• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil deGrasse Tyson speaks weights in on Mjornir. But who is worthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://gizmodo.com/5982302/thors-ha...-3-billion-elephants-says-neil-degrasse-tyson

Neil deGrasse Tyson just took the mystery out of a cosmic legend in comics, and somehow made it even cooler. How much does Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor and forged from a collapsing star, actually weigh? Turns out, stars weigh a lot.

If Thor's hammer is made of neutron-star matter, implied by legend, then it weighs as much as a herd of 300-billion elephants
— Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson) February 5, 2013

And then, naturally, he got his hands on the real thing.

Just an FYI: Thor was kind enough to lend me Mjölnir so that I could make the proper measurements. twitter.com/neiltyson/stat…
— Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson) February 6, 2013

Anyone want to bang out the math on Cap's shield on a napkin while we're at it? [Twitter]

fear-itself-7-018.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I don't see how he's worthy to carry the real thing if supes and goku arent

FairyD

I don't see how he's worthy to carry the real thing if supes and goku arent

Superman was able to wield it in JLA/Avengers, but only after gods made it possible for a short time. I think Wonder Woman was the only person in DC worthy enough to hold it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Whoa. He is badass in that pic.

He competed in wrestling and rowing at Harvard, and was also a competitive ballroom dancer at UT. I consider him a Renaissance man. He's one of the few celebrities in the world whose hand I really want to shake.

The fans voted the winner. Hell, Superboy lost to Spider-Man and Captain America lost to Batman.

Eh, Cap could beat Batman. Batman could beat Cap. That's the only one where it's a fair fight. Cap technically has the edge due to having superhuman strength but Batman's fought similarly powered foes before.

Slayven

The fans voted the winner. Hell, Superboy lost to Spider-Man and Captain America lost to Batman.
That was TK Superboy, not as strong as Half Kryptionian superboy, but 10x more cool.

1. That's one of the stupidest outfits Wonder Woman has ever worn, which is saying a lot
2. Who the hell loses to Storm when you have Thor x Wonder Woman powers?
WW dropped the hammer because it wouldn't be fair.

Eh, Cap could beat Batman. Batman could beat Cap. That's the only one where it's a fair fight. Cap technically has the edge due to having superhuman strength but Batman's fought similarly powered foes before.

Yeah and we know how that goes.'

LakeEarth

Wouldn't that be so heavy that it falling from the sky and hitting the ground would destroy the planet? Or have a greater gravitational force?

Oh right, magic.

MisterHero

back to Neil deGrasse Tyson, I hope they can put a moment like this into Man of Steel

in this short story, he helps find Krypton. Using Superman's age and what they think happened to Krypton, Tyson and his team actually locate it.

How do they know it's Krypton? The light from Krypton exploding just reached Earth, 27 years after it exploded. Superman and the others actually witness the end of Krypton.

superman-comic-panel-bsk3r.jpg

121109125647-supermans9kdu.jpg

super-science!

Dyno

I want more information. Is Thor's hammer composed of precisely one collapsed star or just a portion of said star?

How so, you are not going to lift it with a cart jack. But if you had some super science shit you can. Destroyer a machine can lift it.

The Destroyer is not a machine. If i recall correctly, the Destroyer can lift Mjolnir because they are both made of Uru and enchanted by Odin.

Slayven

The Destroyer is not a machine. If i recall correctly, the Destroyer can lift Mjolnir because they are both made of Uru and enchanted by Odin.

Wrong. Destroyer is a machine, a mystical one but one none the less. The Destroyer is made from Rhinegold, the same stuff that makes up Odin's weapons. The thing was made to fight celestials and they would laugh at Uru.

And Airwalker an android made by Galactus BEAT Thor with Mjornir.

Tih2How.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom