective is Zaki Hasan, who has a movie podcast, but he hardly discusses his faith in depth, but delegates it to another podcast of his called Diffused Congruence. I've never really put any thought into this, but everything I hear about muslims in the news is that're devout, disgruntled, and potentially prone to radicalization (both here and all over the globe). I don't believe this to be true, but it's become so ubiquitous that when you see a muslim who speaks out on radicalization in the news, it's almost treated like a Loch Ness Monster sighting before being swept under the rug and replaced by page one stories of ISIS, or a bombing in Paris.

I know the hatred between both jews and muslims outside of the U.S. is thick, but honestly, my knowledge on the topic is only limited to the formation of Israel, and even that is rudimentary.

edit: Oh, and fuck Rick Santorum too!

This is the kind of solidarity we need to see. Across all people too, not just between religious groups. I love it!

Also, lol at the guy on youtube calling kmax an "anti-white racist" or some garbage. I hope you're still looking at this thread, because you're a coward. Why don't you say that crap on here and face your ban? Then you can run off to voat like the rest of you slime.

Because he probably already is banned, and I'll tell you what, as a white cis male, I'd take one kmax over a hundred of that type of spineless, chinless, waste of sperm and egg.

As far as Santorum, and all his ilk, I hope he loses everything one day and has to live on the street.

Glix

How deep is the rift between jews and muslims here in America in terms of those of faith? By that same token, does that rift lessen the less devoutly religious these people are? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of defining jews as a religion and as a race. Most jews that I know are not religious, so it's hard to classify them in the first place. But I still avoid asking questions about faith because of how capricious this issue can be.

The only muslim I follow from a pop culture perspective is Zaki Hasan, who has a movie podcast, but he hardly discusses his faith in depth, but delegates it to another podcast of his called Diffused Congruence. I've never really put any thought into this, but everything I hear about muslims in the news is that're devout, disgruntled, and potentially prone to radicalization (both here and all over the globe). I don't believe this to be true, but it's become so ubiquitous that when you see a muslim who speaks out on radicalization in the news, it's almost treated like a Loch Ness Monster sighting before being swept under the rug and replaced by page one stories of ISIS, or a bombing in Paris.

I know the hatred between both jews and muslims outside of the U.S. is thick, but honestly, my knowledge on the topic is only limited to the formation of Israel, and even that is rudimentary.

The right wing jews I know are obsessed with the idea of "Arabs" being violent animals that are born that way and will never know anything different.

They rarely mention US Muslims, so its hard to say, but if I had to guess Id say they lump them all in together.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Use some common sense. There are over a billion Muslims in the world. If they were all crazy Killers then we would have been dead a long time ago.

Also did you just say you can't define Jews as a religion? What?

Use some common sense. There are over a billion Muslims in the world. If they were all crazy Killers then we would have been dead a long time ago.

Also did you just say you can't define Jews as a religion? What?

I'm going by the way alot of jews, particularly my friends, who tend to define themselves as jews racially rather than by faith. Not that any of that ever matters to me, but it's just a mild observation as an atheist. And no, I don't believe that the vast majority of muslims are terrorists. I was commenting on how the news has been slanted so heavily into the narrative that muslims are terrorists, and how it's become easily accepted as par for the course, even to those who are aware of this bullshit narrative that's at play.

One of the reasons I enjoy listening to Zaki Hasan is because he offers a rare perspective in an otherwise muddled echo chamber. Much like how secular jewish comedians aren't as so black and white when it comes to their faith, such as Robin Williams, Marc Maron, or Sarah Silverman.

Seems like there's been more attacks:

'Hundreds' of US Jewish graves attacked in Philadelphia - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39082013

Trump's rhetoric is impacting everyone. Good job you negligent, underqualified, ill prepared, bumbling amateur of a leader and politician.

At first when I saw the report, I thought to myself "didn't this happen last week?" and then it turned out this was a second attack. Not to mention the multiple Jewish synagogues/schools/businesses that have received death and bomb threat. Like wtf is wrong with people.

Seems like there's been more attacks:

'Hundreds' of US Jewish graves attacked in Philadelphia - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39082013

Trump's rhetoric is impacting everyone. Good job you negligent, underqualified, ill prepared, bumbling amateur of a leader and politician.

I think it's appropriate to point out that this cemetery is located a five/ten minute drive from the only cluster of voting wards in Philadelphia county to have a significant percentage of votes for Trump.

Ryuukan

I think it's appropriate to point out that this cemetery is located a five/ten minute drive from the only cluster of voting wards in Philadelphia county to have a significant percentage of votes for Trump.

these are the same people who point out Jared Kushner and Ivanka when you question Trump's administration about anti-semitism

Jared and Ivanka don't deal with anti-semitism because they live in their own world, not ours

these are the same people who point out Jared Kushner and Ivanka when you question Trump's administration about anti-semitism

Jared and Ivanka don't deal with anti-semitism because they live in their own world, not ours

Eh, you're giving people from the northeast too much credit. They're typically much more overt about their racism.

Jag

At first when I saw the report, I thought to myself "didn't this happen last week?" and then it turned out this was a second attack. Not to mention the multiple Jewish synagogues/schools/businesses that have received death and bomb threat. Like wtf is wrong with people.

Local Jewish Community Center was just evacuated after bomb threats. I have friends with little kids there that were rushed out and moved to a local church who took them in. Apparently 16 centers were targeted today.

Syder

American Muslims & Jews need to band together against the increased hate they're going to be facing over the next 4 years.

Fuck hate crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom