• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on Science, Religion and the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Great talk.

It's sad that some religious people will - as Tyson said - always use God to explain the unexplainable.

Ahhh, the ignorance in this world. It saddens me.

RankoSD

Thank you for the link, I really like listening to this man.

This is such a beautiful video, even though I knew all that stuff, from 4:50, it always blows my mind seeing it visually:

http://vimeo.com/83791897

If anyone knows any good cosmic screensaver for Windows please do share.

Air

Banned
Nice talk. I like this Bill Moyer guy. I've been watching the videos for the past hour or so.

I will watch this later although I will recommend people check out Colbert's interview with NDT.

It's rare insight into both men, especially Colbert.

Kikarian

Enjoyed it.

I think he's right about the bible being an ever changing story. Made relative only by what science proves.

kick51

Banned
You poor thing. It must be tiring sitting atop your judgmental perch.

how that post judgmental? did they need to include a citation to refer to something everyone knows (that SOME religious people are ignorant)? it must be tiring catching feelings about nothing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally I've always appreciated Tyson's general approach to subjects like religion; rather than expend effort trying to "fight" that which he may not agree with as a scientist, focus on encouraging people to ask why-why-why at everything they encounter. Just don't settle and keep asking why.

Things tend to sort themselves out then.

snap0212

He is a hypocritic himself. Multiverse? Dark matter? All therory
I dislike him as well, mainly because he's annoyingly patriotic. He's bothered by the fact that it might be the Chinese who discover something and not NASA. He's an idiot in that regard, but the theory you're talking about is not like you and me saying "so, I have a theory about all of this". It's not an idea or a showerthought or something.

Izayoi

Banned
He's a great guy, but I still don't have faith that he won't fuck up Cosmos. It just seems too sacred to mess with, you know?

Moyers: "You think there could be another universe?"

Tyson: "I don't see why not, because back when we thought earth was alone in the universe, we learned that there are other planets. That the earth is just a planet, one of many. 'Well the sun is surely special'; No, the sun is just one of one hundred billion other suns. 'The galaxy, "The Milky Way!"'; No, the galaxy is part of one hundred billion other galaxies. 'How bout "The Universe"?'; We have philosophical precedent to suggest that: why should nature make anything in ones? Okay? [Laughs]. Everything we thought was unique or special, we found more of them."

Nerokis

He is a hypocritic himself. Multiverse? Dark matter? All therory

I dislike him as well, mainly because he's annoyingly patriotic. He's bothered by the fact that it might be the Chinese who discover something and not NASA. He's an idiot in that regard, but the theory you're talking about is not like you and me saying "so, I have a theory about all of this". It's not an idea or a showerthought or something.

God, you guys. We without avatars are supposed to be better than this!

1). I don't think either the multiverse or dark matter ideas are considered "theory" yet. They're still hypotheses, I thought, which does happen to be closer to what you mean when you used the word "theory", samven582. I highly doubt Neil deGrasse Tyson believes in those things religiously. They're pieces that fit very gracefully into this or that model of the universe, and there's real evidence at least for the existence of dark matter, but the framework in which he views those ideas is one of constantly evolving science.

2). You dislike him because he's biased toward NASA? Because he sees value in a nation being ambitious, and considers space as a key part to that? Because it bothers him that American leaders seem so apathetic about this issue, even though we could easily invest so much more time and resources into it, and a very obvious way to motivate people to actually care about this stuff is to point to what other countries are doing? That's pretty odd, I have to say. Your threshold for calling someone like Neil deGrasse Tyson an idiot is ridiculously low.

Anyway, thanks for posting this interview, OP. I'll definitely give it a watch soon.

Ishida

Banned
Thanks. Great talk.

It's sad that some religious people will - as Tyson said - always use God to explain the unexplainable.

Wow.... How old are you?

baxter-cain-baseketball-gif-disgust.gif

Leatherface

21:40

The look Neil deGrasse Tyson gives Bill Moyer in response to his statement on Dark Matter / Religion is fucking PRICELESS. Someone screenshot it. I'm too lazy and at work anyway. LOL

Leatherface

Wow.... How old are you?

baxter-cain-baseketball-gif-disgust.gif

He said SOME and it's true people do use "god" to fill in the gaps when there are no answers to give. Always have. It just goes to show how arrogant we are as humans. How we MUST have ALL the answers and if not. If we can not comprehend or understand.. Oh well then, it must be GOD doing that.

Nerokis

21:40

The look Neil deGrasse Tyson gives Bill Moyer in response to his statement on Dark Matter / Religion is fucking PRICELESS. Someone screenshot it. I'm too lazy and at work anyway. LOL

Oh man, you're right. It's especially hilarious because Bill Moyers' statement so warranted it.

Almighty

Yeah saw this a few days ago and enjoyed it. Then again I enjoy most of Moyer's interviews. Now that I think about it he is probably my favorite interviewer.

Mona

Banned
love me some Tyson, stumbling on some youtube videos of him when i was like 17 really expanded my horizons, that lead me into look at special relativity and time dilation and stuff and thinking "wtf, how come nobody ever taught me this stuff, this is a huge wake-up call to what reality really is"

Ishida

Banned
He said SOME and it's true people do use "god" to fill in the gaps when there are no answers to give. Always have. It just goes to show how arrogant we are as humans. How we MUST have ALL the answers and if not. If we can not comprehend or understand.. Oh well then, it must be GOD doing that.

Check out the line that I bolded. I was referring to his "Oooh, the ignorance in this world saddens me". Like what? Is he some kind of wise man? A scientist? We are all ignorant in many areas. To me, saying stuff like "the ignorance in the world saddens me" is a very arrogant and pathetic expression.

Because I would love to read the guy's scientific discoveries and theories.

It basically sounds like "Oooh, all the ugly people in the world, it's so sad..."

Jaffaboy

Thanks. Great talk.

For everyone quoting this and disagreeing, you do all realise that there is an incredible amount of evidence of people doing this throughout recorded history and into present day? This is not an immature argument whatsoever, and anyone who does use God to fill in gaps where they don't understand something can only be described as ignorant.

Funnily enough, you only have to watch one of Neil deGrasse Tyson's presentations on YouTube to know this. He talks about incredibly smart scientists and philosophers such as Gallileo and Newton that are guilty of this. They were like, the smartest human beings of their time, yet still ignorant compared to what we know today. If they'd had a different mindset of 'Maybe with a bit more time I can come up with an explanation' instead of 'Dunno, God!' then MAYBE we'd have progressed more than we have currently.

Check out the line that I bolded. I was referring to his "Oooh, the ignorance in this world saddens me". Like what? Is he some kind of wise man? A scientist? We are all ignorant in many areas. To me, saying stuff like "the ignorance in the world saddens me" is a very arrogant and pathetic expression.

It basically sounds like "Oooh, all the ugly people in the world, it's so sad..."
No, it sounds like "Oooh, all the ignorant people in the world, it's so sad...". I don't think it should be very controversial to say that holding religious beliefs above science is ignorant.

Ishida

Banned
No, it sounds like "Oooh, all the ignorant people in the world, it's so sad...". I don't think it should be very controversial to say that holding religious beliefs above science is ignorant.

Which is a very arrogant expression, since we're all ignorant in many areas. Hell, I highly doubt he knows more about science than Mr. deGrasse, which makes him ignorant.

How can you stand in a pedestal and feel "sad" for all the ignorant people in the world? What a funny way to stand in a soap box.

I'm sorry you feel that way. What I was trying to say is that there are some things that people shouldn't be ignorant of in the 21st century. What saddens me, is the concious ignorance of some people. The choice to stay ignorant and the choice to expain the - as of yet - unexplainable by blurting out the word "God". It's God that did this. Dark matter? God, my friend.

I'm mostly talking about some religious people that choose to shrug away scientific discoveries and scientific facts. Of which there are many. We probably all know people like this, which proves my point: there is a lot of this "brand" of ignorance still present, when it absolutely shouldn't.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Which is a very arrogant expression, since we're all ignorant in many areas. Hell, I highly doubt he knows more about science than Mr. deGrasse, which makes him ignorant.

How can you stand in a pedestal and feel "sad" for all the ignorant people in the world? What a funny way to stand in a soap box.

You're really bending over backwards to make what he said offensive. It could just as easily be read as him lamenting that everyone doesn't have the same educational opportunities that allow them to not be ignorant in such matters.

Isn't he remaking cosmos? When is that coming out?

The first episode airs March 9th on Fox and National Geographic.

Ishida

Banned
I'm sorry you feel that way. What I was trying to say is that there are some things that people shouldn't be ignorant of in the 21st century. What saddens me, is the concious ignorance of some people. The choice to stay ignorant and the choice to expain the - as of yet - unexplainable by blurting out the word "God". It's God that did this. Dark matter? God, my friend.

Oh, and I agree with that. I thought you were talking about general ignorance, not only related to replacing currently unexaplainable events with God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom