• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on Transforming American Culture and Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to have a discussion about America being more ambitious, and not settling when it comes to government.

I feel we're so jaded about our system that we're so happy to accept whatever we can get. But rather than being afraid of what could possibly happen if we don't settle, I feel like we need to aim higher, and reach for the stars.

Neil deGrasse Tyson, while speaking about Newt Gingrich, I felt made this point quite eloquently. Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJBC5rHxYcA

When it comes to things like healthcare, or education, I really feel like there's no reason why these things shouldn't be basic rights of all Americans, the way they are in Europe, or Canada.

I would argue that we definitely have the money to make these things a reality in America, but we simply don't put enough value behind them, or we're so jaded by our government that we've simply accepted that it can't be done with the system that we currently have in place.

So rather than settling with what we currently have... bought out politicians tell us "no, it can't be done", why don't we do something about it? Our country was founded on this belief.

I'd like to go ahead and leave these quotes here as well.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
- Thomas Paine

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."
- JFK

"We are not here to curse the darkness, but to light a candle that can guide us through the darkness to a safe and sure future. For the world is changing. The old era is ending. The old ways will not do."
- JFK

We can't do anything about it because the average person is easily swayed. The big companies give face time to the politician they want elected, and the people vote for them because they're told to.

To get what your asking, the average person needs to not be easily swayed, but they are.

Kelsdesu

An educated populace is exactly what most in the government/corporations don't want.
As mentioned above the people are easily swayed by what is shoved in their face.

I always get really bad vibes from NGT. I remember there was an old onion or Clickhole story about how he made a little girl cry because she was wrong about something, and it was great because it seemed like something he would do. Don't like him.

We can't do anything about it because the average person is easily swayed. The big companies give face time to the politician they want elected, and the people vote for them because they're told to.

To get what your asking, the average person needs to not be easily swayed, but they are.
Not to mention the lobbying, the corporations are people and more, all that shit gotta end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom